I/O Psych Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitlinelise10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I already posted this in WAMC, but no one was able to help because no one there knew anything about I/O programs.

I am currently in the process of applying to masters and PhD programs in I/O psych. I would prefer to go straight into a PhD program, but I am worried that my research experience isn't sufficient (I was initially going to apply to PsyD programs, making clinical experience was more important than research experience, so that's what I ended up focusing on). I also don't want to spend a fortune applying to every program out there though, so what do you guys think my chances are? Should I focus on masters programs, or do I have a chance of getting into some PhD programs if I write a great personal statement?

• Overall undergrad GPA: 3.29 (graduated a year early from high school, went to a big university very immature and under-prepared, was premed, had a medical withdrawal, etc.)
  • Junior/Senior GPA: 4.0 (transferred to a different school)
  • Psych GPA: 3.9
  • Extras: Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Dean's list every semester in my last 60 hrs, received an academic award for excellence.
  • GRE: ? (Taking it 11/5, expect to do well)
  • Research Experience: One independent study in my experimental design class: I formulated a survey using six different instruments, surveyed 117 undergraduate students, analyzed the data using SPSS, and wrote up the results in a twenty-two page paper. To my knowledge, no research has ever been conducted on the subject of my project before. I went way above and beyond the class requirements for this project.
  • Publications: None
  • Presentations: None
  • Clinical Experience: 1 year as a psychiatric assistant at a residential treatment center for children and adolescents, 1 year at a crisis hot-line
  • LORs: One will be from the professor of my experimental design class, so she can attest to my research skills. One will be from the head of the masters program at my school. Trying to decide if the last one should be from the psychiatrist I worked for, or just another professor.
Also, what are your thoughts on the personal statement? Is it a good idea to try to explain my deficiencies, or should I just stick to the positives?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say the GPA is fine if the GRE is high enough 1250+.
in I/O they tend to prefer high Quant. scores 700+
I would try to get a little more research experience; unfortunately being a psychiatric assistant won't pull as much weight in I/O as 1 year working as a research assistant in any area of psychology.

I would also try to take a few more statistics or methods courses if you have an opportunity.

I would not discuss deficiencies in your SOP as I don't think your GPA or any other aspect of your app. is low enough to warrant any attention. My GPA was only 3.45 and I definitely didn't discuss it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that's really helpful. So, do you think it would be better to take this year to try and get some more research experience and then apply next year? Or do you think it would be better to go into a masters program and complete a thesis and go into a doctoral program with that under my belt? Do you think I should even attempt to apply to a few doctoral programs this round, or would that just be a waste of money?

Here are the programs I am considering applying to (obviously I need to weed some out unless I want to pay a fortune in app fees):

Doctoral Programs:
A&M
Rice
University of Houston
Central Michigan
University of Central Florida
University of Oklahoma
North Carolina State
University of Missouri - St. Louis
Florida International
Wright State
Auburn
Saint Louis University

Masters Programs:
Lamar University
UT Arlington
A&M
University of Oklahoma
Wright State
Clemson
Indiana U-Purdue U Indianapolis
Central Michigan
Illinois State
Middle Tennessee State
University of Tulsa
Western Kentucky
University of North Carolina
Appalachian State

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that's really helpful. So, do you think it would be better to take this year to try and get some more research experience and then apply next year? Or do you think it would be better to go into a masters program and complete a thesis and go into a doctoral program with that under my belt? Do you think I should even attempt to apply to a few doctoral programs this round, or would that just be a waste of money?

Here are the programs I am considering applying to (obviously I need to weed some out unless I want to pay a fortune in app fees):

Doctoral Programs:
A&M
Rice
University of Houston
Central Michigan
University of Oklahoma
North Carolina State
University of Missouri - St. Louis
Florida International
Wright State
Auburn
Saint Louis University

Masters Programs:
Lamar University
UT Arlington
A&M
University of Oklahoma
Wright State
Clemson
Indiana U-Purdue U Indianapolis
Central Michigan
Illinois State
Middle Tennessee State
University of Tulsa
Western Kentucky
University of North Carolina
Appalachian State

I would only apply to a few MS programs (as complete backups). If your end goal is a PhD I would say you are better off taking a year off and getting research experience. Most PhD programs don't transfer much credit, so you will end up paying to go to school for 2 years and will only transfer 9-10 credits. It would be cheaper and quicker to take the year off. But I would still apply this year. With a good enough GRE you could still have a shot at most of those programs.