I need your opinion...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was planning to do these in summer:
1)take cell bio and microbio II in summer
2)volunteer at a hospital and a pharmacy
3)study for my MCAT so i can write it at the end of summer

then i thought of taking Kaplan courses in summer...i was looking at their schedules that i realized their schedules is overlapping with my 2 courses that I'll be taking....

after alot of thinking that i went through i gave myself 2 options to do:

1)take the 2 courses...dont take Kaplan classes...and study for MCAT whenever i have free time. this is a bad option in the sense that i won't be prepared enough for my MCAT when i'm writing it becasue i m busy doing my 2 courses and volunteering. it's good in the sense that i take 2 courses and won't be behind.

2)don't take my 2 courses. take Kaplan courses..and study fully for mCAT in summer and do alittle bit of volunteering if i have time. this will defintally benefit me since i will be so prepared for mcat and i have so much time to study for it. the bad thing is that the two courses that i wanted to take in summer are prerequisites for my major in the coming fall. if i dont take them , i dont get into my major and have to apply to it the next year.. which means i'll be behind one year and finish my bachelors in 5 years instead of 4 years(to let you know i ve finished my 2nd year)

i really have no idea what i should do...i really like to focus on MCAT and do well on it...also if i do the bachelors in 5 years i l have more time to spend on my courses and do a lot more volunteering....

but the bad thing about it is that losing one year is not a joke....i am fine with losing one year if i were sure that i will get into medicine after applying for the first time..but if i dont get in for the first time, it means losing another year (total of 2)

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?WHICH OPTION SHOULD I GO FOR?BE HONEST?THINK OF IT AS IT WERE YOU AND YOU HAD THESE 2 OPTIONS? WHAT WOULD YOU DO?BE HONEST

Members don't see this ad.

Time for a big heart-to-heart with yourself. What kind of person are you? Incredibly self-motivated, the type who will bust your butt all week and then spend your weekends studying for the MCAT after you've been in school and volunteering all week? Or the type who needs a swift kick in the rear and a schedule to follow, who, truth be told, doesn't really want to be a hermit for the summer? There's no shame in admitting that you fall in the second category; I think most people do. If you're one of them, take the MCAT course this summer and spend the fifth year. See if you can study abroad next spring; it will be a great experience that you'll never have another opportunity to take. Don't worry about the extra year. If you start med school at age 23 (or even 24) instead of 22, you'll still be very, very young. I was 31 when I started med school. :)