I put gynecology as a possible specialty...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gary5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On one of my secondaries, I listed gynecology as one of my specialties of interest. I thought it might be risky considering I'm male. They assigned a female gynecologist as one of my interviewers. I was accepted. Life is funny - you never know how it'll turn out...

(This was two years ago.)

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!

gary5 said:
On one of my secondaries, I listed gynecology as one of my specialties of interest. I thought it might be risky considering I'm male. They assigned a female gynecologist as one of my interviewers. I was accepted. Life is funny - you never know how it'll turn out...

thats awesome. note to self, adcoms like people that are intersted in vaginas. giggle giggle

Members don't see this ad :)
gary5 said:

(This was two years ago.)
Did you ask her out on a date like our friend Howard?

Virgil said:
Did you ask her out on a date like our friend Howard?

LOL - No, I forgot to! Maybe I can track her down!

gary5 said:
LOL - No, I forgot to! Maybe I can track her down!
You know what, maybe you should send her a shirtless pic representing your "glee and charm." Yeah, that'll work out good...that'll work out real good.

Virgil said:
hahahahhaha, that pic is priceless.
I want to make it my avatar. lol :laugh:
Hello ladies!! ;)

jbone said:
I want to make it my avatar. lol :laugh:
Hello ladies!! ;)

I really wouldn't.. :p Funny as it may be, many posters may mistake that for your actual self, and you stand the risk of never getting a date again!

Btw, ER medicine and OB/GYN are my top two choices for specialties right now, but I didn't tell adcoms about OB/GYN because I didn't feel like dealing with the hassel of defending my maleness. Thus, props to the OP for his guts of admitting his passion for vaginas! :D

Messerschmitts said:
I really wouldn't.. :p Funny as it may be, many posters may mistake that for your actual self, and you stand the risk of never getting a date again!
:D
True. But it's the funniest pic I've seen in a long time. :laugh:

My guess is that if anything, putting OB/GYN as an interest will help guys on applications. With only 10% or so of residency applicants being male, it's one of few instances where we might have a leg up because of our sex. It's true that the whole world seems to giggle when young guys say that want to go into gynecology, but it's actually a really cool field and octors and medical students really really vunderstand that it's just another specialty. You get to do primary care and complicated surgery. That's really appealing. I promise that you won't have to defend your "maleness" in an interview if you put OB/GYN as an interest.

I went to an OB/GYN interst meeting and the cheif was practically begging the three of us males who were in the room to go into the specialty. It's was great... how often do you get that?

-dope-

dopaminophile said:
My guess is that if anything, putting OB/GYN as an interest will help guys on applications. With only 10% or so of residency applicants being male, it's one of few instances where we might have a leg up because of our sex. It's true that the whole world seems to giggle when young guys say that want to go into gynecology, but it's actually a really cool field and octors and medical students really really vunderstand that it's just another specialty. You get to do primary care and complicated surgery. That's really appealing. I promise that you won't have to defend your "maleness" in an interview if you put OB/GYN as an interest.

I went to an OB/GYN interst meeting and the cheif was practically begging the three of us males who were in the room to go into the specialty. It's was great... how often do you get that?

-dope-

Interesting. I had one female OB/GYN tell me that the only men who go into OB/GYN are gay or perverts. She was joking, but I sensed a shadow of belief in what she was saying. It was disconcerting concerting to have my motives as a male interested in OB/GYN thus characterized as something sexual. Since that time, I've pretty much dismissed the specialty.

Like you, I think OB/GYN is a very interesting field. To me, it seems like a very nice mix of medicine and surgury, probably the best of any specialty I can think of without spending a lifetime in residency. Plus you get to help women deliver their babies. How cool is that! My wife does OB/GYN and she loves it. Sometimes I think more that me! :oops:

I'm also concerned about female patients acceptance of me as their physician. I mean would you want some guy poking around what is a very person space if you could have a woman do it instead? If I had to go to a urologist for something, I think my modesty would be more comfortable with a male doctor. Any thoughts? I'm NOT trolling here. I'm genuinely interested. Hopefully this is close enough to the original poster's topic that I'm not hijacking.

Members don't see this ad :)
robh said:
Interesting. I had one female OB/GYN tell me that the only men who go into OB/GYN are gay or perverts. She was joking, but I sensed a shadow of belief in what she was saying. It was disconcerting concerting to have my motives as a male interested in OB/GYN thus characterized as something sexual. Since that time, I've pretty much dismissed the specialty.

