I PASSED THE NAPLEX.....a little advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rroyali

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I was excited to find out yesterday that I had passed my NAPLEX exam which had been taken on November the 13 (yes, Friday the 13th lol). I initially took the exam in July but failed by 7 points. I clearly was not ready for the exam!

My first piece of advice is to take the exam when YOU are ready to take it! I was studying with one of my best friends who is a brain lol. Some people don't have to work hard in school. I wasn't one of those people. I had to work hard in Therapeutics and by God's grace I graduated on time, was very actively involved in my pharmacy fraternity and community, and managed to keep my sanity lol. (I'm a little dramatic but there is truth in my words lol). It is hard not to compare yourself with classmates that take the exam right after graduation. Don't worry about those people because everyone has to take the exam for themselves.

It is amazing how much I learned and how much more confident I felt during the 2nd time around. The following is basically how I prepared for this exam:

1. I used the RxPrep book which I borrowed from a classmate. I basically went through the whole book and rewrote the important points from each chapter in a durable notebook that I bought from Walmart. I wrote each chapter in different colors of ink and bought a notebook that I could carry around with no problem.

2. I stopped working for several weeks, but was in "bootcamp" for about 2 weeks. I didn't go out partying with friends or really leave my apartment. I just studied!

3. I remember thinking that I got killed the first time on math. I actually had the ProntoPass math cards before I took the exam the first time but I didn't work out all of the problems. This time I not only went through all 250 cards but I also made a pile for the cards that I had a hard time figuring out the answer. I went back through this pile at a later time.

4. The first time around I didn't really read the antibiotic section and I barely read through the RxPrep book one time. This time I believe I read through the material about 3 times (1 time through the book to rewrite my notes and two times through my rewritten notes).

5. During the exam I was barely getting any math questions! I got a mEq question and got it right (Thanks RxPrep!! I prefer their equation than ProntoPass for solving mEq problems). Then of course near the end of my exam, the math appeared. I calculated that I had about 15 questions left and 20 something minutes left so I had to manage my time well! My advice for Math is to not give up and just put an answer down (unless you feel like you have to, i.e. you've been on the question for 10 minutes lol). There were several questions where I felt like I didn't know how in the hell I could get the answer so I worked backwards. I selected each of the answer choices and worked backwards. I acutally got the answer from doing it this way!

6. My questions were so broad. I got killed on digoxin and I had a lot of reference book questions and antibiotics! Please make sure you read the patient profiles thoroughly! If your patient is PCN allergic, you need to know that there are about 3 antibiotic classes that you can't use/should be cautious of using (Penicillins, Cephalosporins, Carbapenems)! The first time I took the exam I really didn't pay attention to the profile.

7. Two nights prior to the exam and on the night before the exam, I took some advice from a classmate. I decided to read back through my notes again. I would recite what I remembered from the chapter and then read carefully through the material to make sure what I remembered was accurate. I also went through my list of equations that I had written down. I also briefly looked at some sections which I barely studied (reference books and statistics).

8. The main thing during the exam is to remain calm!! One time I was freaking out a little on one of the math equations and I had to tell myself to "breathe and calm down" lol

9. I sometimes have problems with GERD and having one of the biggest tests in your life doesn't really aid in GI problems lol so while driving to the exam I had my tums in the car and I ate them like candy lol to help settle my stomach.

10. Temperature is another issue. I brought a jacket just in case the air was really cold inside the testing center. To my surprise it was just the opposite, I was burning up without my jacket but I tried not to focus on that!

11. At the testing center, I borrowed a calculator (which I had previously done) and sound-proof earphones/headphones (which I didn't do the previously time) What a difference this made! I couldn't hear anything except my thoughts!!!

Well Good luck!! I hope my ramblings will help someone

Members don't see this ad.

Damn I didn't realize how long this was lol...Well I forgot to post that I also used the APhA review book too. I answered the Math questions at the end of the Math section to assess my competency. I also read the Dermatological and Nonprescription Drugs sections!

