I received an offer..... need help NOW!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

Gard

Hi everyone... I am a pre med at University of Arizona, and just spoke with an MD back in MO, where I'm from. He offered me $120,000 to go to Nurse Practitioner school, and work in his clinic. He told me that if he had it to do over again, he'd go to NP school instead of med school, and this was his reason:
1. Socialization of medicine in America today, leading to Government control of Doctor's salaries, and hospitals being forced to pay lower salaries as well.

Now, keep in mind, this guy was a doogie howser, he was a doctor by the time he was 20 years old. He said he'd make me part owner of the clinic as well. I moved to AZ to have a better chance of acceptance. I've pretty much got a shoe-in to DO school, but I don't know if I want to give up 3 to 7 years of my life in residency, and start making money when I'm 33, as opposed to 25, when I could graduate from NP school. Taking into consideration, the debt load, the socialization, etc etc etc. What would you guys or gals do??? Thanks for all your opinions, as they all help, good or bad.

Gard

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! I didn't know stuff likethis really happens. My advice is to take the guy up on his offer. I am not extremely versed in the intracacies of NP duties, but it seems like they have almost as much autonomy as a doctor, at least in a family care setting. Also, the years are important. From what I hear, residency is hell and many feel its not being done humanely (for the patient or the doctor). Not to mention that you're going to own part of a business! I think some things to think about, though, are:

Are you able to MODIFY your original dream to becoming an NP instead of a doc?

Do you feel comfortable giving this guy this sort of control? After all, he's sort of bribing you (not that you'd be getting cheated unless you have a need within yourself to really be a doctor, and only a doctor)

Are you sure he's going to follow through on all his promises?

What are his motivations for wanting you to be an NP so badly?

Is everything he's telling you about doctors' salaries, etc. absolutely right, or is he maybe using a little propoganda to get what he wants? I personally think doctors won't let the health-care system in America go to hell (they/we are a VERY capable bunch)--but again, I'm no authority.

Good luck in this once in a lifetime decision. Remember, no matter what you choose, there are HUGE advantages that would have to be given up by the fact that you are picking one over the other. So there's nothing you can do about those "missed opportunity" feelings.

-RDO

If you want money now go for the deal. If you really want to become a doctor then go through med school. How bad do you want to be a doctor? Is it for the money? These are questions I would ask myself. Becoming a doctor will be a long term investment of your life. Also take into consideration, that he may have said that he wouldn't become a doctor again, because the load was too much at such a young age. Don't know if this helps, but ask yourself is money the reason?

young guy np

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want money now go for the deal. If you really want to become a doctor then go through med school. How bad do you want to be a doctor? Is it for the money? These are questions I would ask myself. Becoming a doctor will be a long term investment of your life. Also take into consideration, that he may have said that he wouldn't become a doctor again, because the load was too much at such a young age. Don't know if this helps, but ask yourself is money the reason?

young guy np

Go wherever you feel more comfortable.

Wow thats pretty intense. I dont know your exact situation but I would sleep on this decision for a little while. Granted I am sort of "locked in" at this point...but I never would have bailed for NP if I got that offer. I can understand the "money now" vs "money later" thing...but I would def. advise you to go with the "money later." Yeah as a NP you may have 10 years of earned cash in your pocket. However most likely less than 10 years of being a MD/DO will recoup that cash....and you will have much more money making potential for the rest of your career. In addition to this (albeit I dont know you or your spending habits), you tend to be much more irresponsible with money in your early/mid 20s. In my early-mid 20s I as blowing all my cash as fast as I could have made it. Did I have cool ****? Yeah. Did I always have whatever car I wanted (within reason) yeah. But I could have spent the last 5 years of my life after college saving cash and now blowing it. Granted I did save a little and buy a house....but I am 100 percent running off loans now with zero savings from the last 5 years. Could you see yourself being financially responsible with 100k-ish @ age 25? I would much rather start at age 34 (which is where I am on target for) and be more responsible with my money...and have a higher ceiling for the remainder of my career. This is all fiscal of course...but there is a ton of other stuff that drove my decision to become a doc as opposed to a midlevel...but I wont get into that.

WHOA EPIC BUMP. I totally fell for that...but whatever my advice still stands lol I wonder what OP ended up doing?

*Waits for Cole to post a serious reply in thread*

Jesus Christ. I don't think I started puberty when this thread was made. Look at the date before you post.

He did look. He was just trying to be funny. It takes effort to uncover a thread this old.

He did look. He was just trying to be funny. It takes effort to uncover a thread this old.

You give me much too much credit. I was just searching the forums and this came up and obviously warranted a response as it seemed very urgent!

By the way...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioSWCEPDps[/youtube]

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations, you just bumped a 12 year old thread. :thumbup: I was 5 when this thread was created...yikes!
SAM-JACKSON-CLAPPING-GIF.jpg

Thats what I got out of this too. In 1999 everyone was worried about socialization and doctors making less than teachers, and it didnt materialize 12 years later. Now we are having the same conversations. I'm gonna bump some of the doom and gloom threads today 10 years from now when we are all attendings and nothing has changed =P

PS: I'm on a lot of forums and I've never seen anything as epic as a 12 year bump. Most I've seen is ~8

Thats what I got out of this too. In 1999 everyone was worried about socialization and doctors making less than teachers, and it didnt materialize 12 years later. Now we are having the same conversations. I'm gonna bump some of the doom and gloom threads today 10 years from now when we are all attendings and nothing has changed =P

PS: I'm on a lot of forums and I've never seen anything as epic as a 12 year bump. Most I've seen is ~8

The only other forum I am active on has only been around since 2004, and I have never seen a thread that old.

