I screwed up Major...any advices right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both, I want to do research in Bioengineering and be a physician.

I know there is something wrong. I don't really care about hanging out with friends anymore lol at this point its the least of my worries/concerns etc.

Do you mean you aim to get a PhD in BME and then apply to med school? It'll shave 5 years off your life, but it's definitely worth it if that's where you find your passion to be after you finish your BS in engineering. Besides, doing each individually is much easier than gaining an acceptance to combined MD/PhD programs anyways ;)

If this really is your goal though, I suggest you post on the physician scientist forum for better information on how to get it done.

Do you mean you aim to get a PhD in BME and then apply to med school? It'll shave 5 years off your life, but it's definitely worth it if that's where you find your passion to be after you finish your BS in engineering. Besides, doing each individually is much easier than gaining an acceptance to combined MD/PhD programs anyways ;)

If this really is your goal though, I suggest you post on the physician scientist forum for better information on how to get it done.

well after reading everything on this thread, im not sure if i want to do research anymore. my original intent was just to prove people that i can do engineering. i didnt pick engineering out of nowhere just to show that im a badass. i picked engineering because i want to live up to my father's legacy of being a badass engineer: 3.8 GPA at a top 10 school. he is the reason why im so into it (now i am atleast) medicine is my prime goal, but the only degree i would be comfortable doing is Bio-engineering or BME.

the only lucky thing is that at my school most of the CHemical Engineering classes have about a 40%+ A mark. there are a few classes like Thermodynamics that screw everyone over with only 20% getting A's but that is offered over the summer.

but like i said, this summer will determine whether i get to follow my Undergrad dream or not. ill either drop my Engineering degree or keep it after seeing how Calc for engineering goes as well as Organic Chem.

and after not even half assing through my previous classes, i think ill do excellent with those 2

EDIT: and even if i do get A's in both, i will still reconsider my major :(

Members don't see this ad :)
well after reading everything on this thread, im not sure if i want to do research anymore. my original intent was just to prove people that i can do engineering. i didnt pick engineering out of nowhere just to show that im a badass. i picked engineering because i want to live up to my father's legacy of being a badass engineer: 3.8 GPA at a top 10 school. he is the reason why im so into it (now i am atleast) medicine is my prime goal, but the only degree i would be comfortable doing is Bio-engineering or BME.

the only lucky thing is that at my school most of the CHemical Engineering classes have about a 40%+ A mark. there are a few classes like Thermodynamics that screw everyone over with only 20% getting A's but that is offered over the summer.

but like i said, this summer will determine whether i get to follow my Undergrad dream or not. ill either drop my Engineering degree or keep it after seeing how Calc for engineering goes as well as Organic Chem.

and after not even half assing through my previous classes, i think ill do excellent with those 2

Best of luck :thumbup:

Good luck, but just be aware that the schedule for summer school can be pretty disconcerting if you're just getting used to college coursework. I made the mistake of taking Ochem II the summer after my freshman year, and got completely thrown off by how fast the class went (not sure how summer classes are set up at your school, but just something to keep in mind).

As the posters above me have noted, you should probably spend a good deal of time assessing what really you intend to get out of your time in college. I having a hard time assessing whether you want to be a BME because of your father's legacy, or because you're legitimately interested in biomedical technology. I wouldn't say BME is as hard as everyone makes it out to be (except for signal processing....bleh), but if you don't truly care about the subject matter, I can guarantee that the next 3-4-5 years of your life are going to suck. If you're going to pull all-nighters writing MATLAB code or doing ridiculous derivations, you better love what you're doing.

If being a doctor is your only goal, drop BME. There are so many easier paths to medical school.