I sincerely need help in ranking these IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmatter

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondered what you all think of ranking these programs, for me and another friend of mine who had similar schools. I know it all depends where you're happiest but in terms of reputation/prestige:

1. UC Davis
2. Brown
3. Case
4. U of Iowa
5. U of Rochester
6. Boston U
7. U of Pitt
8. Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

darkmatter said:
Hey just wondered what you all think of ranking these programs, for me and another friend of mine who had similar schools. I know it all depends where you're happiest but in terms of reputation/prestige:

1. UC Davis
2. Brown
3. Case
4. U of Iowa
5. U of Rochester
6. Boston U
7. U of Pitt
8. Dartmouth

What are you asking? If it's simply prestige, you know the answer as well as anyone. If you are giving "prestige" some weight, it probably means either you are not sure what kind of program you want or you don't know enough about the details of these programs. (because if you know exactly what's improtant to you and how these programs measure up, you won't/shouldn't care about prestige) If it's the latter, then people might be able to help you out. But you need to name the details you would like to know.
Find out as much as you can and think about what you want. Then just go with your gut feeling man! Good luck!

darkmatter said:

1. UC Davis
2. Brown
3. Case
4. U of Iowa
5. U of Rochester
6. Boston U
7. U of Pitt
8. Dartmouth

U pitt or Boston U - U pitt might have a slightly stronger training program but some people dont like the large amount of FMGs; Boston U is in boston and gets great fellowships as well
Case Western
Brown
UC davis
Dartmouth
U rochester
U iowa

...but it really depends on what you are looking for - all very different programs in personality, but if you are looking for straight up fellowships, the above should be relatively accurate

Members don't see this ad :)
pintsized said:
U pitt or Boston U - U pitt might have a slightly stronger training program but some people dont like the large amount of FMGs; Boston U is in boston and gets great fellowships as well
Case Western
Brown
UC davis
Dartmouth
U rochester
U iowa

...but it really depends on what you are looking for - all very different programs in personality, but if you are looking for straight up fellowships, the above should be relatively accurate

I'm going to disagree a bit here, but it's all opinion really .... and I bring a viewpoint influenced by my mentors at Baylor

1) Case
2) U Pitt
3) BU (major problem here is that any non-Harvard program is so overshadowed in Boston)
4) U Rochester
5) Brown
6) Dartmouth
7) U of Iowa
8) UC Davis (but admittedly I know next to nothing about Cali schools)

But ... all good programs. I think you would get great training at any of these

Thanks for the replies.
Well it's realy down to Boston U, Case and U Pitt. I'm still deciding between the 3, either one could go either way. I feel that
Boston U has slightly better fellowship placement for cards or gi and at good places too however living is expensive and workload is tough. And I agree about being overshadowed probably by BWH and MGH. Also the program is not ranked at US News, but overall fellowship placement and the reputation of location (Boston) are biggest factors.
Case is great, computerized charting, decent fellowship placement although they seem to be restricted to the midwest. So biggest factors here is having a decent place to live, fellowship placement is just slightly less impressive than Boston U's and computerized charting.
U of Pitt is nicely ranked... med school, hospital and internal med program, I have no problems with FMGs because the onesthey get are actually part of the international scholars program, not just some random FMG applying, training program is very strong with dedicated ward attendings... but despite all of this, the fellowship placement for competitive specialties isn't as impressive, and it still boggles me. So the only big factor here aside from a cheaper location is just its "official US News reputation" and general medicine program.

What do you guys think? I am asking this because the best opinions are from colleagues, program directors, fellow interviewees. As it stands BU>Case>Pitt but also I have some others who feel Case>BU>Pitt. As for Pitt, it's more up and coming since they are slowly getting better and better, perhaps its only fellowship placement thats lagging behind, however it might not be beneficial for me rather it might be for future applicants. So sometimes I could waver in placing U Pitt above the two.

I appreciate your input.