Like you, I think OB/GYN is a very interesting field. To me, it seems like a very nice mix of medicine and surgury, probably the best of any specialty I can think of without spending a lifetime in residency. Plus you get to help women deliver their babies. How cool is that! My wife does OB/GYN and she loves it. Sometimes I think more that me! :oops:

I'm also concerned about female patients acceptance of me as their physician. I mean would you want some guy poking around what is a very person space if you could have a woman do it instead? If I had to go to a urologist for something, I think my modesty would be more comfortable with a male doctor. Any thoughts? I'm NOT trolling here. I'm genuinely interested. Hopefully this is close enough to the original poster's topic that I'm not hijacking.

If I am not mistaken 30 years back most of the OB/GYN positions were held by men, so is this stigma something that has arisen recently?

stupibname said:
If I am not mistaken 30 years back most of the OB/GYN positions were held by men, so is this stigma something that has arisen recently?
Yeah, pretty much. I'm not entirely sure why. That was awfully unprofessional to say that only gays or perverts go into OB/GYN - because it's definitely not a sexual specialty or anything (but most of the world is under the impression that it is).

FWIW, I'll be interested when I get to do my OB/GYN rotation. I love babies, and it is an interesting blend of office/OR, but I'm not thrilled at the prospect of lots of on-call or huge malpractice payments.

Random trivia. The same OB that delivered my mom and all of her siblings also delivered my older brother and I. Crazy.

robh said:
If I had to go to a urologist for something, I think my modesty would be more comfortable with a male doctor.

I wouldn't mind having a female urologist examine me, I might even prefer it, because for some reason I find it easier to discuss my medical problems with women. Likewise, I've read testimony from many women who either don't mind, or even prefer a male OB/GYN. However, it's true that probably the majority (my own mother included) prefer a female OB/GYN. It sounds like us guys will have a slight edge when applying to OB/GYN residency due to our scarcity, but it will be "against the flow" and a bit of an uphill battle when it comes time to securing employment and starting up our practises.

For a detailed discussion on the debate, you may be interested in looking at http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle.asp?page=/english/pubs/roberta/rr_4-19-97

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of OB/GYNs choose to mainly practice only the gynecology aspect, so they aren't on call as much, and probably don't have as high of a malpractice premium. It does seem like a nice balance between office and surgery, however. I'm very interested in primary care, and am leaning towards family medicine, but I also have thought about OB/GYN as well.

Yay for guys going into OB/GYN! We need more males in this specialty. :p

30 years back the vast majority of all doctors were men.

I know a lot of women who prefer to have male OB/GYNs. Personally I don't care either way, I've had good experiences with both a male and a female doctor. I think if you actually did a random poll of the population in the US you'd be surprised by the number of women who either prefer men or don't have a preference. There was actually an essay in the New York Times a while back in which a woman mentioned this. I don't remember what it was called though.

tigress said:
I know a lot of women who prefer to have male OB/GYNs. Personally I don't care either way, I've had good experiences with both a male and a female doctor. I think if you actually did a random poll of the population in the US you'd be surprised by the number of women who either prefer men or don't have a preference. There was actually an essay in the New York Times a while back in which a woman mentioned this. I don't remember what it was called though.
I think this is true. I would rather have a female doc do my physical. To each his/her own but I don't want another man playin with my bits and pieces. :laugh:

tigress said:
There's all kinds of different things going on here - some women prefer a male OB/GYN because since he doesn't know what she is going through (i.e., pain of childbirth), so he'll be more sympathetic, whereas a female OB/GYN might just say to suck it up, it's not that bad. :p On the other hand, some women feel that only another woman will be understanding of her needs.

TheProwler said:
There's all kinds of different things going on here - some women prefer a male OB/GYN because since he doesn't know what she is going through (i.e., pain of childbirth), so he'll be more sympathetic, whereas a female OB/GYN might just say to suck it up, it's not that bad. :p On the other hand, some women feel that only another woman will be understanding of her needs.

As a female who has experiences with both male and female doctors, I'd have to agree. Tell a male physician he has cold hands and you'd get an immediate apology, a female and she rolls her eyes at you. :eek:

Now this isn't all doctors, just the ones I've experienced. Not looking to start a flame war guys.

hannahq said:
As a female who has experiences with both male and female doctors, I'd have to agree. Tell a male physician he has cold hands and you'd get an immediate apology, a female and she rolls her eyes at you. :eek:

Now this isn't all doctors, just the ones I've experienced. Not looking to start a flame war guys.

No, this is exactly what that essay in the New York Times mentioned. Apparently a lot of women feel this way. I personally haven't had that experience, but I've been lucky with choosing doctors.

