I need your opinion....retake or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d2lhp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am thinking if I should retake the DAT in October. Please help me out.
My scores are:

Bio: 19
G. Chem 21
O. Chem 25
PAT 16
Reading 14
Math 26

Overall GPA 4.0 Sci GPA 4.0

The reading and PAT are so low :( I didn't expected they would be that low....but there they are. Do you think the 3 schools in TX care much about these two sections? If I retake it in October, is it too late?

If anyone has any experience on this, please give me some advice.

Thanks.......

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbdown: high qr very low rc...
well I will say u should retake it...

there are some schools with cutlines....
at least 15 or something like that...

well... If I were you I would retake it...
to increase pat and rc...

Assume if u apply with that dat scores....u mught get rejected in the beginning....

ddsjymaeng said:
high qr very low rc...
well I will say u should retake it...

there are some schools with cutlines....
at least 15 or something like that...

well... If I were you I would retake it...
to increase pat and rc...

Assume if u apply with that dat scores....u mught get rejected in the beginning....

I think the smartest thing would be to contact the schools you are applying to and even see if you can make an appointment with a dental admissions officer to get their opinion.

DMD-2-B said:
I think the smartest thing would be to contact the schools you are applying to and even see if you can make an appointment with a dental admissions officer to get their opinion.

i second that opinion. speaking with admissions directors of the schools you'd like to apply to would be a better option before you decide if you would like to retake it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
d2lhp said:
Hi everyone,

I am thinking if I should retake the DAT in October. Please help me out.
My scores are:

Bio: 19
G. Chem 21
O. Chem 25
PAT 16
Reading 14
Math 26

Overall GPA 4.0 Sci GPA 4.0

The reading and PAT are so low :( I didn't expected they would be that low....but there they are. Do you think the 3 schools in TX care much about these two sections? If I retake it in October, is it too late?

If anyone has any experience on this, please give me some advice.

Thanks.......

whats ur AA and TS? u can call schools ask them what they think, but with a RC 14, more likely they will tell u to retake it.

I would apply with those scores but schedule a retake for October. If the schools don't care, they will contact you for an interview, and during the interview you can always say...yeah, I understand certain scores are lower and I realize I need to work harder in those areas and I'm going to retake it///but at least you get that interview or secondary to start. And if no one contacts you by the time you retake, then you can retake and send out the new scores to schools and see about getting interviews off the new scores.

is your english your second language?
can you tell us why you got low score in the reading section?

i don't think that you have to retake it because you aced the science sections, and they are more important than the other sections. some dental schools have cut offs. ONLY few, so you don't have to worry about it. you can just call and ask one who works in the dental schools that you are applying to and they will tell you what they think about it.

Thanks everyone for your opinion. My AA is 21, TS is 21.
Yes, English is my second language...but I made 17, 18 on RC on practice tests. On the real test, I got uncomfortable with the screen on RC at first (with the passages on the bottom part), it took time a bit to adapt, then I had trouble with timing.

I will contact each school to see what they think.
Thanks everyone again.

21/21/16 is still a good score, I wouldn't retake, plus you have a 4.0

Your pretty much set

all i wanted to tell u is do not make them kick u out in the 1st place
cuz of your rc.... and pa...

your aa ts is awesome...
gl :thumbup:

ddsjymaeng said:
all i wanted to tell u is do not make them kick u out in the 1st place
cuz of your rc.... and pa...

your aa ts is awesome...
gl :thumbup:

This is a silly comment. All your other stats are good. If a school is truly interested in you and everything else looks good they will ask you to retake the DAT. They usually wont flat out reject you.

lol not to be mean or anything but seeing that you have a 4.0 you must have gotten A's in all your history/ENGLISH/GE whatever classes... i'm sure you could have gotten way better on the RC and of course, schools will recognize that maybe something happened (screen was bad or what not), they'oll understand you have awesome other scores! i wouldnt retake it

i think it depends on where you apply because when i talked to the dean at UOP he emphasized PAT and actually reading comp. the RC really threw me off haha but UOP is known for high PAT scores so that didnt surpise me. yes i think the best bet is to talk to admissions people depending ont he sschool you want!