I REALLY Want to Drop a Course, How Many of You Have Done So in the Past?

Have you Dropped/Taken a W in a Course Before?

• No, I never dropped a course, you pansy...

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • 1 W/Drop

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • 2-3 W/Drops

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • >4 W/Drops

Votes: 6 10.5%

• Total voters

metalgearHMN

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2007
Groznyj Grad
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, so last quarter I was thinking about doing Computer Science and so I signed up for Multivar Calculus. Now I've realized I don't want to do CS and don't need the class anymore and I'm going to drop it, the deadline being this Friday. How many of you have dropped courses in the past, if so how many? Were interviewers jumping to give you the third degree about it? Did you handle it well when asked about it?

I'm not to frazzled about taking the W because I have a good explanation (no longer needed the class). What's your guys' take on this?

bretticus

NeuroIR fellow
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Missouri
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I dropped one class and was never asked about it. Got into a good school :)

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
at my school you can drop a course 3-4 weeks after start of semester and it doesnt count as a withdrawal and never shows up on a transcript.

after my first physics test.....i was OUT. i took it over the summer with a teacher that actually knew what he was doing and i did fine. it also was non-calculus based, which probably helped :)

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2007
Keeping Warm
Status
Go ahead & withdraw, since you are no longer interested it. It's not a red flag unless you have a pattern of withdrawals and retakes.

Just make sure that you stay a full-time student if you need to do that to maintain insurance or scholarships that hinge on having that status.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Ive dropped a Class because it was crap....I doubt anyone really cares unless you have a number of drops throughout your UG career.

futuredrcrawfor

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I dropped one class (microbiology) because I was diagnosed with a chornic disease and transitioning to new meds was taking a toll on me- I already had Organic Chemistry 2 and Physics 2

uofm22200

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2008
Minneapolis
Status
Pre-Medical
2 W's on transcript (fall freshman: physics 1, spring sophomore: ochem 2) never questioned about at interviews. Don't worry about it, just don't make it a habit and create a noticeable trend.

ShipsDr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I have 3 W's on my transcript, and it never came up in any interviews. I'm starting med school in the fall, so no worries!

Maxx4

Have I annoyed you yet?
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
I just dropped a course this morning. I got my money back and it won't count against me. I'd be a little hesitant to drop a course in which I'll get a W and no refund but if my grade is on the line, I'll totally do it.

drosenb3

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I had 5 Withdraws (Gen Chem I twice, gen chem I lab 2 and gen chem recitation) and still got multiple acceptances. I must say that I explained it all in my personal statement. The first time I dropped because I decided I wanted to try a route other than premed.

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
yes

3 or less should be no problem.