I really do need your help on this one. Northeastern Honors or URI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbxvii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. I'm a high school senior going into pharmacy. I've gotten into Northeastern (Honors), URI, Rutgers, and ACPHS (that's where I've applied). I've narrowed it down between NEU and URI, but I'm really stuck on this decision its eating at me like crazy. I made pro/con list but they only came out neutral. HELP PLEASE~

Northeastern Univ. :
PROS
- Located in the college city of the world. I love Boston and where it's located. I like the T, how enthusiastic all the students are, etc.. I like city life
- Boston has great night life. Since I'll be there 6 years, I don't want to get bored...there's always something to do. It's also a "connected" city/area
- A lot of the facilities at the school are brand new
- I did get into Honors, which I guess was pretty prestigious and that could help me in the long run
- NEU has a better reputation than URI
- My sister is actually a freshman there in the pharmacy program, she could help me/show me whats up, etc.
- COOP = higher starting salary/good connections are created
- I work out a lot. I have some sort of routine each day. The marino center they have is sick and is open till 1am

CONS
- Very $...they only gave me 10k a year scholarship
- The student body is very clicky and some are absolutely crazy about partying/for some that's all they want to do
- A lot of people kind of go off and do their own thing

URI
:
PROS
- The students there are extremely laid back and very friendly
- A close pharmacy community is created
- It's a state school so people are less snobbish
- I could focus on academics there, and then is not too far away from Boston and what not (but I wouldn't know much to do there if i wasnt a student anyway)
- Student wise, I could be at the front of the pack
- A lot less expensive even OOS, they gave me 12k/yr
- Traditional campus
- Good value, they have a brand new pharmacy building going up too
- A more relaxed, quaint lifestyle

CONS
- Will be boring sometimes
- The gym is small and is only open till 9:30 weekdays and 3:30 pm on weekends
- I'd have to buy a car = deplete all my money

...I wouldn't be making this thread unless it were a last resort haha. Thanks, it's appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maybe if you weight each pro and con and "score" each accordingly, you can reach a decision. Some other things one could consider:

Do you really need a car at URI?
What kind of clinical affiliations does NEU have in the Boston area?
URI's class size is smaller than NEU's.
Cost of living in Boston vs. Kingston.
URI offers joint PharmD/MS and PharmD/MBA options.

I vote NE for the opportunities, the honors program, location, and connections. You're going to have to deal with snobby people all your life in one way or another so that "con" should be irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote NE for the opportunities, the honors program, location, and connections. You're going to have to deal with snobby people all your life in one way or another so that "con" should be irrelevant.

:thumbup:

Northeastern has an AMAZING reputation and although it is a private school it is VERY much so prestigious. I know a few people attending Northeastern now in different programs other than pharmacy, and I have never heard ANY complaints from them. Hands down, Northeastern would be my choice. I think anywhere you go on the east coast you're going to have the clique"ish" vibe. Shoot though, come on, everywhere there's always outcasting and "popularity" contests. In college you'll learn to avoid the drama and finally choose who you want to be with/hang with/ whatever. On top of that, Northeastern is also in a very great location, so you won't feel out of the loop and actually probably have some fun after hitting the books all day. Personally, RI is too quiet for my taste and I assume if you like city life (which I remember you stating), RI will NOT be the best choice for you.

Thank you all for the responses so far

It seems to me that you are more excited about going to Northeastern but more comfortable attending URI. College is about getting out of your comfort zone, and discovering who you are! Go for it, you don't want to end up at URI just to think about how it would be like if you went to NE instead. It seems that Northeastern suits your interest better. You like the city, you enjoy working out, the reputation, etc etc. And thats what North Eastern has to offer you, and then some. It seems the only thing holding you back is the cost and the fear of snobbish people and possibly getting off track academically, because of the parties and what not.

Well I don't know if your sister went there for undergrad, but she turned out okay going to NE. I'm sure there are some very motivated people just as focused as you are at NE. I think the whole click/ party scene is too big a generalization. That decision is up to you to make - if you want to party all the time or not.

Sure, there will be people who will want to party, every school will have that kind of crowd. And theres nothing wrong with having a good time. You just have to have the the strength to focus when you have to focus, but party and have a good time when you can. Its what keeps people sane. And that comes from inside, not outside. Don't worry about the "clicks", everybody discovers themselves in college, you'll be just fine at NE.
And honestly, everyone is broke in college. Don't worry, it will be a worthy investment in the long run. Especially when you're a pharmacist.

Last edited:
Wow vinny I never thought about it in that way. I think you're right too. Thanks for the great reply. Is it acceptable to take out 160,000$ in student loans for pharmacy school (4 of the years I would be) versus 100,000$, both before taxes? My sister (a 4th year at ACPHS) says to go to URI for that reason. Thanks a lot

Your sister is right. In the end, you'll end up with the same degree, a pharmD. I'm sure you'll be happy at URI also. It's really up to you. Go with your gut feeling.

My gut feeling is Northeastern. I'll end up having to go to URI i think though (if not taking a year off to work and apply to an ROTC program or military academy, and doing a standard undergrad somewhere). See, I have a very violent homelife that I'm not going to get into. I loved the coops at Northeastern because they would keep me out for the 5 years without the summers off. My mom wants to pay for nothing and my dad wants me to just join the army.

But yeah, I'll just have to make the most out of whereever I end up. I appreciate the advice