I REALLY Want to Drop a Course, How Many of You Have Done So in the Past?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Have you Dropped/Taken a W in a Course Before?

• No, I never dropped a course, you pansy...

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • 1 W/Drop

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • 2-3 W/Drops

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • >4 W/Drops

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

metalgearHMN

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so last quarter I was thinking about doing Computer Science and so I signed up for Multivar Calculus. Now I've realized I don't want to do CS and don't need the class anymore and I'm going to drop it, the deadline being this Friday. How many of you have dropped courses in the past, if so how many? Were interviewers jumping to give you the third degree about it? Did you handle it well when asked about it?

I'm not to frazzled about taking the W because I have a good explanation (no longer needed the class). What's your guys' take on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped one class and was never asked about it. Got into a good school :)

Members don't see this ad :)
at my school you can drop a course 3-4 weeks after start of semester and it doesnt count as a withdrawal and never shows up on a transcript.

after my first physics test.....i was OUT. i took it over the summer with a teacher that actually knew what he was doing and i did fine. it also was non-calculus based, which probably helped :)

Go ahead & withdraw, since you are no longer interested it. It's not a red flag unless you have a pattern of withdrawals and retakes.

Just make sure that you stay a full-time student if you need to do that to maintain insurance or scholarships that hinge on having that status.

Ive dropped a Class because it was crap....I doubt anyone really cares unless you have a number of drops throughout your UG career.

I dropped one class (microbiology) because I was diagnosed with a chornic disease and transitioning to new meds was taking a toll on me- I already had Organic Chemistry 2 and Physics 2

2 W's on transcript (fall freshman: physics 1, spring sophomore: ochem 2) never questioned about at interviews. Don't worry about it, just don't make it a habit and create a noticeable trend.

Yeah I have 3 W's on my transcript, and it never came up in any interviews. I'm starting med school in the fall, so no worries!

I just dropped a course this morning. I got my money back and it won't count against me. I'd be a little hesitant to drop a course in which I'll get a W and no refund but if my grade is on the line, I'll totally do it.

I had 5 Withdraws (Gen Chem I twice, gen chem I lab 2 and gen chem recitation) and still got multiple acceptances. I must say that I explained it all in my personal statement. The first time I dropped because I decided I wanted to try a route other than premed.

yes

3 or less should be no problem.