I shouldn't be this worried, but I am. Neurosis is real.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuco's revenge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DONT QUOTE THIS POST! I plan on removing it later. Thanks!

I have three interview invitations ranging from mid december to january. Considering that I applied to 45+ MD schools with my secondaries submitted from mid-July to early-September, having 3 interviews this late in the cycle isnt that good compared to most people on SDN. I got rejected from 7 or 8 schools so far, interviews at 3, and still waiting on around 35 schools.

I am worried primarily because (1) I am interviewing late in the season and my chances are lower than for earlier interviewees, (2) three interviews from 48ish secondaries is just a really poor yield, and perhaps indicates that I'm just a weak candidate in general and I will get rejected from these schools as well, (3) Some people with earlier/more interviews and better social skills than me have gotten rejected from all the schools they interviewed at, which leaves me hopeless about my situation

If we're being mathematical/nerdy, the post-interview acceptance rates at the schools I'm interviewing at hover at 50% according to US News, but I'd bet its lower for me because I'm interviewing this late.

I used to have a good sense of humor, sleep well, and eat well. And I havent done any of those things for a few weeks now from the stress of this app cycle and I'm a shadow of what I was. I just want to get ONE acceptance so I can breathe again and stop getting anxiety attacks. Am I crazy to worry in my situation?

And how can a bit of a socially awkward guy make an absolutely incredible impression on interview day and get that acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a bit socially awkward. My first interview I got rejected. Second interview waitlisted. Third accepted. I really do believe I was more confident during my third interview and I chalk up my acceptance to my interview performance because of the close average stats & mission of all three schools.

Practice until you feel comfortable. Don't overkill it, I think that's what went wrong for my second interview. I practiced so much that I got in my own head and it just made me more nervous.

Three II is great! Just remember you only need one acceptance! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You need an outlet. Do you have any relaxing hobbies that can clear your head? Every try hiking in the woods or laying out in a field on a blanket? Hang in there buddy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OP you have three interviews. There are probably thousands of applicants with no interviews . Be thankful, stop feeling sorry for yourself and do the best you can at the interviews.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations on your interview!

If you don't have much interview experience, I highly recommend watching yourself answer a couple of interview questions on video. My school gives us free access to VIPS, and this was extremely helpful for me. Between my first and last videos, I looked like a completely different person. There are a lot of reasons people get rejected after an interview. Good social skills don't always translate to good interview skills. I am very sociable, but after watching my first mock interview, it was as though I had never spoken to another human being before. Good news: Interviewing is a skill, you can learn. Don't over-practice, but you should have the basics covered. (Think about answers to important questions, practice making eye contact, and SMILE.)

I was very nervous for my first interview, but I tried to think of it as MY OPPORTUNITY. This is your chance to bring it home. Be excited, you have some power now. Just imagine how stressed you would be without these interviews. And most importantly, be confident in yourself. And if you don't feel confident, fake it 'til you make it.

Good luck!! :)

Do some mock interviews with an advisor or friend, but don't stress too much. After the first one, I think they get better. Don't worry too much. I know quite a few people who interviewed in February/March, and were still straight up accepted to those schools (not waitlisted or anything).

Honestly, I think that a lot of people who get early interviews get a lot of interviews early...and they can't hold acceptances to everywhere they get accepted, and the probably won't. I know it's hard to just relax, but really try to. The best: you get accepted. The worst: you try again in May after improving your application. It's not the end of the world. Try to keep a positive outlook.

You have "low yield" because you applied to too many schools. You can't write nearly 50 secondaries well. You've got three interviews, and that's plenty to get an acceptance! So redirect all of this nervous energy into prepping like the other SDNers have suggested and snag a yes!

You are aware that most people get only a single accept or II? Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Secondaries tend to be a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically optimistic.

Reactions: 5 users
Im sorry to hear you only have 3 interviews

Its def a uphill battle if you applied nearly 50 and only have 3

It is still midseason but I would take the initiative and start contacting schools and ensuring they are aware of your interest

1) Interviewing in December isn't really that late. They start in September and go through March.
2) A well crafted list of 15-25 is probably as likely to get you to med school as a list of >30. At that number, you're likely applying to schools with very low odds (due to yield, mission, stats, etc) and possibly with lower quality secondaries (to accommodate so many).
3) SDN isn't the norm.
4) Perhaps you should try to start doing things you miss (eating well, exercising to improve sleep, finding fun activities). In all likelihood, getting one acceptance won't make everything flip back the way it was without effort. Waiting to get the acceptance before healthily coping with the stress isn't the only way to go, and necessitates things happen that you can't really control. I'd focus more on what you can control.

All that said, you have 3 II's more than many others, so... try to find solace in that and just do the best you can with it.

