I/O pyschology programs... how to get research experience/is mine applicable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dirkwww

Post Bach
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into I/O psychology programs and my current school is not helping me at all (advisors are not giving much advice and the only thing they offer is one undergrad glass in I/O). I was wondering what kind of research expereince these programs look for. I am finding it just about imposible to find exact relevent I/O research. Does this mean i should try a marketing research lab? I have plenty of other research experience (3 years in a molecular genetics lab, soon to be 2 years in a child devlopment lab. and a half year in a social psychology lab). Would these past experiences be applicable?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking into I/O psychology programs and my current school is not helping me at all (advisors are not giving much advice and the only thing they offer is one undergrad glass in I/O). I was wondering what kind of research expereince these programs look for. I am finding it just about imposible to find exact relevent I/O research. Does this mean i should try a marketing research lab? I have plenty of other research experience (3 years in a molecular genetics lab, soon to be 2 years in a child devlopment lab. and a half year in a social psychology lab). Would these past experiences be applicable?

thanks

So it looks like you decided on your career path....

Yes, your research experience would be relevant and you could present each experience as applicable to your desired field as soon as you learn more about I/O psych.

You don't really need your undergrad university as a resource at this point if you already know what you want to do (especially if they do not have a graduate school). I would research graduate programs in I/O psych and ask to meet or speak with a graduate admissions counselor in university that houses your desired programs. Graduate admissions counselors should help point you in the right direction or provide you with contact information of an I/O professor who could also provide further info.

Your best bet may be to get some statistical experience on a research team, since you already have a lot of research experience. In one of my research positions, I volunteered to work more closely with biostatistician on the team and help him crunch numbers which gave me a clearer understanding of the methods behind the research.

If you could find a marketing research lab, it would be great but it really should be paid work at that level. Any marketing research should compensate you. I think you'll have trouble looking for a volunteer position because of all the marketing interns.

Solid career advice: Find someone who is doing what you want to do, and ask to spend a short time with that person to (15-30 minutes) to ask all the 'how-to-do' questions ad nauseam. After all, imitation is best form of flattery.

Good luck! :luck:

Solid career advice: Find someone who is doing what you want to do, and ask to spend a short time with that person to (15-30 minutes) to ask all the 'how-to-do' questions ad nauseam. After all, imitation is best form of flattery.

Good luck! :luck:

Really like the way you put it!!