i retook a class and got a B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabulous20

medalltheway
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took biochem and got a D, and then retake it and get a B, how bad does it look when you apply to med school??

What if you did that for another class, too?

Members don't see this ad.

It shows you cared enough to try to master the material.

Ditto the above.

Chill. The D would have killed you. Avg'd, it's a C. Move on, move up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be proud of yourself to make such an improvement and I am sure most adcoms will notice it as well. I retook Physics 1 in which I got a C- and got a B and was grateful for it since I hate the subject with a passion and also because it showed committment and wanting to have a 2nd chance to prove myself with the material.

Yea I think it shows that you cared to try again and learn the material. Obviously you did improve and like previously stated, it averages out to a C.

Good luck.

When I saw the title of this thread, "boo hoo" just shot out of my mouth.

It looks bad. Biochem is a great predictor of med school performance and if you've already seen the material once I would think the second time you should kick everyone's ***. But there's nothing you can do about it, so . . . .?

It looks bad. Biochem is a great predictor of med school performance and if you've already seen the material once I would think the second time you should kick everyone's ***. But there's nothing you can do about it, so . . . .?

Quit being a jerk.

He's a realist.
Bchem is not a predictor of anything.

There's no reason to be a shit just because someone's asking the same questions that get asked everyday. That's the way it works here. Play nice or go find a new sandbox. Quit pissing in mine.

If you took biochem and got a D, and then retake it and get a B, how bad does it look when you apply to med school??

What if you did that for another class, too?

I got a D in Org 1, retook and got an A. Not the end of the world.

I think there is some silly study saying your biochem grade has something to do with your success in medical school or the boards or some insanity...I think its one of the more failed classes in medical school as well.

I think there is some silly study saying your biochem grade has something to do with your success in medical school or the boards or some insanity...I think its one of the more failed classes in medical school as well.

Eurgh, let's do a study correlating "size" with "success", and just call it a day.

Eurgh, let's do a study correlating "size" with "success", and just call it a day.

the AAMC also has a fun study that links Verbal score with boards/GPA but the correlation is so weak its laughable, most of their studies are...

i wouldn't be worried about the biochem. i do agree that it is a good predictor for med school performance. but whatever, i doubt anyone will look twice at it. if someone brings it up in an interview, just think of a simple reason why you didn't get the A (since they will assume that since you took it once, the second time should have been perfect).

i got a C- in physics 2, retook it and got a B. but later i got a 14 on PS, so i showed 'em i knew my stuff.

Biology was the strongest indicator of success in that study. And also just know that if you have a D and a B on your amcas transcript, then it averages out to a C. If your biochem class was 4 units, its a C averaged out over 8 units. That makes it really hard to raise, and will surely put a dent in your GPA.

smallestviolinwz4.jpg

B is a fine grade. Relax. :)