I really need some ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlawlesBombshll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a new member on here and I really need some studying advice
this summer I am taking CHEM1, CAL 1, BIO 2 and two electives

so far in my bio, chem and cal class I have failed the first test..
I really need some input on ways to improve:(:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

You need to study. I know it sounds obvious, but it's true. You can ALWAYS ace science courses like that with enough studying. Put your phone down, shut your computer, and just start studying.

The people who 4.0 college aren't the smartest. They're the most dedicated. If you're getting practice questions wrong, you're not done studying.

You really need to figure out how to study. Many students believe that just because they go to the library for eight hours they will pull a 4.0. This is totally false. Think of it like going to the gym. If you get a gym membership will you automatically get in shape? Absolutely not. You need to work for it. Learning material is hard work. When you are going over your notes or readings for your class, really try to actively engage yourself in the learning process. If you are trying to memorize information, read it and then try to recite it or re-write it without looking at the source. If you feel like you didn't really learn it well the first time, go over it again. If you are honest with yourself this approach should work.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah like the above comments. Its all about both putting in the time required to do well AND studying correctly. I would say, try and find some friends/random people in the class to make a study group with. I would often find friends and we would reserve a group study room and just teach each other what we went over in class. Find a chalk board and split up the sections. Read over the material. Understand it yourself and then teach it with pictures and diagrams if possible.

Also make fun ways to remember it. Getting crazy and hilarious about it is always a good way to remember. If its dense material then try condensing it into mnemonics and other easy ways to remember. For instance when remembering the cranial nerves there are probably a hundred different mnemonics already out there. Try searching online. There have been plenty of pre-meds through the same courses before so dont reinvent the wheel.

Also consider your course load. Sometimes you gotta take a step back and consider whats on your plate. I had a 16 credit summer semester that was exceedingly brutal. I was able to get through with straight A's but it took a toll on other aspects of my life. You might have to skip a few weekends at the bar with friends to get through it. But when you are graduating your senior year knowing that you have already been accepted into medical school. Its probably an amazing feeling. (Still working on that myself of course!)

You need to study. I know it sounds obvious, but it's true. You can ALWAYS ace science courses like that with enough studying. Put your phone down, shut your computer, and just start studying.

The people who 4.0 college aren't the smartest. They're the most dedicated. If you're getting practice questions wrong, you're not done studying.

Thank you for the advice;

You really need to figure out how to study. Many students believe that just because they go to the library for eight hours they will pull a 4.0. This is totally false. Think of it like going to the gym. If you get a gym membership will you automatically get in shape? Absolutely not. You need to work for it. Learning material is hard work. When you are going over your notes or readings for your class, really try to actively engage yourself in the learning process. If you are trying to memorize information, read it and then try to recite it or re-write it without looking at the source. If you feel like you didn't really learn it well the first time, go over it again. If you are honest with yourself this approach should work.

Yeah like the above comments. Its all about both putting in the time required to do well AND studying correctly. I would say, try and find some friends/random people in the class to make a study group with. I would often find friends and we would reserve a group study room and just teach each other what we went over in class. Find a chalk board and split up the sections. Read over the material. Understand it yourself and then teach it with pictures and diagrams if possible.

Also make fun ways to remember it. Getting crazy and hilarious about it is always a good way to remember. If its dense material then try condensing it into mnemonics and other easy ways to remember. For instance when remembering the cranial nerves there are probably a hundred different mnemonics already out there. Try searching online. There have been plenty of pre-meds through the same courses before so dont reinvent the wheel.

Also consider your course load. Sometimes you gotta take a step back and consider whats on your plate. I had a 16 credit summer semester that was exceedingly brutal. I was able to get through with straight A's but it took a toll on other aspects of my life. You might have to skip a few weekends at the bar with friends to get through it. But when you are graduating your senior year knowing that you have already been accepted into medical school. Its probably an amazing feeling. (Still working on that myself of course!)

Thanks for the advice I think overload on my course work; the only reason I did this was because I switched majors so I am playing catch up:scared::(:scared:

That's a lot of coursework for a summer semester.

Try doing all of what the above posters said, but if you can't bring your grades up by the second test in each, you might want to consider withdrawing from some classes and focusing on getting the highest grade possible in the others.

It's all about your work ethic really, and putting in the required work to excel in these courses.

You need to find what you are doing wrong and correct those mistakes.

Thanks for the advice I think overload on my course work; the only reason I did this was because I switched majors so I am playing catch up:scared::(:scared:

Take an extra year. That is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than killing your GPA, if med school is your goal. Unless you are confident you can ace these classes despite the failed tests, drop the classes and don't overload yourself in future semesters. :luck:

Take an extra year. That is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than killing your GPA, if med school is your goal. Unless you are confident you can ace these classes despite the failed tests, drop the classes and don't overload yourself in future semesters. :luck:

^ yep!!

I dropped Spanish because I was getting a 3.5 in the class (That's a B to you weirdos that use the ABCDF scale still).