I only check my email once a week for interview invites. Is this safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opheliamg

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Several weeks ago I decided to only check my email once a week as I can't stand the stress of checking it more frequently. However a friend mentioned this might be a bad idea if say I get an ii Monday and don't respond til Friday - perhaps there won't be any interview spots left or they will have rescinded the invite since I haven't responded. Is there a risk of this? I know checking once a week means I'll probably get a later interview date scheduled for those that do come in but only checking this little has been so great for my sanity I'd prefer to not have to check more frequently.

Members don't see this ad.

Several weeks ago I decided to only check my email once a week as I can't stand the stress of checking it more frequently. However a friend mentioned this might be a bad idea if say I get an ii Monday and don't respond til Friday - perhaps there won't be any interview spots left or they will have rescinded the invite since I haven't responded. Is there a risk of this? I know checking once a week means I'll probably get a later interview date scheduled for those that do come in but only checking this little has been so great for my sanity I'd prefer to not have to check more frequently.
I would check more frequently. One of my schools explicitly said they wanted an email back and a scheduled interview within one week of the email or they assume you are not interested. Also, I signed up for the interview the next day after the email and they only gave me one day option.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this email only dedicated to med school-related stuff? I set mine to send me notifications so instead of constantly checking it myself and not seeing anything, I get an alert if I get an email in that inbox.

Reactions: 2 users
What? So you don't have your email account on your phone so you can check it every waking moment of every day? :nailbiting:

I'd recommend once a day, maybe at the end of the business day.

Reactions: 1 users
You should have a created a separate gmail account with gmail app on your phone and alerts turned on.

• Love
Haha, I am sure you are the only pre-med who does that.

I would check way more often lol.

I got an II and checked the dates available in the morning. I got busy at work and forgot to select a date until night time when the only slot available was Friday the 13 at 8 am, so kind of kicking myself

I empathize with email stress. My solution was to check once a day at ~5 or 6 pm. It's safe to assume that emails will be sent during business hours. This way, you are still keeping a same-day response rate, but it's just a few minutes and then you can go eat dinner and forget about it. :)

Best of luck to you. :)

I empathize with email stress. My solution was to check once a day at ~5 or 6 pm. It's safe to assume that emails will be sent during business hours. This way, you are still keeping a same-day response rate, but it's just a few minutes and then you can go eat dinner and forget about it. :)

Best of luck to you. :)
Again, what's the need to check? You don't have a smartphone?

My goodness, that sounds absolutely terrifying. If I were you I would set up a separate Gmail account and either have all emails go directly to your phone or setup an algorithm that automatically sends emails with the word interview in them as a text message.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I mean... do you want to be a doctor? Because this sounds like you don't want to be a doctor. :unsure:

Reactions: 3 users
No once a week isn't frequent enough. What if you have multiple interview invitations and need to work out details? As a professional courtesy, I would try to respond to all emails within 48 hours. I would check your email account at least once a day. Why would you be opposed to checking it daily?

You could always just give it a quick scan once/day to see if any adcoms emailed you, and then reply to all your other emails once/week. But for future reference, your med school is going to expect you to check it daily too.