Men have an advantage when saying that they are interested in ob/gyn, because the field is mostly women now. In surgery, women have an advantage because they are in the minority. You will even see this during your rotations - on the ob/gyn rotation it is often better to be male and on surgery it's often better to be female (obviously not true in all cases, but in many).

Oh, and I have to add that what you think you might like may be completely different than what you imagine. After ob/gyn, I will never think of female genitalia in the same way :( If you think you will be doing pelvic exams on tons of healthy 20-year-olds there for their annual check-up, think again!

Io, Saturnalia! (Christmas didn't start out as a Christian holiday; it was originally Saturnalia.)

Here is a cute parody of Chick tracts which details Saturnalia. It's not as good as the "Christmas Critter" episode of South Park, but then again nothing can match up to those 22 minutes.

To the OP, at least you didn't put pediatric gynecology in your secondary

Messerschmitts said:
I wouldn't mind having a female urologist examine me, I might even prefer it, because for some reason I find it easier to discuss my medical problems with women. Likewise, I've read testimony from many women who either don't mind, or even prefer a male OB/GYN. However, it's true that probably the majority (my own mother included) prefer a female OB/GYN. It sounds like us guys will have a slight edge when applying to OB/GYN residency due to our scarcity, but it will be "against the flow" and a bit of an uphill battle when it comes time to securing employment and starting up our practises.

For a detailed discussion on the debate, you may be interested in looking at http://www.obgyn.net/displayarticle.asp?page=/english/pubs/roberta/rr_4-19-97

Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. I haven't had a chance to read everything yet b/c my Aunt died on Christmas eve. :(

In my wife's OB/GYN practice there are 8 physicians, two of whom are male. My wife is relatively new there and she has had quite a number of patients switch their care to her from the male physicians, because they feel more comfortable with her. This is making her uncomfortable, for obvious reasons, but she can't really say no to the patients.

I fully support a patient who has a gender preference in physicians. I think medical professionals tend to get immune to what are pretty embarrassing procedures for patients. The last thing I want to do is add to a patient's discomfort! If it was true that every woman wants a female OB/GYN, then I'd happily do something else. I just don't want to dismiss what seems like a pretty great specialty. Mostly I think helping new life come into the world is one of the coolest things a person could do.

An interesting thread, thanks for all your thoughts!

robh said:
Thanks for the link. It looks very interesting. I haven't had a chance to read everything yet b/c my Aunt died on Christmas eve. :(

In my wife's OB/GYN practice there are 8 physicians, two of whom are male. My wife is relatively new there and she has had quite a number of patients switch their care to her from the male physicians, because they feel more comfortable with her. This is making her uncomfortable, for obvious reasons, but she can't really say no to the patients.

I fully support a patient who has a gender preference in physicians. I think medical professionals tend to get immune to what are pretty embarrassing procedures for patients. The last thing I want to do is add to a patient's discomfort! If it was true that every woman wants a female OB/GYN, then I'd happily do something else. I just don't want to dismiss what seems like a pretty great specialty. Mostly I think helping new life come into the world is one of the coolest things a person could do.

An interesting thread, thanks for all your thoughts!

Oh my god! :eek: I'm so sorry to hear that! :( You have my sympathies and condolensces. What a way to spend a Christmas. May she rest in peace, I'm sure she's in a better place now.

On the subject of OB/GYN, that's one of my concerns as well; if most women prefer a female (and common sense dictates that they do), am I just being selfish by wanting to go into OB/GYN? I mean, one of things lots of male OB/GYN residents say is "well sure she'd prefer a female doc, but if none are available, she's gonna get me!" But if they really all prefered female docs, would it be better for them if all OB/GYN were women, and thus they'd always be able to get the preferred gender? I mean, in the aforementioned scenario, you (as the male OB) are kinda just taking advantage of her lack of choice at the current situation. ("Bwa ha ha, you got no choice, lady!")

Of course the argument has been that a majority of women don't care, and a few even prefer male OB/GYNs. However, it depends on which survey you look at.

Messerschmitts said:
On the subject of OB/GYN, that's one of my concerns as well; if most women prefer a female (and common sense dictates that they do), am I just being selfish by wanting to go into OB/GYN? I mean, one of things lots of male OB/GYN residents say is "well sure she'd prefer a female doc, but if none are available, she's gonna get me!" But if they really all prefered female docs, would it be better for them if all OB/GYN were women, and thus they'd always be able to get the preferred gender? I mean, in the aforementioned scenario, you (as the male OB) are kinda just taking advantage of her lack of choice at the current situation. ("Bwa ha ha, you got no choice, lady!")
from what I've heard, there are actual OB/GYN residency slots going unfilled, so it would not be the case that you are actually taking anyone's place, really.