I Need To Stay Awake.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commy-superman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since everyone on SDN is pretty much an over achiever and most likely spent more then a few long nights studying, I was wondering what your special formula is for staying awake. I drink coffee and it works good in the short run, but when I want to cram all night before a test it just doesn?t cut it. Is there any product, drink or vitamin that has worked good for you. Anything short of speed or over the counter meds would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

go to sleep. you are doing your body a disservice by forcing yourself to stay awake.

Members don't see this ad :)
run....

then do pushups and situps whenever you feel yourself getting tired

Yeah...

Maybe you should learn to start studying a little earlier so you won't have to cram at the last minute. Besides, you won't be able to do that in Med school. Try memorizing 1000+ terms in one night? It ain't happenin'.

I usually connect an ivy line to my arm of Red Bull.:D

dude, I always crammed my first few years. it was bad...I've learned my lesson. my 21-year-old body can't take the sleep deprivation my 19-year-old body was able to. if I knew I'd be up all night, I'd buy a few red bulls. they kill you the next day after the test, but nothing's better for staying up and studying/taking the test.

if you were at berkeley i could tell you a cafe concoction you can buy at cafe strada.

white bianca mocha with double expresso shots.

but after realizing that my lactose intolerance would not tolerate these drinks....

i had to stop. from then if i had to stay awake i tried to do it with music or something.

a few times i found out that i stay up much easier when i have a friend over...doesnt matter if they are sleeping or not. i can just stay up. so i would have them come over and study and just crash at my place. its odd but yeah.

The fear of not getting A's in classes and te fear of not getting into med school keep me awake.

Originally posted by jlee9531
but after realizing that my lactose intolerance would not tolerate these drinks....

i had to stop.

me too. . .i lived above a starbucks for 2 years and kept torturing myself by buying yummy drinks that my poor tummy just couldn't take. ahh, i stilll miss that starbucks.

what else keeps me awake? go reapply makeup so your face looks nice and then u wont wanna lie down and mess it up!

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
Yeah...

Maybe you should learn to start studying a little earlier so you won't have to cram at the last minute. Besides, you won't be able to do that in Med school. Try memorizing 1000+ terms in one night? It ain't happenin'.

I do study earlier, but before a test I never feel ready, and i end up "trying" to study all night. If i dont do that and do bad on the test, I end up feeling that I did bad because I didnt put in the extra effort the night before. I know I'm not the only one who does this.

whenever i need to stay up, i eat. my stomach insists on being fed if it's going to stay awake. plus, i dont like sleeping feeling full, so i won't go to sleep after eating. course, it's a surefire way to gain weight, but....

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by musiclink213
whenever i need to stay up, i eat. my stomach insists on being fed if it's going to stay awake. plus, i dont like sleeping feeling full, so i won't go to sleep after eating. course, it's a surefire way to gain weight, but....

Wow, im the exact opposite, as soon as I eat I fall into food coma. Not eating actually wakes me up.

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
Yeah...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hahahaha.....that's what you think.....

anyway, i hate doing all-nighters that involve caffeine. it may keep you up for a few hours but you feel gross the next day, when you actually have to perform under pressure. so i usually don't use anything. if you feel yourself fading fast, you can always take the 20 minute power nap....if you think you can wake up, that is....

Originally posted by care bear
me too. . .i lived above a starbucks for 2 years and kept torturing myself by buying yummy drinks that my poor tummy just couldn't take. ahh, i stilll miss that starbucks.

what else keeps me awake? go reapply makeup so your face looks nice and then u wont wanna lie down and mess it up!

my stomach can't handle the lactose very well either...although it is getting better. Nonfat milk has less lactose so you can order a nonfat drink at starbucks. There is no reason to give up starbucks...at least until I find a better coffee shop.

I never had Red Bull. What does it taste like?

Originally posted by Ebola
I never had Red Bull. What does it taste like?

Don't try it, u ll get hooked.

I try and keep right on top of things from the start and keep a solid study schedule from the git go. Lots of starbucks along the way ;)

I'll work long, solid blocks of time, take a 30 minute nap, then get back up and study some more. Then I try and taper off before the actual exam. Just the light stuff the day before or day of.

Overnighters are asking for trouble, our bods just can't handle it I don't think.

is redbull healthy? a lot of my friends crash about 12 hours after a couple.

Caffiene...that really the only legal way to keep yourself up....sometimes I stand so that I cant fall over and sleep on my notebook or walk around and talk to myself...explain the material to myself outlound...talking keeps me awake...

I tried redbull for the hell of it saturday morning to see if it kept me more focused, but since i want tried I dont think it worked. I was studying gylcolysis/Kreb cycle in biochem at the time and I found it funny that when I read the ingredients for Redbull i knew what niacin did.

Originally posted by NRAI2001
I usually connect an ivy line to my arm of Red Bull.:D

It's IV, actually.