I see the article about teeth reproduction again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it really possible that the human teeth can be reproduced and the whole process will be mature in 5 years? It is scaring to see this article again. I know it has been discussed in the forum before, but I am scared about that.
If it is true, maybe only the dentist with speciality training and dental hygenist can survive? :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Nah. I wouldn't worry.

Implanting a bioengineered tooth is an invasive and complicated procedure, and the rule of thumb for ANY kind of surgery is that the chances of success is inversely proportional to the increasing complexity and invasiveness of a procedure.

The first line of defense against dental disease will always be what GPs do-- basic preventive, restorative and perio maintenance. These are simple procedures with the greatest chances for success.

The way I see it, tooth regeneration might some day take a bite out of the synthetic implant, FPD and dentures market. But it will actually boost the basic restorative and maintenance market because these regenerated teeth will need fillings and cleanings! :D

The dental profession, as it always had, will adapt to new technologies. You have nothing to worry about.

HTH!

Thanks, Dr. Hong! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Supportive tissue which may have degenerated will have to be factored into the feasability of seeding new teeth. Another issue will be final occlusion.

This news appears in CNN again. I do not tend to cause any panic, but I just feel if these research MDs still consider dentistry is not as important as medicine. That's why they won't consider the outcome of the dentists, but just announced this news. I am sure if there is one drug which can cure most of the internal diseases, this news won't be announced and would be prohibited by medical association.
Some stuff are just politics...

grettlin2
do you happen to have the article or article link with you?
since BE is my major, i would like to learn more about it.
Thanks.
Dont worry, this probably will not happen any time soon.
too much ethical issues and clinical trials will take way too long.

Eric

Why are we so concerned about the idea of bioengineering real teeth? I'm certainly not accusing anyone here of being more interested in their bottom line than the health of their patients, but this is something we should be looking at as an opportunity to improve our patients' well-being tremendously once it comes to fruition. Like Tom said, dentistry will evolve to incorporate the new technologies as they become available. Widespread fluoridation has done more to reduce dental disease than any other development in history, but no dentist worth his salt has gone out of business because of it. We'll be fine.

aphistis said:
Why are we so concerned about the idea of bioengineering real teeth? I'm certainly not accusing anyone here of being more interested in their bottom line than the health of their patients, but this is something we should be looking at as an opportunity to improve our patients' well-being tremendously once it comes to fruition. Like Tom said, dentistry will evolve to incorporate the new technologies as they become available. Widespread fluoridation has done more to reduce dental disease than any other development in history, but no dentist worth his salt has gone out of business because of it. We'll be fine.

Word. This just adds to our box of goodies to dish out to patients, and as a GP you'd be fool to be put out of business because of the intro of a procedure. If it were that good, you'd go out and learn to do it.

Also, like Tom said, the GP will always be the first line of defense. It seems that the bioengineered tooth will be a last resort, just like synthetic implants. Dentistry is and will always be conservative, and you always start with the low cost and highly successful procedures. To be at the level of cost and efficieny of an amalgam or even composite, that BE tooth will have to be around IN PEOPLE for yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssssssss. Don't forget about the testing phase, and FDA approval.

1 word for you- RELAX!!

I don't care if they can grow whole limbs, have you thought of how expensive this procedure would be? We're taking about tens of thousands of dollars here. Considering that implants costs thousands and that alone prevents many people from getting them, what makes you think people will jump on the wagon to spend that kind of dough on growing a tooth?

ecdoesit said:
grettlin2
do you happen to have the article or article link with you?
Eric
ecdoesit. I saw this article two times. One is from the resource in other language, and the other one is from CNN news. I will find the article link in CNN for you later. :)

You still have to whitten these new teeth and there is lots of $$$ in that :)

OK, we need to debate some scenarios here before we get too optimistic or pessimistic about this issue of regenerating teeth. Here are two of many I am sure.

1. Will people opt to have new molars seeded at regular optimal intervals while all of their supportive tissues are healthy? Could turn out to be a smart long term economic move or maybe not. The cost/benefit ratio may not be readily apparent.

2. To what extent will reseeding be practicle for folks whoose supportive tissues have degenerated? Such people may have to undergo highly invasive surgical procedures to make their supportive tissues a viable host for the reseeded teeth.

Here are a couple references about tooth regen if you're interested. I wouldn't trust everything on CNN...

Young CS, Terada S, Vacanti JP, Honda M, Bartlett JD, Yelick PC. Tissue engineering of complex tooth structures on biodegradable polymer scaffolds. J Dent Res 2002 Oct; 81 (10) : 695-700

Chai Y, Slavkin Hc. Prospects for tooth regeneration in the 21st century: A perspective. Microsc. Res. Tech 60: 469-479, 2003

Thanks, Bcat.
I appreciate it.