EDIT: I like your idea of bumping the doom and gloom threads in 12 years.

I suppose if you look at it that way it is rather insightful. I wonder what the OP chose.

He's been bumping old threads on purpose. :mad: Whyyyyy?

Does anyone know how this played out? I am curious, since this person is presumably finished with his/her NP/MD, if the doctor made good on his promise.

EDIT: I like your idea of bumping the doom and gloom threads in 12 years.

Gives me something to look forward to!

*Waits for Cole to post a serious reply in thread*

haha YES! *crosses fingers*

Does anyone know how this played out? I am curious, since this person is presumably finished with his/her NP/MD, if the doctor made good on his promise.

I wonder, too. The OP definitely had a difficult decision to make. Either way, it is comforting to think that they ended up in medicine, helping others. :thumbup:

Hi everyone... I am a pre med at University of Arizona, and just spoke with an MD back in MO, where I'm from. He offered me $120,000 to go to Nurse Practitioner school, and work in his clinic. He told me that if he had it to do over again, he'd go to NP school instead of med school, and this was his reason:
1. Socialization of medicine in America today, leading to Government control of Doctor's salaries, and hospitals being forced to pay lower salaries as well.

Now, keep in mind, this guy was a doogie howser, he was a doctor by the time he was 20 years old. He said he'd make me part owner of the clinic as well. I moved to AZ to have a better chance of acceptance. I've pretty much got a shoe-in to DO school, but I don't know if I want to give up 3 to 7 years of my life in residency, and start making money when I'm 33, as opposed to 25, when I could graduate from NP school. Taking into consideration, the debt load, the socialization, etc etc etc. What would you guys or gals do??? Thanks for all your opinions, as they all help, good or bad.

Gard

Take the NP position. Clearly an Al Gore presidency will cause doctors to be sold up the river. I mean it would be nice if a Republican like George Bush's son or Steve Forbes could win and bring about peace and prosperity, but I really don't see that happening given the political tide at the moment.

Though, if you are really worried about your financial future, I've bought a ton of pets.com stock that's gonna make me rich.

Take the NP position. Clearly an Al Gore presidency will cause doctors to be sold up the river. I mean it would be nice if a Republican like George Bush's son or Steve Forbes could win and bring about peace and prosperity, but I really don't see that happening given the political tide at the moment.

Though, if you are really worried about your financial future, I've bought a ton of pets.com stock that's gonna make me rich.

Win.

Also, you're wrong.

thats pretty awesome. looks like the OP of that thread didnt get many funny stories, but the show still managed to have its funny moments.

Ha yeah it was a good show...Lol, my first and most influential clinical experiences happened while watching Scrubs :thumbup:

I've been watching it for weeks now, just whenever I get bored. Still funny as hell.

Assuming Y2K doesn't end civilization Senator McCain is going to get the nomination. Americans don't like dynasties. After all the First Lady is running for Senator in New York, she will never run for president.

Saying that a Republican will win next year is like saying that in 2008 some black dude nobody has heard of will become president. Read: it is never going to happen.

And nice choice on the pets.com, although Enron looks like a good solid company to invest in too.

Last edited:
Hi everyone... I am a pre med at University of Arizona, and just spoke with an MD back in MO, where I'm from. He offered me $120,000 to go to Nurse Practitioner school, and work in his clinic. Taking into consideration, the debt load, the socialization, etc etc etc. What would you guys or gals do??? Thanks for all your opinions, as they all help, good or bad.

Gard

Forget his offer. I heard these guys at Standford are creating a new search engine called Google. Definitely jump on that.

Or, become best friends with this 15 year old kid Mark Zuckerburg. Word on the street is the dude's wicked smart.

Forget his offer. I heard these guys at Standford are creating a new search engine called Google. Definitely jump on that.

Or, become best friends with this 15 year old kid Mark Zuckerburg. Word on the street is the dude's wicked smart.

well Zukerberg is around the same age as me, and I was a freshman in HS back then.

/and I can't really imagine him being the type who had "friends" in high school.

I bet he used dial up to post that, but not before he remembered to save his writing assignment on a 3 1/2 floppy.

Last edited:

Search engines won't work. They are just too broad.

I'll come back later to see how the OP responds. Right now I have to go play Age of Empires I on MSN gaming zone with my brand new etower 366i2 and its whopping 32 mb of RAM. Eat your heart out.

I think there were definitely as many cheat units in that game as real units.

I only remember the missile launching sports cars and the laser space dudes. What other cheat units were there?

I only remember the missile launching sports cars and the laser space dudes. What other cheat units were there?

I remember a catapult that launched cows and a baby on a tricycle armed with a bazooka. There were way more I think.