Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

I need your knowlege

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by The Mysterious Stranger, Jul 17, 2002.

1. The Mysterious Stranger

The Mysterious Stranger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Which schools have automatic cut-offs for GPA and MCAT? I know, I know look it up on each school's website or in the MSAR. ;) It just seems tedious and some schools might not make such cut-offs that obvious. So if you know for sure or have heard something or other please post the schools and their cut-offs.

THANKS

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

Jefferson - GPA 3.5, MCAT: 27

4. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

So if one has, say, a 36 and a 3.4, Jefferson automatically rejectS? wow...

5. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

I know NYU has kind of an implicit cut off at 3.4 and 30.

6. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The only sort of cutoff i've actually seen in print is for utah. according to their website, GPA<2.5 & MCAT<7 in any subject = REJECTION. then they have number cutoffs where you either automaticall receive an interview (>=3.5 & >=30) or they review your app (all the rest).

http://www.med.utah.edu/som/admissions/process.html

i'm sure many schools operate in a similar fashion, they're just not up front about it.

7. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

NYU's website specifically says that you should have above a 3.4 and 10's or higher in all sections of the MCAT.... i don't know how strict that it, but the fact that they said it straight out makes me think that it's moderately important. i'm not applying there, but i thought that i would mention it and let someone else figure out the details.

8. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

I personally think that 90% of schools have some sort of a cut off... but they deny it. How else are they going to cut a list of thousands of students down to only a few hundred for interviews? I honestly don't think they have the time or the patience to give ~every~ applicant personal consideration. BUt that's just my guess....

9. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard something like this too for Jefferson. A friend of mine who's dad works there (this is just what he said, and he's not actually on the adcom) they have this formula they crank all the apps through, its (undergrad GPA*10+(MCAT))>some magic number for determing who they will consider for interviews, etc. So, you take a person with a 3.5 and a 27 (62), a person with a 3.4 and a 36 (70), etc. I'd imagine there would be bottom limits placed on it (a person with a 2.8 and a 36 probably shouldn't get the same love as a 3.5 and a 29). But thats all heresay