I really want to hear your opinion!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardtooth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone,
I am a International dentist, my final goal is practising in USA. Actuaaly I am looking for some way tomake my dream true. I saw Toothlaw posted a MS program of the department of prothodontics and biomaterial ( major in dental biomaterial, and minor in prothodontics )in UAB dental school in somewhere . Actully I am very interested in this program.I think I don't have more experices In the application. I know everyone in here is helpful and kindness. The program is ( http://www.dental.uab.edu/departments/biomaterials/Apply.html ). I really want to know what is everyone's opinion. Can you have a look kindly? What I want to know is whether it benefits my final goal to practice in USA or not. Did anyone graduate from this program?

Thank you in advance!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

hey there.....i havent graduated from the program nor have any knowledge about biomaterials, but my write up now is only based on a co-relation of what your demands are and the sources available from the website you have given .....
if you think you can "practice" as a dentist after this program, yes you can, but in some states only..(for more info on tht list do yur search, as the thread existed some days ago..)
but what seems to me is that this program is so much into orienting a candidate for academics and research and training, that even if you mention a single word about "practicing" dentistry in your statement of admission, you will be for sure rejected! yeah you can practice later on, but thats a different issue altogether and depends on you...but this program is not the place where you may get to learn all the general dentistry stuff and go for private practice.....it mainly focusses on building yur career in research and make you an academician as well as teach you the applications of biomaterials on advanced/current restorative dentistry, and thats the reason i believe they have included the clinical component as well;
this certainly won't fetch you a certificate in Prosthodontics though..sounds more like an Operative Dentistry to me....
also a similar program in Operative Dentistry exists in the Univ of North Carolina..check it out as well....
hope this helps....and good luck
k'jal

Hi,Kajalkiran,
Thank you for your promptly reply,It is very helpful for me.Do you think it is advanced training in speciality based on your opionion and also What's the prospect ?
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate KAJALKIRAN for his kindly reply very much, and I also welcome everyone to give his opinion in here. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by KAJALKIRAN
....but what seems to me is that this program is so much into orienting a candidate for academics and research and training, that even if you mention a single word about "practicing" dentistry in your statement of admission, you will be for sure rejected!....

You are ssssooooo rigth girl.

Hardtooth,

None of us can tell you whether this program will allow you to practice in the US. You should contact the state dental boards of the states where you might be interested in practicing, and ask them directly whether this programs fulfills their requirement for licensing foreign trained dentists.

Good luck!