I really do apologize, but I need some informed opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stewie87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you're all sick of this crap because people do it everyday, but I just need some advice on picking schools. I've read MSAR, the Princeton Review book, talked to my advisor and friends, but I really need some objective input.

NY resident
MCAT - 37N (PS-13, VR-11, BS-13)
GPA - 3.63
BCPM GPA - 3.73
normal ECs - research, volunteering, NCAA sports, IM sports

Here are my schools:

SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
NYMC
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Cornell
Columbia
Tufts
UConn
Dartmouth
Rochester
UPenn
George Washington
Georgetown
Duke
Washington U. St. Louis
U.Chicago
Stanford
Harvard
Yale
Hopkins

i know i have some pipe dreams on here

basically what i'm asking is, should i add some more "safer" schools? i know my MCAT is solid, but my GPA isnt a 3.9 and i feel like that's what so many of these schools require (at least according to mdapplicants.com)

sorry that this is so annoying and repetitive. if it bothers you, just ignore me.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

look man. you are worried that your gpa isnt a 3.9?
dude a 3.5 is fine and nothing to be worried about.
you have a 3.8+ and a hella high mcat.
if the rest of your application is solid, i dont see a reason why any of those schools wouldnt give you a shot.

im not here to be mean or anything...but if you come off this paranoid during interviews...thats the only thing thats gonna hurt you man. numberswise at least you are an excellent applicant competitive for any school in the country.

so you can just chill aiite? :)

Since this is your first post, I'm going to assume you're not a troll and pretend that you are genuinely anal about these things:

Add some safe schools only if it is at a place where you wouldn't mind attending. You also might want to knock off some of the ones that you've listed above; don't just apply somewhere because its prestigious; make sure that you actually like the school, the location, the weather, that the cost of living won't be a burden, and that the cost is decent. Are you interested soley in research schools or clinical? Do you think you'd benefit from PBL or traditional style lecture? How many students are in the class, and how soon are you exposed to patients? Let these things guide your school selection.

Your GPA is fine. MDApplicants is full of liars, so take that with a grain of salt. Definitely base your "potential" on the school's averages, not some random website.

Members don't see this ad :)
No GPA or MCAT score will automatically gain you acceptence to any school. ALWAYS apply to some "safety" schools.

don't go by MDapplicants.com. there is something wacked about that site. the averages numbers for the schools are much higher than published in MSAR.

i don't know anyone i went to school with that had a 3.9, and i knew some damn smart people. if schools are going to reject people solely on GPA, they're just as crazy as mdapplicants.

Stewie87 said:
I know you're all sick of this crap because people do it everyday, but I just need some advice on picking schools. I've read MSAR, the Princeton Review book, talked to my advisor and friends, but I really need some objective input.

NY resident
MCAT - 37N (PS-13, VR-11, BS-13)
GPA - 3.63
BCPM GPA - 3.73
normal ECs - research, volunteering, NCAA sports, IM sports

Why would the averages not be objective input? That's the most objective way to judge. I'd bet you're above the average MCAT at every school you applied to and you have a fine GPA. Don't worry so much.

Rugger81 said:
don't go by MDapplicants.com. there is something wacked about that site. the averages numbers for the schools are much higher than published in MSAR.

i don't know anyone i went to school with that had a 3.9, and i knew some damn smart people. if schools are going to reject people solely on GPA, they're just as crazy as mdapplicants.
oh they exist. believe me. ive met them and know some of them. and mdapplicants is a site where we can volunteer our numbers. someone with crap numbers isnt as likely to post them as someone with good ones. but thats unfortunate because if everyone contributed it would be a lot more helpful. thats at least why i joined. and you also gotta remember the sample size is so small....
i think less than 2000 people so far. its relatively new.

jlee9531 said:
mdapplicants is a site where we can volunteer our numbers. someone with crap numbers isnt as likely to post them as someone with good ones. but thats unfortunate because if everyone contributed it would be a lot more helpful. thats at least why i joined. and you also gotta remember the sample size is so small....
i think less than 2000 people so far. its relatively new.

that's very true, i have to keep reminding myself that it's not representative of the whole population of applicants. and i know it's not the fault of the people who run the website either...they can only work with what theyre given.

it's a terrific idea for a site, but just doesn't have enough people contributing.