Hey congratulations and thank you for the advise. I did too failed the first time by 5 points and as well as you mentioned now I believe I wasn't really ready, I did too did not think much of the profiles and some questions that were a given I just blew by not paying attention, they were a given...but well it belongs to the past now and I must look forward. I have a question to ask was this second exam somewhat the same as the first one? Or was it in your opinion more difficult?

Thank you

Hey I almost forgot that I also worked out the problems in the Appleton & Lange Review of Pharmacy 8th edition. It's funny because I actually won it at some APhA-ASP function (I think it was SLI or something). In particular, I answered questions mainly from the Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Calculations, and the Pharmaceutical Care sections.

To ONCO:
Hey thanks for your response! It's not a good feeling to fail the exam but for some reason I was at peace about it. I think that's that peace that passes all understanding (I thank God because I handled it a lot better than the old me would have done lol). Yes, one of my best friends told me "if you didn't really use the profiles to answer the question then you've messed up lol"..I'm glad you have a positive outlook because there are a lot worse things that could happen in life. Just think about our fellow classmates that failed out of pharmacy school and have all of these loans. One of my other classmates failed the exam also and we kept in touch and encouraged each other. To answer your question, the exam the second time around was totally different. There may have been a few repeat questions, but my exam was all over the place. The first time I thought it focused more on mental health, antibiotics, and OTC. I can't really say I thought it was easier or more difficult. I was just more prepared! I knew a lot of the questions, but with 185 questions it's hard to remember how many times you said "I know that, I know that" lol... The main thing is to make sure you focus on your weak areas. For me, it was mental health, pharmacy math, and antibiotics. You also just need to improve with your test taking skills. I think I calculated 46 questions per hour so I could stay on track. I also read the profiles and in particular ALWAYS look at the ALLERGIES! I also write down the letters A,B,C, & D on my pad and would physically cross out the answer once I had eliminated it from being the answer. As I mentioned before if there is a math problem Don't give up and just randomly select an answer. If you can't come up with Work backwards! Somehow it worked out for me. Stay calm! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask! I hope this helps! I swear I am so long-winded LOL....

Members don't see this ad :)
Rroyali,
Thank you for your kind response, I believe that now that I know the beast I can handle it better. It is reassuring to know that there is always a second chance. Even when I have lined-up the MPJE I will not take it until I passed Naplex, I know I have 3 months to master my weak areas. (Antibiotics and some side effects from Lithium and the like.) And that is why I was asking you that question, just making sure that the format is more or less the same with questions totally different from the first one. math was not a problem for me however I do not want to be over-confident and will practice a bit more. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.

I also failed. I was depressed for weeks because I felt like such a failure. I had a bad testing experience and I kept on beating myself up with the "what if's". I am just starting to get back into the groove of studying and it's soooo hard.
Thank you very much for such a detailed post and wonderful advice. Congratulations on passing!! I know I'm not alone in this and it can happen to ANYONE. It doesn't matter if you were the brightest student in your class, it can happen.
I know what my mistakes were and with the help of God I will overcome.

Just took Naplex, and I am positive I failed. Studied for a couple of months on and off. The Last month or so I studied I would say hardcore. The apha through once (skipped OTC) and emphasized on infectious disease, htn, heart dz, cancer, mental health, siezures, used the prontopass posters and notes. Did the math calculations for both APHA and prontopass. The night before the test I had an incredibly difficult time sleeping....and I think this is what did me in. Never have been a good test taker, and felt real uneasy during the test. Way to many calculations, and too may of them I just couldnt figure out...Now I cant stop thinking about the test, having a hard time sleeping. :/

can you all pls tell me what states you took the exams in, i am going to take in new york, i think california is hard

Naplex2010,

Mine was for Texas. Do not worry, I think the hardest part of the failing process is admitting that you may have not been fully prepared. My advise don't dwell on it and move forward what's done is done. Good luck and if you apply yourselves you can pass this one , now you know the beast!

