I REALLY need help... somebody pleease!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my situation - and I need help deciding the next step:

Decided late in college for med school, screwed up a lot my first 2-3 yrs, and brought up grades drastically in my 4th and 5th yr.

Science GPA: 2.61 (with a 3.47 from the last two years)
Non-Science: 3.32 (with a 3.56 from the last two years)
Cumulative: 3.01 (with a 3.52 from the last two years)

Took the MCAT in August: 23R (9P, 6V, 8B)
Retook in January: 29S (10P, 9V, 10B)

-fair/good amount of shadowing, volunteering, community service exp.
-working as a nurse assistant and doing research at OSU Medical School
-just got a job as an ICU Cross-trained Technician
-good LORs (I think!) from 2 science, 1 non, 1 doctor, and another science prof. soon

I graduated from UCSB and I now live in Oklahoma at home. I just began this research/job stuff.. but now I've been accepted into a post-bacc program at UC Berkeley Extension. This means need to move back and stop everything that I'm doing, and sort of start new up there.. when in reality I"m not sure my GPA could improve very much.

What should I do??? Do the post-bacc program and move? Retake the MCAT?? Take classes at a state college over summer (since this semester is gone)

Also... I want to apply really early this time (rejected last yr from everywhere, obviously), so if I did the post-bacc program, would it really help???

Thanks so much for any advice, I'm just very confused, and I really want to start school by next August - I may even go D.O....So, applying early I hear is really the key, so it's basically what can I do by sayyyy Aug. or Sep. that will go into my applications for August 2008 matriculation!

pleeaseee help!!!:confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, here's my situation - and I need help deciding the next step:

Decided late in college for med school, screwed up a lot my first 2-3 yrs, and brought up grades drastically in my 4th and 5th yr.

Science GPA: 2.61 (with a 3.47 from the last two years)
Non-Science: 3.32 (with a 3.56 from the last two years)
Cumulative: 3.01 (with a 3.52 from the last two years)

i think you need to improve the science gpa indefinitely... i couldnt even get pasted that 2.6 to read the rest of your stats

Apply D.O. now if you want to do that. I think you would get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools will take a look at your postbac grades both separately and also as a combined GPA with your postbac GPA.

You are advised to do the Postbac or a masters in hard core sciences or an SMP program though the last of the 3 optiions is the riskiest because you would be taking med school courses and if you screw up it would hurt more then help.

Doing the postbac and achieving as close to a 4.0 as possible will show adcoms that you have matured since your initial college days and that you can handle hard core sciences. I'd also talk to schools that you are interested in applying and seeing their take on this issue but it seems that this is the best option for you and I wouldn't pass it up. Of course that does not mean it is the only option and that's why I encourage you to email or call adcom directors or deans of schools of interest.

You can always apply to the Caribbean... that's if you have lots and lots money of course.

I don't want to be mean, but Ouch! Your also a cali resident so again Ouch! But hope is not lost, you still have options (3 to be exact).

1) Take post-back (SMP)- get as close to a 4.0 as humanly possible and then you may have a chance into US allo. It is, however, a problem since you want to apply in 2008 Aug. I think med school doesn't want you to apply until the program is over, which would make you lose a year. There are certain ones that finish faster and other considerations or exceptions are made however.

2) Apply to Caribbean - They tend to accept students with lower GPA/MCAT and the two more popular schools you should look into is ROSS and SGU. Do your research though, non-traditional paths have a lot more complications in the future and should be well learned beforehand (e.g. you will need a yr internship b4 residency).

3) Apply to DO school - you had mentioned that DO school as a candidate and if the MD after your name does not bother you, I highly recommend this path. You can apply as soon as you like and you have typical DO stats.

*WARNING *- this does not mean you will be guaranteed into DO/MD/caribbean with my advice. The process in all cases may be complicated and difficult. I suggest you further your research in these options with great emphasis in residency. Hospitals would prop. consider US residents over caribbean, and not every residency are DO certified.

Best of luck.

Did you already take pre-req courses in college? If so, the post-bacc grades would probably not be that impressive to med schools since you've already learned the material.

I agree with the above posters that you should apply to osteopathic schools as well.

As a reapplicant (and a Maine resident who first applied as a California resident) I would suggest that you do the post-bacc at UCB.
1. Do well.
2. Keep your OKLAHOMA residency status. (I decided to return to Maine after my unsuccessful first attempt and it appears to be working this round.)
3. Become active and engaged in any of the many healthcare and non-healthcare-related volunteer activities in the Bay Area (homeless shelter clinic, etc). Something that really peaks your interest in healthcare.

When you apply, apply broadly to MD and DO programs. Use your Oklahoma residency to apply to your state school and any other med school that may have preferred acceptance to Oklahoma applicants (if there are any).

If you do well in the post-bacc, you will definitely get into many DO schools and, if you market yourself well, an MD program or two. Good luck!