It probably isn't a bad idea to add some "safety schools" to the list, if only for your peace of mind.

I noticed that you are applying to lots of schools in certain parts of the country (NYC, the whole northeast), but only prestigious ones in the midwest and south. Are you applying to those schools (Duke, U of Chicago, Wash U) just because of the prestige? The rest of your list makes it sound like you want to be on the east coast. I would just be careful about applying to schools only because they're impressive names, if they're not in a part of the country you can see yourself living. However, I don't really know what your motive is, maybe you have another reason for applying to those places. Well, good luck.

Oh dear lord?don?t let Cerb see this thread??

You?re fine?didn?t you see the averages for the schools in the MSAR? You?re above them for most?..why not add some ?safety schools? to your list? It?s only money right?

i didnt mean to sound paranoid, just a little anxious. this is a major process, as you all know, and i want to make sure i don't screw it up by overshooting my chances.

as for the regional thing, i am definitely more of an East Coast guy, but considered the other schools because i don't want to seem close-minded. i have no objections to the midwest or Cali and would be open to living there. i hear what you're saying though. and to be perfectly honest, i think my advisor is using me as a guinea pig of sorts to see where i can get in. He was the one that suggested Hopkins, Harvard, and Stanford. That kind of blew me away (I was not expecting that).

I think my conversations with him made me a little more apprehensive. I'm not usually this nervous.

Stewie87 said:
i didnt mean to sound paranoid, just a little anxious. this is a major process, as you all know, and i want to make sure i don't screw it up by overshooting my chances.

as for the regional thing, i am definitely more of an East Coast guy, but considered the other schools because i don't want to seem close-minded. i have no objections to the midwest or Cali and would be open to living there. i hear what you're saying though. and to be perfectly honest, i think my advisor is using me as a guinea pig of sorts to see where i can get in. He was the one that suggested Hopkins, Harvard, and Stanford. That kind of blew me away (I was not expecting that).

I think my conversations with him made me a little more apprehensive. I'm not usually this nervous.

What was your undergrad institution? I think you have a great shot wherever you apply, your numbers are great, being a NCAA athlete definately helps, and it seems like you've wet your feet in enough medically related EC's.

Just remember though...that this process truly is a crapshoot...and it might not heart to have a few more reasonable schools to apply to (i don't think any school is really a safety)

Good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
gobblety_gook said:
Just remember though...that this process truly is a crapshoot...and it might not heart to have a few more reasonable schools to apply to (i don't think any school is really a safety)

Good luck :thumbup:

yeah i find it hard to refer to a school as a "safety"

by the way, my undergrad was a top 25 liberal arts college in New England.

Stewie87 said:
as for the regional thing, i am definitely more of an East Coast guy, but considered the other schools because i don't want to seem close-minded. i have no objections to the midwest or Cali and would be open to living there.

Don't want to seem close minded to whom? If you're just "open" to living there as opposed to "would be happy" living there, I probably wouldn't apply. Drop a few of the Midwest schools and add some lower tier schools in the areas you like more, maybe. Although I think your list is fine as it is, too.

MoosePilot said:
Don't want to seem close minded to whom?

I realized right after I wrote that how it sounded. I didn't mean it that way, I think what I was trying to say was that although I'd like to stay in the East/Northeast, I want to branch out a little and at least see what other schools are like. I have researched all these programs, I didn't pick them blindly. I think the reason it seems like I picked more "prestigious" schools in the midwest/south is because I weighed them against the NY schools. I imagined myself getting accepted to a SUNY, and then eliminated any schools I wouldn't pick over that SUNY. I suppose I did eliminate a lot of non-northeastern schools, but that's just the way it came out.

Stewie87 said:
I realized right after I wrote that how it sounded. I didn't mean it that way, I think what I was trying to say was that although I'd like to stay in the East/Northeast, I want to branch out a little and at least see what other schools are like. I have researched all these programs, I didn't pick them blindly. I think the reason it seems like I picked more "prestigious" schools in the midwest/south is because I weighed them against the NY schools. I imagined myself getting accepted to a SUNY, and then eliminated any schools I wouldn't pick over that SUNY. I suppose I did eliminate a lot of non-northeastern schools, but that's just the way it came out.

Sounds like you've done your research and are in good shape.

