rpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
Well I justed completed my junior year as a chem major and last semester was not my best. My gpa went from a high 3.5 to a mid 3.4. My mcats are pretty good with a 34P and I have about 40 hrs total volunteering in a hospital, some shadowing, a few community event things, started research this summer, and the usual intramural sports and clubs thing.

However, I feel as if I shot my chances of getting into any med school now with the 3.4. I don't know what happened to me. I'm sitting here typing away on the personal statement of the AMCAS and looking at averages around the schools and EC's that people have done, I feel like its already over for me. :scared:

I overheard other pre-meds talk about how you shouldn't even bother applying if your GPA is not at least a 3.6 with a min. of a 30 mcat(at least i got that part down). I heard of people volunteering for hundreds of hours and doing years of research and getting published. Should I continue or get a masters or something and then apply?

jstuds_66

Free cat to a good home
10+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
USA
Status
Attending Physician
Don't listen to those premeds. If you had to have at least 30 MCAT and 3.6, a lot fewer people would be in med school. Your GPA isn't actually all that bad. Your MCAT is solid. If your EC's are good, you have nothing to worry about. Don't fret my pet.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
rpm said:
Well I justed completed my junior year as a chem major and last semester was not my best. My gpa went from a high 3.5 to a mid 3.4. My mcats are pretty good with a 34P and I have about 40 hrs total volunteering in a hospital, some shadowing, a few community event things, started research this summer, and the usual intramural sports and clubs thing.

However, I feel as if I shot my chances of getting into any med school now with the 3.4. I don't know what happened to me. I'm sitting here typing away on the personal statement of the AMCAS and looking at averages around the schools and EC's that people have done, I feel like its already over for me. :scared:

I overheard other pre-meds talk about how you shouldn't even bother applying if your GPA is not at least a 3.6 with a min. of a 30 mcat(at least i got that part down). I heard of people volunteering for hundreds of hours and doing years of research and getting published. Should I continue or get a masters or something and then apply?
As a non trad student that has been taking 20+ credit hours and working 30+ hours a week, I am mystified where people get the time the time to do thousands of hours of research and/or volunteering. I know someone is gonna get pissed at the statement I am about to make (because I am sure there are some people with thousands of legit hours), but I think a large amount of people do a LOT of exaggerating on their application. However, I wouldn't advise you to do the sme. Apply D.O. like me, unless you are hung up on title and "prestige". Good luck!

docmode

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree don't fret. Your MCAT is solid and a 3.4 will gain entrance into many schools. A chem major will be respected too. I would apply to many mid tier and safety schools also, I would not abandon a few reach schools either. Be prepared to talk about your rougher semester and think ahead of a good positive spin to put on it. Dont' panic your GPA is still fine. There are aggessive pre-meds on this site and I don't think it they are a true representation of the real world. Good luck and don't give up! Stay positive.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
What I don't get is with all the "make your app stand out" junk, why do so many people major in Chemistry? I mean, you could stand out as a philosophy or history major and with the amount of effort no doubt required for chemistry, cruise out of there with a 4.0. What gives?

PS, don't flame me for supposedly putting down the humanities. Both of my parental units were in this field. Just seems to be a lot simpler than science.

docmode

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Both of my parents were in Chemistry and I lean that way. Different strokes for different folks. We're not here to judge why people major in a subject. Hopefully, it is not to impress a committee but rather following a true interest or passion because there are no guarentees for med school and a major could very well end in a career in their subject.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status
hermit said:
What I don't get is with all the "make your app stand out" junk, why do so many people major in Chemistry? I mean, you could stand out as a philosophy or history major and with the amount of effort no doubt required for chemistry, cruise out of there with a 4.0. What gives?

PS, don't flame me for supposedly putting down the humanities. Both of my parental units were in this field. Just seems to be a lot simpler than science.
Bio majors account for about 60% of applicants. Physical sciences are at about 10%, which also includes Physics. So being a chem major does stand out.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
docmode said:
Hopefully, it is not to impress a committee but rather following a true interest or passion because there are no guarentees for med school and a major could very well end in a career in their subject.
No argument there. Nothing wrong with hedging your bet. But the more you wager, the more you win. An art major who doesn't get into medical school let it all ride. If you've got a great gig lined up in case things don't work out, there has to be a trade off. Which means no more threads whining (not necessarily this one) about how engineers and the like have it so much tougher than some others.

ParvatiP

10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
NY
Status
Medical Student
hermit said:

Some people just like chemistry...fellow chem major over here! I actually got better grades in chem than in English courses (what I intended to major in before starting college). I guess I have a natural gift for chem and I enjoy it, too. Obviously just majoring in chem because it will "look good" is stupid.
That being said, I don't think you're screwed with a 3.4 especially if your major has been challenging. I think you'll get in somewhere, just maybe not top 20 or whatever. SDN members have ridiculously high stats in comparison to the general applicant pool, so don't panic too much. Good luck!