BioMover,

I'm glad that you were able to get through that difficult time. I know how it feels...You start doing the numbers and saying I'm like the only one that failed, etc. I'm glad that you're able to get back to studying. I would say work on your weak areas/or the areas that you feel you didn't focus on last time first. I must say now that I am working as a pharmacist I feel a lot more confident and more prepared than I did 4 months ago. It is hard to get and stay motivated but just think this preparation will help prepare you to become a better pharmacist! I believe that everything happens for a reason. Yes, the reason I failed was because I wasn't prepared but it also helped me re-learn and retain the material better the 2nd time around! Stay encouraged and you can do it!!!! I would also encourage you to rewrite the important points of each section that you review. I don't have ADHD but sometimes I have ADHD moments lol....so it really helped in my preparation to just read what I've rewritten. It also helps me now at work!

pereubu,
Keep us updated on your results!! If you can't sleep, take some Benadryl! lol.. it's funny because I usually don't take medicine for anything really, but during my 2 week "bootcamp" I had to take some Benadryl a couple of nights to help me sleep.

naplex2010,
My primary is TN but I score transferred my results to a few states.

Oncopharm2009,

That's awesome! Yes, with this exam if you think of an area that you aren't comfortable with than you should review it because more than likely you'll get asked about it. Yes, my exam was so random. I was getting different questions from all different sections. That's why I'm glad I did that final review through all of my rewritten notes. Good call on the math because you know it's going to be on there! lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Got results today, and ... I passed :D
Felt absolutely crushed for a whole week. Finally came to terms with the idea of having to take the Naplex again, but to my relief there will be no need. WOW ...

Perebu,

CONGRATS!!!! Yes, I know you are relieved! Have you found a job yet?

Thanks rroyali !
Yeah, I was already interning at CVS, but I still need to take MPJE for Illinois and Wisconsin to become licensed.
How about you?

Last edited:
Congrats!! It is good to know that you passed. It is comforting knowing that all it takes is really paying attention to small details. Now the MPJE o CPJE, I think. You are almost there then!

Keep us posted

Hey pereubu,

I already passed my MPJE for TN in July so I've been working as a licensed pharmacist for 3 weeks and I'm loving it even though it's exhausting sometimes lol...I score transferred to a few states so now on my off days I plan on preparing my applications for the other states. I sent my scores to CA and I've already heard the stories of how long it takes to get the ATT for the CPJE lol....

Los blancos,

75 is the minimum passing score. 85 will put you on the other side, so good luck and stay calm, read the question and pay attention to the patient profiles.

Here is my question: I've learned through review courses and friends that have attempted the exam that calculations is worth 30% of the exam. Also, that out of 180 questions only 20-30 of them were calculations but they just seemed to be weighted a bit more. Make's sense since you actually spend more time for calculations than pharmacotherapy q's. Does that sound right?

practice calculations & make sure you can do it quickly. You should do fine.h

Thanks rroyali..you had some good pointers in this thread. I would advice everyone to focus on calculations and big picture items for pharmacotherapy. This should get you on the good side of the score.

How was case studies on test? I heard there's a lot & it's hard? I shall follow your advise on calculating backwards. Don't know how I did engineering calculus @ college freshman & now can't master mEq.
Although pass in 1995, now still scared of passing naplex again for CA

Honestly studied hard core for 2 weeks. I spent 2 hours everyday on calculations and on the last day I reviewed over big picture items from my class notes 3 times. I also made sure to practice problems for about 6 hours the last 3 days. I answered most of the questions in the APHA book (although for rare disease states, I was getting ~60 % of them wrong). But after reading the explanation of the answers I got wrong I was able to grasp some concepts that I may not have in school/while studying. I did calculations from the Kaplan and APHA book. I did not attend any review course.