2) A well crafted list of 15-25 is probably as likely to get you to med school as a list of >30. At that number, you're likely applying to schools with very low odds (due to yield, mission, stats, etc) and possibly with lower quality secondaries (to accommodate so many).

This.

Your poor fingers, Tuco. 45 is so many

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally feel you...I similarly (had) 3 interviews and I didn't apply to as many schools but very close. I take some solace in that all the CA ones for me are a reach, so perhaps my realistic school list is fewer. Definitely have a handful of rejections/holds, but the majority silence. I am anxious and worried about getting in almost every day, wondering when or if I will get another interview and another shot at my dream. I hope you can find solace in that there is someone else out there in the same boat.

I think the neurosis is understandable :)

but truthfully, I think a lot of that stems from your fear of failure. what if you don't get in this cycle? would you give up? would you try again? is this road worth the anxiety and discomfort of self dissection enough to potentially examine your application, pick yourself back up, and apply again?

the worst that could happen is that it doesn't pan out this cycle, in which case it'd be a painful road back from "not enough" to "what can I improve." but it's a good lesson to learn, and the road in medicine is long enough that most people probably learn it at some point.

I think 3 IIs gives you a good shot, so don't give up! but I also think journeying through these doubts and self reflection may be beneficial in the long run. you seem like a pretty genuine person, and authenticity will get you far.

Not this. I had a list of like 22 schools and then added 8 more at the last second without really researching them or really knowing much about them. 4 of my IIs have come from those 8 schools. People like to act like the know exactly what each school is looking for, but at the end of the day, nobody knows. Applying to 40+ schools beats applying to a "well-crafted" list of 25 schools any day. And after some point all of the essays become the same so I doubt the quality suffered too much as you can just copy and paste.

Also, you have every right to be anxious. I think you will do just fine, and 3 interviews still shows that you have no red flags on your app. But people saying "dude you have 3 interviews calm down be patient" aren't in your shoes. But you should try to stay off SDN for a while, and do something you enjoy like others have said. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!

Not this. I had a list of like 22 schools and then added 8 more at the last second without really researching them or really knowing much about them. 4 of my IIs have come from those 8 schools. People like to act like the know exactly what each school is looking for, but at the end of the day, nobody knows. Applying to 40+ schools beats applying to a "well-crafted" list of 25 schools any day. And after some point all of the essays become the same so I doubt the quality suffered too much as you can just copy and paste.

Also, you have every right to be anxious. I think you will do just fine, and 3 interviews still shows that you have no red flags on your app. But people saying "dude you have 3 interviews calm down be patient" aren't in your shoes. But you should try to stay off SDN for a while, and do something you enjoy like others have said. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!

You have a high LizzyM. Not everyone has that advantage when applying so we have to apply smartly. It's just good practice to research schools, but I get what you mean too.

You have a high LizzyM. Not everyone has that advantage when applying so we have to apply smartly. It's just good practice to research schools, but I get what you mean too.

Ya I definitely didn't mean to come across as saying that 40+ schools is feasible for everyone, and also there are financial constraints. All I meant was that as long as the schools aren't crazy reaches, applying to more schools that take students with similar stats as you, even if you don't feel you fit their "mission," is always better.

45*secondaries...wtf
i could only complete 14 or so and then needed a 1-22 week break before i could get through the rest

are you sure your essays/writing were high quality?

Hey man. First, congrats on your 3 II! I'm sure you've worked hard to even just get those interviews so you've got to give yourself some credit for those! And I'm sure it's somewhat discouraging that you have "later-than-SDN-standard" interviews but I've met so many current student at different med schools who didn't interview at their schools until January or February so it may not be as grim as you might think. I guess at this point you just gotta focus on things that you can control, like nailing your interview. Best of luck!

PLEASE DONT QUOTE THIS POST! I plan on removing it later. Thanks!

I have three interview invitations ranging from mid december to january. Considering that I applied to 45+ MD schools with my secondaries submitted from mid-July to early-September, having 3 interviews this late in the cycle isnt that good compared to most people on SDN. I got rejected from 7 or 8 schools so far, interviews at 3, and still waiting on around 35 schools.

I am worried primarily because (1) I am interviewing late in the season and my chances are lower than for earlier interviewees, (2) three interviews from 48ish secondaries is just a really poor yield, and perhaps indicates that I'm just a weak candidate in general and I will get rejected from these schools as well, (3) Some people with earlier/more interviews and better social skills than me have gotten rejected from all the schools they interviewed at, which leaves me hopeless about my situation

If we're being mathematical/nerdy, the post-interview acceptance rates at the schools I'm interviewing at hover at 50% according to US News, but I'd bet its lower for me because I'm interviewing this late.

I used to have a good sense of humor, sleep well, and eat well. And I havent done any of those things for a few weeks now from the stress of this app cycle and I'm a shadow of what I was. I just want to get ONE acceptance so I can breathe again and stop getting anxiety attacks. Am I crazy to worry in my situation?