Returnednds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
wolfram241 said:
Bio majors account for about 60% of applicants. Physical sciences are at about 10%, which also includes Physics. So being a chem major does stand out.

where does biochemistry fall in?

MinnyGophers

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
Status
Post Doc
Fellow chemistry major here too!

In my opinion (don't start flaming me), chemistry is one of the hardest majors out there, and if you go to med school, most of that knowledge won't ever help you, so majoring in it just to impress the adcomm would be shooting yourself in the foot if you don't actually love chemistry. Also, it would probably be a good idea to major in something you have interest in, you know, just in case by a horrible twist of fate, we dont get in med school at the very first try.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
rpm said:
Should I continue or get a masters or something and then apply?
Apply. Your GPA will be just under the mean at most schools and your MCAT will be just over. You're definitely still in the running.

If you were to do anything now, I'd focus on more volunteering. 40 hours clinical is not much. You have a rock solid MCAT and a decent GPA; neither of them you can change much. But you can beef up your ECs and I'd work on more clinical experience. Best of luck with it...

SitraAchra

Attending Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Best advice = don't talk to any other premeds about what it takes to get in. That's what the title "pre-med" means. They are in the same place you are, and fearmongering is just not productive!

BrownianMotion

Einstein's Simple Diffusion
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yaaayy chemistry (I'm a chem major too), there are only 11 chemistry majors at my school in my year if you believe that! and my undergrad has 4000 undergrads, prolly half of em pre-med (I go to JHU) peace

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status
Returnednds said:
they fall under the chemistry dept. at my school
Regardless, Biochemistry is (roughly) the chemistry of biological systems, so I'm farily certain it falls under the biological sciences.

Returnednds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
wolfram241 said:
Regardless, Biochemistry is (roughly) the chemistry of biological systems, so I'm farily certain it falls under the biological sciences.
I guess it depends on the school. The biochemistry program at the UC's require roughly the same chemistry classes as the regular chemistry program. I've taken a couple of P. Chem. The only exception might be upper division Organic.

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
If they are claiming 3.6 GPA and 30 MCAT...then your GPA is lower and your MCAT is higher...balances out yeah? Worked that way for me at least.

wolfram241

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2005
Status
Returnednds said:
I guess it depends on the school. The biochemistry program at the UC's require roughly the same chemistry classes as the regular chemistry program. I've taken a couple of P. Chem. The only exception might be upper division Organic.
I'm talking about whether AAMC considers Biochem Bio or Physical.

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
i became a bio major cuz i actually enjoy biology. Does that make me a minority amongst premeds?

DR. EUGENIC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
geno2568 said:
i became a bio major cuz i actually enjoy biology. Does that make me a minority amongst premeds?

its funny becasue i majored in psychology....as you might think it would be an easy 4.0 since science is harder right?......i guess i screwed that up.....i ended up with a 4.0 in sciences and 3.94 in psych... psych seemed harder to me than the sciences, which just kind of clicked...weird :eek:

Brookstacular

10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Returnednds said:
where does biochemistry fall in?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's a physical science. I just recently switched from BS-chem to BS-biochem at my school and the only thing that really changes for me is that I need one less O-Chem lab (which I still have to take for pre-med req), some electives change from Instrumental Analysis etc.. to taking Biochem, and P-Chem gets a Bio added to it in the last two quarters. Other than that, the major runs through the chem department and is so completely different than the biology BS/BA that I can't quite consider them too related.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
DR. EUGENIC said:
its funny becasue i majored in psychology....as you might think it would be an easy 4.0 since science is harder right?......i guess i screwed that up.....i ended up with a 4.0 in sciences and 3.94 in psych... psych seemed harder to me than the sciences, which just kind of clicked...weird :eek:
Sounds like you really struglled in psych :rolleyes:

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
Brookstacular said:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's a physical science. I just recently switched from BS-chem to BS-biochem at my school and the only thing that really changes for me is that I need one less O-Chem lab (which I still have to take for pre-med req), some electives change from Instrumental Analysis etc.. to taking Biochem, and P-Chem gets a Bio added to it in the last two quarters. Other than that, the major runs through the chem department and is so completely different than the biology BS/BA that I can't quite consider them too related.
It counts as Chem.

Labslave

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what...just don't count on getting interviews at top ten schools (and the like). Remember: if you're really in it to become a doctor, it shouldn't matter what school you go to (don't pay attention to the rankings; pay attention to gaining admission to the school that's going to give you the opportunities to maximize your potential). Good luck. :luck:

OP
rpm

rpm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
Thanks for the input. BTW, I decided to major in chemistry since the department is really good, the class sizes are small, and the profs. really get to know you (I go to a big univ so most profs don't even know your face). Plus I really enjoy the subject too.

I will end up applying and wait to see what happens. I looked at the MSAR and saw that some schools had an average of 3.5. Maybe my MCAT will offset the gpa a bit and I'll get accepted somewhere. With some luck I should get into some schools or pack my bags for the caribbeans(hopefully not). Anyway, thanks for the help and good luck to everyone else.