Stewie87 said:
and to be perfectly honest, i think my advisor is using me as a guinea pig of sorts to see where i can get in. He was the one that suggested Hopkins, Harvard, and Stanford. That kind of blew me away (I was not expecting that). I think my conversations with him made me a little more apprehensive. I'm not usually this nervous.

so he's using you to test the AdComs?

As far as I can see, you've got plenty of "safety schools." You should have a really good chance at your state schools, and that's probably all you need. If you're open to living in the Midwest, why not add University of Michigan? It's a great school, and Ann Arbor is a neat town.

wow, clearly i'm not ready for this :scared:

i would have thought that was phenomenal; so if you're worried.... :scared:

is there a magic formula of what schools weigh the highest?

I know someone with a 39 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA who got rejected from Cornell. I think you should be worried.

YOU ARE A F... FOOL. You and the other bunch of tools that put these types of posts up. I hope that you are not my doc one day because you clearly have no sense of judgment.

Tippy007 said:
I know someone with a 39 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA who got rejected from Cornell. I think you should be worried.

YOU ARE A F... FOOL. You and the other bunch of tools that put these types of posts up. I hope that you are not my doc one day because you clearly have no sense of judgment.

christ man, chill out. the guy was just asking for some advice, you don't need to be so goddamned hostile.

the point of these forums IS TO SHARE ADVICE. no one forces you to read it.

yikes?! :eek:

huh? :rolleyes:

did i miss something here? :confused:

I'm sorry for the outburst, but you've got to be kidding me. He's got a killer MCAT and solid GPA and he's asking for advice? I'm just getting sick of reading the "I've got 35+ on the MCAT, a 3.7 GPA and only 300 hours of volunteer work saving children... should I apply to X?" posts.

Psycho Doctor said:
i would have thought that was phenomenal; so if you're worried.... :scared:

is there a magic formula of what schools weigh the highest?

Ha.....there is none.....What most have are cut-off points. Like lower than a 7 on any portion of the MCAT or 3.0 GPA.....look at the MSAR to get an idea of what you are facing. The schools report the averages for acceptance to their school.

People are freaking out because this guys numbers ARE very good?well above average for many schools.

thewzdoc said:
Ha.....there is none.....What most have are cut-off points. Like lower than a 7 on any portion of the MCAT or 3.0 GPA.....look at the MSAR to get an idea of what you are facing. The schools report the averages for acceptance to their school.

People are freaking out because this guys numbers ARE very good?well above average for many schools.

Wow, I didn't know the MSAR had info like that! Would anyone who has one at home be willing to give me some of the details for USUHS? Is the MSAR worth ordering at this point?

MoosePilot said:
Wow, I didn't know the MSAR had info like that! Would anyone who has one at home be willing to give me some of the details for USUHS? Is the MSAR worth ordering at this point?

Sure...I'll get the info to ya. I'm at work right now but I'll be home at about 4 PST.

The book is only $17.95 + ~$6 S&H. Are you applying this cycle or next?

thewzdoc said:
Sure...I'll get the info to ya. I'm at work right now but I'll be home at about 4 PST.

The book is only $17.95 + ~$6 S&H. Are you applying this cycle or next?

I'm applying this cycle, but there's a good chance that Air Force personnel will put the cabosh on my app before adcom gets the chance to. So there's a good chance I'll be part of next year's apps, too.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

MoosePilot said:

2003 numbers

1686 applicants
486 were interviewed
167 accepted

Mean GPA 3.53
Mean MCAT 9.4
Mean age 24.1 (40 % women)

Undergraduate major: 35 % biology (others that made up the difference were engineering, biochemistry, chemistry, English, and history)

Residency: 20% Northern states, 33% Southern states, 38% Western states, and 9% Central states

All that were accepted had at least a baccalaureate degree and took the MCAT. All applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30. Applicants cannot be over 30 years of age as of June 30 the year of matriculation.

Let me know if there are any other details that you need.

Rugger81 said:

I've still got a 3.93 after two years of undergrad (including organic, physics, biology, calc, etc), but we'll see how long I can hang onto it.

hey stewie,

i sent you a pm- we have very similar numbers, and i applied (2003-2004) to a lot of the same schools have in mind. good luck!

jlee9531 said:
you have a 3.8+ and a hella high mcat.

He doesn't have a 3.8+. Maybe you misread or mistyped.