And how can a bit of a socially awkward guy make an absolutely incredible impression on interview day and get that acceptance?

You want everyone's help, but you don't want other people to be able to benefit from it?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/confidential-consult.268/

All actions have consequences

The concept that posting something on a public forum anonymously and requesting not to quote it is an unrealistic expectation Frankly, posting on a public forum and having the ability to delete in itself is shows little integrity. A poster should think about what they are posting prior to doing so and be careful in doing so.
I agree there's no expectation that people ought to honor your request, but I think it's just a nice thing to do.

Perhaps, but I barely tolerate the idea of posting anonymously anyplace. And yes, anyone can find out exactly who I am from my screen name and/or link
Sure but just because that is the case for you doesn't mean that the other members are obligated to follow suit.

From @Lee on the sticky:

"Think of SDN membership as an experience bank that you can tap into as you go through your journey. Get the advice you need now and in a few years you’ll be paying it back by providing advice to those who follow in your footsteps.

Anonymity and Honesty
The forums are anonymous so you can feel comfortable being honest. Sharing personal issues, grades, and test scores naturally creates a lot of anxiety – anonymity provides our members both the ability to ask personal questions and share openly and without social pressures.?" (Emphasis Mine)

upload_2016-11-10_17-34-11.png

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/want-to-ask-a-question-anonymously.421278/

If you ask on a public forum for help but don't want others to benefit from it, that's your decision to make. That being said, if I want to quote, that's my decision to make.

I agree there's no expectation that people ought to honor your request, but I think it's just a nice thing to do.

Nice like preventing others from getting the answer to this question?

Eat some booty.

Another well written post, 10/10.

Sure but just because that is the case for you doesn't mean that the other members are obligated to follow suit.

From @Lee on the sticky:

"Think of SDN membership as an experience bank that you can tap into as you go through your journey. Get the advice you need now and in a few years you’ll be paying it back by providing advice to those who follow in your footsteps.

Anonymity and Honesty
The forums are anonymous so you can feel comfortable being honest
. Sharing personal issues, grades, and test scores naturally creates a lot of anxiety – anonymity provides our members both the ability to ask personal questions and share openly and without social pressures.?" (Emphasis Mine)

Strong work except:

upload_2016-11-10_17-38-0.png

Reading comprehension must not be your strength. Users choose a SDN screen-name which is the anonymous part.

Strong work except:

View attachment 210715

Reading comprehension must not be your strength. Users choose a SDN screen-name which is the anonymous part.
See:

I'm not exactly sure why you're antagonizing so much. I think we're arguing very similar points.

You want everyone's help, but you don't want other people to be able to benefit from it?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/confidential-consult.268/
He asked you not to quote.

The concept that posting something on a public forum anonymously and requesting not to quote it is an unrealistic expectation Frankly, posting on a public forum and having the ability to delete in itself is shows little integrity. A poster should think about what they are posting prior to doing so and be careful in doing so.

Although i understand the usefulness to others of such information that's publicly available (perhaps due to similar situations), i think SDNers should respect OP's clearly outlined DO NOT QUOTE header by not quoting their post. Why? Because privacy matters and OP doesn't want to be identified by their posts.

Admittedly, there are alternatives, such as Confidential Consult Forum and private messaging. However, the former is inactive and rarely used, while the latter may be more restricted (i.e. being able to send up to only 5 recipients as a regular member, maybe more as a donor).

Personally, just PMing the adcoms/faculty the scenario is the ideal option. But let's just respect OP's desires by not quoting their posts to prove a point about anonymity in public forums.

Try to not get so sensitive over something you started with me.
I was just reminding you in case you hadn't seen it. You didn't want to honor his request; not a big deal.

I was just reminding you in case you hadn't seen it. You didn't want to honor his request; not a big deal.

How could I possibly miss it when I said "You want everyone's help, but you don't want other people to be able to benefit from it?"

Although i understand the usefulness to others of such information that's publicly available (perhaps due to similar situations), i think SDNers should respect OP's clearly outlined DO NOT QUOTE header by not quoting their post. Why? Because privacy matters and OP doesn't want to be identified by their posts.

Admittedly, there are alternatives, such as Confidential Consult Forum and private messaging. However, the former is inactive and rarely used, while the latter may be more restricted (i.e. being able to send up to only 5 recipients as a regular member, maybe more as a donor).

Personally, just PMing the adcoms/faculty the scenario is the ideal option. But let's just respect OP's desires by not quoting their posts to prove a point about anonymity in public forums.

We can simply agree to disagree. To ask for help/advice on a public forum and not let anyone else benefit is not how a public forum works. He wants anonymity? Then he can find a therapist and protect himself behind HIPAA.

