General Admissions & OTCAS I need to take a (1-3 credit) Medical Terminology Course online... any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some of the schools I am going to apply to require (1-3 credits) medical terminology. I have seen courses online where you get a Medical terminology certificate. I don't think that is what I need.

Any suggestions of where I can take an online medical terminology class that grad schools will accept as credit? I'm going to check local community colleges, so far I am having no luck. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg!

Members don't see this ad.

Clovis Community College offers it online, I think its about 360 bucks total (three credits). Free application.You get started right away. You can schedule classes til the 9th I think

I took Medical terminology online from UC San Diego Extension (1 unit) for about $200. You can complete the course on your own time, and it took me three days to complete (about 2 hours a day).

Members don't see this ad :)
Try community colleges. I took mine through Jamestown Community College (JCC) in NY. If you are out of state it will cost more, but a lot of community colleges takes it. The UC San Diego class is continuing education. I actually called them and they said the class was not for official credit. The programs I spoke to would not accept it. You are better off not risking it and taking the class through a community college. Unfortunately they all seem to be 3 credits.

I meant to add that mine was online. It will cost more out of state but...if you need it, it's better to pay more than not get it done.

Try community colleges. I took mine through Jamestown Community College (JCC) in NY. If you are out of state it will cost more, but a lot of community colleges takes it. The UC San Diego class is continuing education. I actually called them and they said the class was not for official credit. The programs I spoke to would not accept it. You are better off not risking it and taking the class through a community college. Unfortunately they all seem to be 3 credits.

Hey, the class isn't for "official credit" in the sense that it would transfer as undergraduate credit. They do send you an official UCSD Extension transcript and all four schools that I applied to that required it accepted it. It's an affordable and great option to take that course, so you should call the specific programs you're applying to if you're interested :).

How about an online orientation to OT course? At least of the colleges I am applying to recommends it along with observation hours.

I took Medical terminology online from UC San Diego Extension (1 unit) for about $200. You can complete the course on your own time, and it took me three days to complete (about 2 hours a day).

Hey, So most of the schools I am applying to said this course would be ok but I just got an email from one saying this: The school needs to be accredited by IBHE and you need to receive credit and a grade.

I emailed UC San Diego Extension but figured I'd ask on here too. Did you get a grade for the course?

I second this! It is a heck of a lot cheaper than the other options I found, plus it provides a transcript and letter grade upon completion. It is accredited, cheap, (fairly easy), and worth a credit.

Hey, So most of the schools I am applying to said this course would be ok but I just got an email from one saying this: The school needs to be accredited by IBHE and you need to receive credit and a grade.

I emailed UC San Diego Extension but figured I'd ask on here too. Did you get a grade for the course?
yes, yes, and yes

Yeah the admissions person I talked to said it needs to be approved by the state so I emailed the people at the IBHE and they were like each university sets its own guidelines so you have to talk to them... kind of confusing but looking good so far, just need a final response from the school.