jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
How can this type of molecule exist?

H3NCH2CH3Cl

I saw it in Collins on page 17 in the chem unit.

Nitrogen already has 4 bonds and the two carbons already have their bonds full so where does the Chlorine bind to?

I'm sure I must be missing something basic (no pun).

1ive2die

5+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
How can this type of molecule exist?

H3NCH2CH3Cl

I saw it in Collins on page 17 in the chem unit.

Nitrogen already has 4 bonds and the two carbons already have their bonds full so where does the Chlorine bind to?

I'm sure I must be missing something basic (no pun).
It's a misprint. Move along, nothing to see here.

About the Ads
Aug 1, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
It's an ionic bond. The nitrogen has four bonds so its formal charge is +1. Chlorine, when it's an ion, has a charge of -1 so it's ionically bonded to the rest of the molecule.

[CH3CH2NH3]+ [Cl]-

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
It's an ionic bond. The nitrogen has four bonds so its formal charge is +1. Chlorine, when it's an ion, has a charge of -1 so it's ionically bonded to the rest of the molecule.

[CH3CH2NH3]+ [Cl]-
I was thinking the same thing. In general, anytime I see Cl, Na, Mg, K, ect. I think "salt".

xtsukiyox

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 19, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
I was thinking the same thing. In general, anytime I see Cl, Na, Mg, K, ect. I think "salt".
:thumbup: Yep. That's what I thought at first blush. Although, I've never seen an organic molecule written quite that way with no other hint in the question it's ionic. Shoot, even a space between the organic & the chlorine would have made it less of a trick.

Actually, I take that back: at the end of O Chem, they had us take a standardized / national comprehensive O Chem test in place of a final exam. (Apologies that I don't remember the name of the test.) I believe I saw them do junk like that.

chemguy79

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2006
Chapel Hill
:thumbup: Yep. That's what I thought at first blush. Although, I've never seen an organic molecule written quite that way with no other hint in the question it's ionic. Shoot, even a space between the organic & the chlorine would have made it less of a trick.

Actually, I take that back: at the end of O Chem, they had us take a standardized / national comprehensive O Chem test in place of a final exam. (Apologies that I don't remember the name of the test.) I believe I saw them do junk like that.
Side Note: It was likely the ACS Organic Chemistry exam. It is a difficult exam, but definitely manageable if you have a good professor.

About the Ads