Yes, the confidential consult is rarely used, but nonetheless, it is still where this belongs if total anonymity is desired.

I unliked it so I can hit like again.

This is a great MMI practice scenario. So lets practice, so on one side, we have someone (me) giving honest identifying information to a forum, and asking the community to honor a simple request to not quote a post. Then on one hand, we have a poster blatantly violating that request and citing an unheard-of, dark corner of SDN as the rightful place for the OPs post. OP's friend, freak7, intervenes and fiercely battles the just-a-DO and his allies, yet it ends in stalemate.

So what is OP gonna do in this situation?

Firstly, I'm going to thank everyone for their kindness and input! I especially want to thank JustaDO! May you forever remain the righteous, friendly, and mesmerizing individual you are. God bless you JustaDO. God bless you. I will be sure to ask a question in that forum you suggested, and log back in after 6 years to check if it says "2 views".

Secondly, I'm going to release a statement:

Any similarity between the identifying characteristics of "tuco's revenge" on this thread and that of any medical school applicant(s) are the result of coincidence. The account, "tuco's revenge"' is possibly operated by either a 13 year old child with a wild imagination who enjoys sharing his/her fictitious writings on SDN, or by a 77 year old bitter old man who loves to troll and just discovered the interwebs.

Reactions: 3 users
:rofl:
Ah Tuco, you're always a pleasure to see on SDN

Three II sounds like a very promising application cycle.

This is a great MMI practice scenario. So lets practice, so on one side, we have someone (me) giving honest identifying information to a forum, and asking the community to honor a simple request to not quote a post. Then on one hand, we have a poster blatantly violating that request and citing an unheard-of, dark corner of SDN as the rightful place for the OPs post.

Well its good lesson to learn early on: we don't always get what we want in life.

This IS a good MMI scenario: what do you call someone who posts information they don't want out in a forum viewed by thousands of people daily?

Ahh, of course! They say great minds think alike!

Such bold talk from a grown man posting this non-sense:

I used to have a good sense of humor, sleep well, and eat well. And I havent done any of those things for a few weeks now from the stress of this app cycle and I'm a shadow of what I was. I just want to get ONE acceptance so I can breathe again and stop getting anxiety attacks.

Grow up, if you wanted something to be private get a diary.

If you ask on a public forum for help but don't want others to benefit from it, that's your decision to make. That being said, if I want to quote, that's my decision to make.

This post was pretty specific to his situation, I'm not sure anyone else is going to get much use from it. He was just looking for reassurance. It's not like he was asking for MMI tips and then wanted to delete the thread so nobody else could benefit from it. I think you just saw the "do not quote" and felt like being a d*ck.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone.

Let's all take a step back.

1. Please don't derail threads. Stay on topic as much as possible.

2. SDN does not strictly enforce no-quote requests. HOWEVER, it is common courtesy to not quote a thread when requested. Quoting only for the sake of making a point that no-quote requests are somehow antithetical to public forums is non-contributory, off topic, and for those reasons, may be subject to further moderator action.

3. There is a balance between maintaining as much privacy and confidentiality as possible, particularly on a professional forum like SDN, and helping others who may read posts in the future. The internet as a whole is not conducive to privacy and even though something posted on SDN may be deleted or edited, a cache of it may remain elsewhere on the internet, so it's always prudent to be cautious when posting sensitive information. However, it also is prudent to respect privacy concerns when asked to and observe basic human decency.

This is a professional forum. You are all current or future professionals. Act like it.

Reactions: 9 users
This post was pretty specific to his situation, I'm not sure anyone else is going to get much use from it. He was just looking for reassurance. It's not like he was asking for MMI tips and then wanted to delete the thread so nobody else could benefit from it. I think you just saw the "do not quote" and felt like being a d*ck.

Yes, what a unique situation to have applied to numerous medical schools to only receive 3 interview invitations and needs reassurance. We have never seen that before on SDN before.

Well its good lesson to learn early on: we don't always get what we want in life.

This IS a good MMI scenario: what do you call someone who posts information they don't want out in a forum viewed by thousands of people daily?

I didn't know there was a word to describe "someone who posts information they don't want out in a forum viewed by thousands of people daily", but I do know of some words in the English language to call someone who purposely violates a simple request

Yes, what a unique situation to have applied to numerous medical schools to only receive 3 interview invitations and needs reassurance. We have never seen that before on SDN before.

I'll take WedgeDawg's advice and leave this thread now because I have nothing else to add. I wish you all the best with any patient interactions you may have in the future.

(Back on topic)

I think you'll be just fine Tuco. December isn't late for interviews. You're interviewing for a spot, not the waitlist; just be you (except maybe leave the grill and blue meth at home) and you'll be fine.

I feel you on being anxious without an acceptance in hand. I've been eating like **** and am just on-edge all the time. This will pass.