i quit.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holycow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been studying for the mcat for the last three months. I have taken my mcat twice before three/four years ago..got a 17 and a 21. But i didn't prepare for them as well as I should have. SO i decided to give it one last try. I have been working hard, putting in 7-10 hour days most days. My practice tests have been in the range of 25-29. I just took AAMC 8, and got a 19. My exam in on friday the 30th. I think it's about time i realize that I might not be cut out for this, and change paths. Just frustrating because I have been working hard, and don't really know what else I would like to go into. Sorry guys, just had to rant!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been studying for the mcat for the last three months. I have taken my mcat twice before three/four years ago..got a 17 and a 21. But i didn't prepare for them as well as I should have. SO i decided to give it one last try. I have been working hard, putting in 7-10 hour days most days. My practice tests have been in the range of 25-29. I just took AAMC 8, and got a 19. My exam in on friday the 30th. I think it's about time i realize that I might not be cut out for this, and change paths. Just frustrating because I have been working hard, and don't really know what else I would like to go into. Sorry guys, just had to rant!
What other practice tests did you take? Are you sure that the drop isn't because of burnout? I can't think of any other reason for your practice test scores to drop by so much. Maybe you should take a day off.

Well if your exam is on the 30th....I think that you should just take the next few days off and rest and relax so that you will have time to regroup and take the exam on Friday the 30th. I wouldn't give up especially so close to your exam date.

I would go over AAMC Exam #8 meticiously either today or give yourself a break for the rest of the day and go over it tomorrow. Look over what types of questions you answered incorrectly and why. Go out to a movie or dinner and relax for the next few days.

I say just take the exam...before you consider quitting. If your practice exams were in the 25-29 range than chances are that's where your actual score will range if you took them under realistic time conditions and that was your first time taking those exams.

RELAX! RELAX! RELAX! Get some rest! Go ahead and take the exam on Friday....trying your best!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
as hard as it is to become a doctor, there are MANY ways to become one.

one exam should not deter you from making your dream -- break that 21, and with a good GPA and ECs you can go DO and have the same career. You can also go caribbean, work hard, and land a good residency here in the states. break a 30, and you can get into an MD school.

good luck.

Sounds like burnout city bro.

Just don't look at or think about MCAT the next 3 days.

I was doing really well on my practice tests, feeling really excited, and then took one about a week before---after a few weeks of 12 hour days---and bombed it.

The actual test turned out much better.

Your mind just needs to rest and relax.

I myself have been problem breaking 65% on Kaplan VR. My typical VR is 50%, but I feel that my reading has been improving. I hope that some day during the next 5 weeks, I will beat that VR test.

Forget it as a one off. AAMC 8 was tougher.

Never give up. Never give in. Fight.

putting in 7-10 hour days most days
As others have said, this is pure and unadulterated burnout. 10 hours of MCAT studying per day? This gives you 50 - 70 hours per week of studying. I think you need to cut back your studying. Try to study 3-4 hours a day max, and if you do this over the course of 3 months, it will bring you to what I call "terminal preparedness" (additional studying will not raise your score any higher).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the words of encouragement guys...I did all the EK material and I was getting 9-11s in verbal and the last two tests, (8 and 10) i have been getting 7s. I was doing EK verbal, and somethign just clicked, and I was getting things right..and now i feel like i have lost "the click". But yes, I am going to take your advice, review the test today and tomorrow, and maybe listen to Audio osmosis the rest of the next two days.

I took AAMC 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 8
aamc 3 (before studying) 20
aamc 7 25
aamc 6 29
aamc 9 26
aamc 10 24
aamc 8 19

Those have been my scores.

What other practice tests did you take? Are you sure that the drop isn't because of burnout? I can't think of any other reason for your practice test scores to drop by so much. Maybe you should take a day off.

thanks for the words of encouragement guys...I did all the EK material and I was getting 9-11s in verbal and the last two tests, (8 and 10) i have been getting 7s. I was doing EK verbal, and somethign just clicked, and I was getting things right..and now i feel like i have lost "the click". But yes, I am going to take your advice, review the test today and tomorrow, and maybe listen to Audio osmosis the rest of the next two days.

I know it's hard, but I'd seriously try to take 1.5 or even 2 days completely off.

Your mind needs rest. Take a few days to relieve some stress Go get a 6 pack and blow some $h!t up on xbox, go for a jog, call up that ex girlfriend that keeps wanting to hang out.

hahah.. thanks :) Do i have somewhere that i am a guy? i will take your advice and go for a jog, and i might even do some crazy stuff on the wii..but I haven't dated any girls..so no luck there. oh, and i'm married, so i'm sure my husband woulnd't like it if i called up some guys :)

I know it's hard, but I'd seriously try to take 1.5 or even 2 days completely off.

