i really dont know what to expect/what schools should I look towards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aiminghigher1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.98 cGPA/ 3.95 sGPA / taking MCAT2015 in a month and have no idea what the scores are gonna be like but hopefully I do well but for now assume MCAT2015 of 505 being conservative
Asian descent
VA resident
Reputable Public State University

Activities
  1. Publications (2 second-author journal articles (1 published already, 1 likely by end of year) and 1 poster)
  2. (+1000 hours) 20-25 hours per week of inpatient hospital scribing and associated shadowing for past 12 months - 15+ doctors, 5+ specialties
  3. Previously 175 hours of clinical volunteering at local hospital
  4. Outside of Scribing, 60 hours of shadowing of 2 private practice physicians
  5. Research 1 (summer internship, full-time) in neurological disorders
  6. Research 2 (2 years, part/full time) in materials engineering/immunology
  7. Research 3 (1 summer, part-time) in counter biological warfare biosensors
  8. Research 5 (1 semester) in financial data analytics
  9. Nonprofit internship (3 months) for a reputable organization for organ transplants
  10. Large Business Background in consulting/management, projects include performing a consulting optimization project for a large domestic company with +$700 Million in annual profit that completely restructured the way they do business at one of their locations, starting an on-campus food truck and running the business behind it
  11. Teaching experience, several TA positions in both business management courses and scientific lab courses
  12. Leadership in like 4-5 organizations, 3 of which I chair and an Undergraduate Residential Advisor for 3 years (RA at most schools)
  13. Organized medical mission trips annually as part of student organization
  14. Strong student advocacy/leadership positions, student government, worked at local state government as lobbyist for mainly mental health issues
  15. Competitive Sailor

Really no idea where to apply, im terrified by the new MCAT and dont know how well i'll do. I am afraid I wont do well/wont know what doing well means on the test and will be put behind others who have taken the older MCAT

For now schools I am considering

Virginia
VCU
Virginia Tech
Uniformed Services
Tulane
UCSD
Miami
Texas A&M
Baylor
Maryland
Duke
Dartmouth
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
USC
UC Davis

Top Choices so far:
Tulane
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland
Duke
Miami

I've been pre-med for awhile but am also deeply passionate about entrepreneurship. I am currently on some tech endeavors with some friends that could be interesting start-ups. I love medicine but really don't know a whole lot about the process. All i know is that MCAT2015 has been messing with me and is probably really going to hurt my chances (at least per my advisors insight). If anyone could provide input on schools I should consider or my chances just gimme a holler

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone? Just looking for some constructive feedback on where I should look to apply/whether I'm even capable of applying this year? I have no family that's medically related so I'm the first one to pursue this path and am just not sure whether I can make it with what I have (especially in terms of the new mcat).

It's hard to make school predictions without a MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
but I'm just curious if I were to get a 30 comparable score what schools I should consider. I know if I were to get above a 36 or like a 99 percentile score people would instantly tell me to apply to top 20 schools or something but thats why I'm not asking that. I'm uncertain and just looking for a rough estimate.

With a 30, we would probably be telling you to apply to schools with a 31-33 average since your GPA is perfect. Watch out for the mission-based schools like the Uniformed Services University: if you're not into military medicine (read: gunshot wounds and limbs blown off from IEDs)- it would be a poor fit.

Come back when you get your MCAT scores, and then we'll give you good advice.

3.98 cGPA/ 3.95 sGPA / taking MCAT2015 in a month and have no idea what the scores are gonna be like but hopefully I do well but for now assume MCAT2015 of 505 being conservative
Asian descent
VA resident
Reputable Public State University

Activities
  1. Publications (2 second-author journal articles (1 published already, 1 likely by end of year) and 1 poster)
  2. (+1000 hours) 20-25 hours per week of inpatient hospital scribing and associated shadowing for past 12 months - 15+ doctors, 5+ specialties
  3. Previously 175 hours of clinical volunteering at local hospital
  4. Outside of Scribing, 60 hours of shadowing of 2 private practice physicians
  5. Research 1 (summer internship, full-time) in neurological disorders
  6. Research 2 (2 years, part/full time) in materials engineering/immunology
  7. Research 3 (1 summer, part-time) in counter biological warfare biosensors
  8. Research 5 (1 semester) in financial data analytics
  9. Nonprofit internship (3 months) for a reputable organization for organ transplants
  10. Large Business Background in consulting/management, projects include performing a consulting optimization project for a large domestic company with +$700 Million in annual profit that completely restructured the way they do business at one of their locations, starting an on-campus food truck and running the business behind it
  11. Teaching experience, several TA positions in both business management courses and scientific lab courses
  12. Leadership in like 4-5 organizations, 3 of which I chair and an Undergraduate Residential Advisor for 3 years (RA at most schools)
  13. Organized medical mission trips annually as part of student organization
  14. Strong student advocacy/leadership positions, student government, worked at local state government as lobbyist for mainly mental health issues
  15. Competitive Sailor

Really no idea where to apply, im terrified by the new MCAT and dont know how well i'll do. I am afraid I wont do well/wont know what doing well means on the test and will be put behind others who have taken the older MCAT

For now schools I am considering

Virginia
VCU
Virginia Tech
Uniformed Services
Tulane
UCSD
Miami
Texas A&M
Baylor
Maryland
Duke
Dartmouth
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
USC
UC Davis

Top Choices so far:
Tulane
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Maryland
Duke
Miami

I've been pre-med for awhile but am also deeply passionate about entrepreneurship. I am currently on some tech endeavors with some friends that could be interesting start-ups. I love medicine but really don't know a whole lot about the process. All i know is that MCAT2015 has been messing with me and is probably really going to hurt my chances (at least per my advisors insight). If anyone could provide input on schools I should consider or my chances just gimme a holler

Haha thanks, what sucks is that april scores wont come back until mid to late june after I would have already ideally submitted my applications. So using the above logic I cant really know what schools to apply to until I get my score but if I wait that long I'm already at a disadvantage for turning in my applications early. So is there really no way of knowing what schools to apply to without an MCAT score?