I Should give up then

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurederm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:( :mad:

I'm not like many of you here who attend top tier U's. I'm currently a student at a Cal State Univ Northridge and someone here on SDN said I'm at a "disadvantage" because it's not a great institution.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the point of this post? You want us to tell you that going to a CSU is as good as going to let's say UC Berkeley?

As long as you show you can achieve the grades and compete w/ top teir U academically... and that you are not a serial killer, you are at equal playing field.

there, did that make you feel better?

futurederm said:

I'm not like many of you here who attend top tier U's. I'm currently a student at a Cal State Univ Northridge and someone here on SDN said I'm at a "disadvantage" because it's not a great institution.
That doesn't matter. All of the advantage of a great big-name institution won't help someone who doesn't perform well there. If you have done well at Northridge, with strong extracurrics and a good MCAT, there should be little doubt that you will get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never give up!

I have a friend that went to that same state school and went to Stanford. Just kick a$$ in your coursework, good luck!

i've heard of three people from cal state hayward going to UCSF medical school.

futurederm said:

I live in Northridge and I have never heard of that school is it an online university?

If you go to a lower tier school...just make sure your at the top of your class.

Do you think you are inferior or do you think you can compete with the best of the best? I hope you choose the latter mentality.

futurederm said:

You better man/woman up and not let people on this website dissuade you from pursuing your dreams. Most of these people on here (including me) are not experts and are often times talking out of their arse. Alot of these people will try and intimidate you with the hope that you will give up (If you let these people break you then you are going to have a difficult time making adjustments when you are faced with detrimental situations.

Take almost everything said here with a grain of salt. But most importantly, know who you are and where you are going. Dont compromise your beliefs for anyone and keep your eyes and mind focused on your target.

Have you ever seen that commercial where a young (afr. amer) woman, who is interested in attending law school, is told by a man that she would make a "great law clerk". She follows his sorry advice and then we see her progression only as a law clerk. Then it culminates with her acting as a counselor to someone who is also considering a career as a law clerk. She tells that person to avoid that dead end field and pursue a JD. Well, you are in a similar situation now. Dont let someone discourage you from your current path.

Good luck and best wishes!! :D

Oh shut up.... no offense, but stop the pity party. How far you go has far more to do with you as a person than your school. Stop making excuses, and get to work. :mad:

I'm at Oregon State, by no means a top-teir anything, and I have already been accepted to JHU and gotten interviews at Harvard, Cornell, and USC.

The "unworthiness" of my school hasn't come up.

Do well wherever you are. That's all that matters!

Members don't see this ad :)
futurederm,

hey now, you gotta stay positive in this pre-med life!! Keep working hard and never keep your eye off of the prize. :)

for the rest of you guys, woah...be nice! Santa's watching!! :laugh:

futurederm said:

They just want to feel special for having gone to Harvard or whatever. Just do the best you can and don't worry about it. The CSUs are perfectly capable of providing you with a quality education. They did for me. :)

Also, if you are shooting for a derm residency you definitely need to be confident and be on top of your academics. The people who get the derm slots are at the top of their med school classes.

Just work as hard as you can without worrying about things you can't really change.

futurederm said:

This is exactly the attitude that will make you fail. Change your attitude, and you will change your future. Damn, thats a good quote. I'm going to put it on hallmarks and sell them for a hefty profit, muhahaha.
...nevermind.

Faust said:
I live in Northridge and I have never heard of that school is it an online university?

Really? Have you heard to CSUN ..."Sea Sun"? Its the same school. If not, im surprised. I go to SC and live in Sherman Oaks, and I know quite a few people who go there. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to take O Chem at CSUN this summer, sure beats $2,000/unit at my school :rolleyes:

futurederm said:

quit being a baby. you never have to face the competition people at top tier U's do. it's an advantage having a high GPA no matter where you go and how hard you work. likewise, it's a disadvantage having a low gpa no matter where you go and how hard you work. i'm sure there are many people at berkeley wishing they had your "disadvantage".

futurederm said:

Your confidence is all that you have got. Forget about other people and the schools they go to, and try and be the best you can. believe that you are the best, even if you are not. It works for me. :)

Praetorian said:
Oh shut up.... no offense, but stop the pity party. How far you go has far more to do with you as a person than your school. Stop making excuses, and get to work. :mad:
I agree. I'm so sick of seeing people post this rubbish about undergrad institution that I could :barf: .

Definitely give up. I mean my god why are you even asking!? An SDN'er has ruled you unworthy of consideration and we all know the clout SDN has on adcom's.

futurederm said:

The annoyingly pre-med student: Give up.. That's less competition and more opportunity for me.
The SDN numbers *****:Give up.. You're way out of your league coming from your disadvantaged school. I go to Yale and have a 43 MCAT.
The troll: Give up.. I've never even heard of that school and nobody has ever been accepted to med school from there; it's a fact.
The gunner: Give up.. You don't have a chance in hell of keeping up with me in medical school. In fact, nobody does.
Winston Churchill: Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
The rest of us: What that guy said.

There you have it.. Believe who you want.

letmein!please? said:
Really? Have you heard to CSUN ..."Sea Sun"? Its the same school. If not, im surprised. I go to SC and live in Sherman Oaks, and I know quite a few people who go there. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to take O Chem at CSUN this summer, sure beats $2,000/unit at my school :rolleyes:

I love USC!!!! My whole family went there for school except for me. And I grew up going to trojan footbal and basketball games (Big game this weekend by the way. Are you going to the pep rally)...but that tuition is wayyyyyyyyy to expensive. They are not offering anything groundbreaking that any other private school is not offering. I hate to say this but it is really living up to its nickname: University of Spoiled Children (of course not everyone there is spoiled, but that school must be trying to head the elitist movement).

They are very legacy driven though!!! :D So I'll be applying there for med school.

Go trojans!!!

S-O-U-T-HERN C-A-L-I-FORNIA
SOUTHERN CALIFOORRRRRRRRRRNIA!!!