I really want to become a doctor but is it too late for me now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanzo177

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 19 just finished my second year of science undergrad going into my third next year and now i just realized that i really want to become a doctor. i didn't know what i wanted to do with my life before but i figured out now and i'm 100% sure this is what i want to do and want this more anything.but i think i screwed myself up i went into university straight out of high school not knowing what i wanted to do made some stupid mistakes and ended up doing horribly i looked more into doctor thing and flipped when i saw the prereq courses needed for med school as they were the same courses i was taking in my science bachelor program

1 year 6 credits each of Bio, General Chem, Physics, Organic Chem, English and biochemistry

which i have almost covered in the last 2 years of my program without realizing and did horribly in

in Bio i got a -C and a -B
in general chem i got a -C and -B
i took 1 semester of English and got a D
Organic chem i got a B 1st term and failed 2nd term gotta retake it
and in Physics i got two C's in both terms

my overall GPA right now is 2.0 after 2 years of university
i haven't even tried the MCAT yet

So you can see i damaged my prereq GPA pretty badly which turns out is really important for med school applications

What can i do now i feel like a monkey trying to reach for the moon :(

any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 19 just finished my second year of science undergrad going into my third next year and now i just realized that i really want to become a doctor. i didn't know what i wanted to do with my life before but i figured out now and i'm 100% sure this is what i want to do and want this more anything.but i think i screwed myself up i went into university straight out of high school not knowing what i wanted to do made some stupid mistakes and ended up doing horribly i looked more into doctor thing and flipped when i saw the prereq courses needed for med school as they were the same courses i was taking in my science bachelor program

1 year 6 credits each of Bio, General Chem, Physics, Organic Chem, English and biochemistry

which i have almost covered in the last 2 years of my program without realizing and did horribly in

in Bio i got a -C and a -B
in general chem i got a -C and -B
i took 1 semester of English and got a D
Organic chem i got a B 1st term and failed 2nd term gotta retake it
and in Physics i got two C's in both terms

my overall GPA right now is 2.0 after 2 years of university
i haven't even tried the MCAT yet

So you can see i damaged my prereq GPA pretty badly which turns out is really important for med school applications

What can i do now i feel like a monkey trying to reach for the moon :(

any advice would be much appreciated thanks
Nothing is impossible, but your course would be far easier if you take advantage of the DO (AACOMAS) application service's grade forgiveness policy and apply to osteopathic medical schools. They will only count the most recent grade if you retake for the same credit hours or greater.

DO grade forgiveness. BOOM. It will take extra work to retake those classes on your part (and prove that you can do well) but this is really your best bet, trying to drag up a 2.0 GPA with 2 years under your belt to a level that would be acceptable to MD schools would be a looong process. I would just go the DO route. Have you shadowed yet? ECs? etc. These are important too to be sure this is really something you want to do!

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't fret! I was in your same exact shoes less than 2 years ago! I was wrapping up my sophomore year when I realized medicine was my passion in life, and at the time I had a cGPA off less than 3.0. However, once I realized what I really wanted to do in life, I quit messing around and got my life in order, and have boosted my grades tremendously. Even without grade replacement, I've gotten up to a 3.5+, with two 4.0's my senior year.

I have not applied to medical school yet (I will this upcoming June), but I have high hopes for the future, allopathic or osteopathic.

The most important advice I can give you is to follow your passion. If medicine is what you really are passionate about, there is no doubt you can do it! People have done it under circumstances like you before, and pulled it off because they wouldn't give up.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Listen to my friend Cat. BUT, you're going to have to fix whatever isn't working first.

Nothing is impossible, but your course would be far easier if you take advantage of the DO (AACOMAS) application service's grade forgiveness policy and apply to osteopathic medical schools. They will only count the most recent grade if you retake for the same credit hours or greater.