Your mind needs rest. Take a few days to relieve some stress Go get a 6 pack and blow some $h!t up on xbox, go for a jog, call up that ex girlfriend that keeps wanting to hang out.

hahah.. thanks :) Do i have somewhere that i am a guy? i will take your advice and go for a jog, and i might even do some crazy stuff on the wii..but I haven't dated any girls..so no luck there. oh, and i'm married, so i'm sure my husband woulnd't like it if i called up some guys :)

:laugh:

My mistake.

Don't give up...

The race is not given to the swift but to those who endure. I know it is hard studying for the MCAT and can be frustrating when you don't see the fruit of your labor. But just keep up your head and continue to push. You are ALMOST there, don't let go. Best wishes!

Chances of becoming a doctor if you quit: 0%
Chances of becoming a doctor if you don't quit: Something other than 0%

This made my day. Thank you.

So I've been avoiding SDN because it will psych me out before taking the MCAT on Thursday but I saw this and wanted to echo what others are saying, particularly regarding your chances if you don't apply vs. your chances if you do. Also, I want to add a personal anecdote about AAMC 8: It was by FAR my worst. My score dropped 7 points from AAMC 7 to AAMC 8 (I took them two days in a row, so some could have been burnout), and my AAMC 8 score was about 6 points below my average for the others. I have heard similar things about 8 from others, and it looks like your other scores do reflect improvement. I know it's frustrating....I about punched a hole in my wall when I finished AAMC 8...but you have to look at the integral of your efforts and performances, not one infinitesimal slice.

thanks everyone. I realized that I was looking way too far ahead. Small steps...1. breathe. 2. take the exam and don't worry about the results (until it comes) and 3. breathe again. Thanks for reminding me. I am just going to take it and see how i do.

Quitting is easy. Sticking it out and striving for more, then actually achieving it gives your life meaning and feels good. This is probably one of the most difficult experiences you have faced up until this point of your life. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel, but to get to it you have to keep going.

thank you:) though i have to say, this is by far not one of the most difficult experiences in my life..but i see your point. I figure if i can survive a stroke, i shouldn't sweat the small stuff, and in the grand scheme of things, i know this SHOULD be "small stuff", it just doesnt' feel that way right now...you know after trying three times!

Quitting is easy. Sticking it out and striving for more, then actually achieving it gives your life meaning and feels good. This is probably one of the most difficult experiences you have faced up until this point of your life. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel, but to get to it you have to keep going.

I wouldn't let one practice test determine the fate of your future career. If you were averaging higher scores, then that last test was clearly a fluke. At least take the test and wait to get your scores first.

valid point.. don't sweat the one low score=] just be confident

Quit is the easiest thing you can do. Trust me, the MCAT has not been an en easy experience for me either, but if you truly want to be a doctor, you will keep pushing and trying your best. Go ahead and take it and see how you do, you can always retake it if anything. But don't give up your goal because of this horrible test.

thanks everyone for your motivation. I took it, and got a 19. so that's a 17, 21 and a 19. Guess no med school for me now. Good luck to you all.

why would you even take it if a 19 is possible? dug your own grave man, i'm sorry

thanks everyone for your motivation. I took it, and got a 19. so that's a 17, 21 and a 19. Guess no med school for me now. Good luck to you all.

No med school yet, that's for sure. But the MCAT is just as much about test-taking skills as it is about actually knowing the material.

Just for kicks, what sort of scores were you making in your pre-reqs? If you were making at least B's, and were at a college that actually has an accreditation, then your excuse for getting below a 26ish doesn't lie in your lack of science knowledge.

The first thing I would tell you is to try to take a reading comprehension class. Seriously. The MCAT requires very, very fast reading and thinking. The faster you can read, and the more information you can get from the passage in a single read-thru, the better you're going to do on the MCAT. It will help you in ALL sections.

Also, I didn't read through the whole thread, but how are your study habits? Are you using some sort of guided study? It took me a little while to figure out how much I DIDN'T have to memorize for the exam, allowing me to focus on the relatively simple foundational information and how to apply it on the MCAT. If you haven't already, I would seriously consider looking into ExamKrackers, or at least finding a tutor who knows a thing or two about the MCAT.

I say all this not knowing how good of a student you actually are, and just assuming that you made good scores by your decision to take the MCAT in the first place. It's no fun to be barred from being a doctor just because you're having difficulty with the MCAT when you know the material.

why would you even take it if a 19 is possible? dug your own grave man, i'm sorry

the OP took the test because he was averaging higher scores and only had that anomaly at the end.

If you're averaging higher scores then you would think that you would score near your average +/- a few.

Going into the test with a 19, might've affected his mental game.

Big part of the MCAT is if you're ready attitude wise as well as knowledge and critical thinking skills.

Big part of the MCAT is if you're ready attitude wise as well as knowledge and critical thinking skills.

The EK guys put it well: "Read arrogantly."

Found it to be a big help when getting overwhelmed on the MCAT. If you start reading like you're grading a paper, the questions become a lot less intimidating.