"I REALLY want to go to your school!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I REALLY want to go to a school, but haven't heard from them since my interview, do you think writing a letter like this will help me at all? Any success stories? If so, who do I address it to? The dean? The director of admission? Who?

Members don't see this ad.

I was gonna write a very similar letter to one of the schools I interviewed at. I was just gonna address it to the admissions committee. I really dont' think it could hurt. I would like to hear some success stories though if there are any that used this tactic.

I wrote such a letter to the associate dean of admissions at my top choice school, after my interviewer recommended I do so (he said he recommends all his interviewees do this). I sent the letter a couple weeks before the committee met to review regular decision applicants, at the end of January. I received my acceptance letter shortly after that. Whether or not the letter helped,I'm not sure, but I'm sure it didn't hurt. Just make sure you are sincere if you send such a letter. I've seen some people mention on SDN that med schools communicate back and forth about applicants later in the cycle, so if you send a letter to more than one school it's possible they might find out.

Anyway...in case this might be of any help, in my letter I stated the reasons that school is my top choice, not in a bulleted list (as some have recommended on this board) but in the body of the letter (paragraph). I also thanked the dean for taking the time to talk with the interviewees on the interview date, and mentioned that I noticed how enthusiastic their students seemed about the program.

Hope this helps...Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nebula

Thanks for replying.

Did you send your letter by email or snailmail? Also, you wrote that you addressed it to the Associate Dean of Admissions... if you sent it by regular mail, did you just send the letter to the Office of Admissions? How do you know it reached who you wanted to get it to?

Thanks again.

I sent it snail mail (I thought it would be more personal and professional than email). I had his business card, which had his name, title, and address on it. The address on his card is the same as the admissions office, so he should have gotten it either way (on the envelope I put his name, title, and address). I really have no way of knowing he actually got it, as I didn't send it certified or anything; I just trusted if I sent it with his name specifically on it he would get it (or someone who could put it in my file, I guess).