I STILL Don't Know How To Feel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2PacClone23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those following my epic thread from a few months ago, I decided to make a new one so it wouldn't get all confusing. And yes, the title of the thread is about on the Jennifer Love Hewitt movies.

Anyway,

So I got waitlisted and both schools that I interviewed.

I don't how to feel because while I could get accepted, the thought of NOT being accepted kills me, and here's why:

If I were to apply this June 2013, I would have the same exact statistics. Maybe more EC's but that's it. Would it be pointless? I sure as hell think so.

But what if I apply June 2014 and take a year of classes at CC or a university and just destroy them and get a higher science GPA? That could help tremendously but it would mean I would be applying for the class of 2019!!!

It would mean that I'd have to sit on my ass for 2 years while everyone else goes to dental school. I really really really really want this.

Can anyone guide me?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't want to give you false hope, but just wait it out a little more. There will be some movement in the coming months.

How many credits do you currently have? If you take classes at a CC, you'd have to have quite a bit of credits to raise your GPA and make it worth while, so I really don't know if taking classes is the best idea. You have been trying at this for quite a few years now, and it might be time to change things up a bit.

I think you need to honestly and realistically contemplate your situation, and figure out what you can do to make your application stand out. What I'm saying is I think you should take a look at your application and change things up a bit. I've always been told, "if what you're doing isn't working, then try approaching things from different angles and keep trying until you succeed." Maybe you need to spend time traveling for a bit, or trying out a few different careers until you figure out you want to come back to the dental field. I know it may seem like you have tried for so many years and spent wayyyy too much time already, but you really do have all the time you need to keep trying to get into school.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is don't get in your own head and try to predict the future. Wait until you hear back from those schools, and if get in, then awesome, and if you don't, then it's time to start from square one and diversify your application even more than the year before. Good luck man, I have faith in you and I think you can get into school if you have the drive and keep working hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I wouldn't wait another 2+ years. If you haven't yet, send in a LOI. Apply early. Work on your interview/people skills. Work and save up money.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait another 2+ years. If you haven't yet, send in a LOI. Apply early. Work on your interview/people skills. Work and save up money.

I've sent my LOI.

I shall wait if there's movement in the waitlist, and as for the # of credits I have, I shall calculate that and come back to you.

Dude I hope you were doing something good with all that time from June 2012 to today. Like classes, working or something.

If not, you could try cramming as much volunteering, shadowing and any other EC for the next 3 months until apps open. I don't believe there is much else you can do now for this coming June 2013 cycle. Signing up for classes (post-bac) at a university may be your best bet for June 2014 apps. Also make sure your DAT scores haven't expired.

For me I'm applying this June and this is my last semester. This situation you have is the exact reason I plan on still signing myself up for more classes for summer and fall semester. If I get rejected I'll still be improving myself with more 4.0s and will apply again with a better gpa next time. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

You should feel bad. You failed miserably at attaining your goal. I imagine the lord tupac is looking up at you from purgatory and just shaking his head.

Don't reapply with the same stats. Take your DAT and get straight 25's or something because a few classes won't bring up your gpa a ton.

But in all honesty, you're going to get off the waitlist. It might be in June/July but you'll still get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't reapply with the same stats. Take your DAT and get straight 25's or something because a few classes won't bring up your gpa a ton.

But in all honesty, you're going to get off the waitlist. It might be in June/July but you'll still get in.

I like your optimism.

I have a graduate GPA of about 3.3.

I hope it works out.

2Pac is alive!

Yea wait list is a good place to be. I interviewed at 2 schools and haven't heard anything yet. I know my DAT was weak though and that paired with a so-so interview didn't pan out well. Looking like ill be retaking the DAT in June or July and reapplying this cycle

bro, at least you got waitlisted.
Are there any schools that you're still waiting for an interview? Have you kept in contact with the schools? Sometimes keeping in contact with them and showing that you're really interested will land you an interview. It's really late at this point, but there's still a glimmer of hope if the school is still sending out interviews. Continue fighting as hard as you can to get in, and if that doesn't work out, then reapply.

Apply to a Biomedical Science Masters program and retake the DAT and apply in 2014, if you don't get in, that's what I did with similar stats and now I'm in. Your the Don Killuminati never give up son!

Where did you interview at 2pacclone? (Curious which schools were interviewing around this time).

Apply to a Biomedical Science Masters program and retake the DAT and apply in 2014, if you don't get in, that's what I did with similar stats and now I'm in. Your the Don Killuminati never give up son!

I already did a graduate post-bacc program. It has its own GPA and everything. Master's level courses and I got around a 3.3

Why would I retake the DAT? I already have a 23AA. My problem is my science GPA, pure and simple.

try applying for a certificate program so you can take more masters courses. that gpa is whats killing your app.

I already did a graduate post-bacc program. It has its own GPA and everything. Master's level courses and I got around a 3.3

Why would I retake the DAT? I already have a 23AA. My problem is my science GPA, pure and simple.

Like I alluded to above, DAT scores have a 2 year expiration date. If you apply in June 2014 your 23 will no longer be valid for use.

Maybe if you did another masters program and got a 4.0 instead of a 3.3 more schools would be interested.

Like I alluded to above, DAT scores have a 2 year expiration date. If you apply in June 2014 your 23 will no longer be valid for use.

Its actually 3 years

Hey now, c/o 2019 isn't that far off... (I'd be in that class or 2020.)

Why delay for two years? Maybe applying early and broadly is all you need. Obviously, you have a shot, you got interviews. When did you apply this cycle, if I may ask?

What ECs and experience do you have? The GPA doesn't do you favors, but the DAT should count for something.

LLU, UCSF, check the AADAS guide book. They are quiet plenty.

Most are 3 years but some schools only want DAT scores from 2 years ago.
For BU and Tufts, DAT scores will only be good for two cycles (depending on when you took the DAT)

Most are 3 years but some schools only want DAT scores from 2 years ago.
For BU and Tufts, DAT scores will only be good for two cycles (depending on when you took the DAT)

I took mine September 2011 so my last cycle eligible would be June 2014.

So the general consensus is that I SHOULDN'T re-apply this June (if nothing happens from the waitlist)?

Absolutely reapply and make sure your taking a full load of courses now, for the summer and the following semester in case! Use DAT again it's great...network with lots of schools now

you should feel defeated

3.3 masters gpa is going to haunt you 4eva

Why wouldn't you reapply.

Because my stats are identical to right now...what would change? Only thing I have is taking summer courses + fall + academic update in November.

Is it really that worth it?

And my 3.3 master's GPA isn't bad....geez. It's my science GPA from undergraduate that's killing me. It's at like 2.9

your masters gpa is pretty bad compared to other students who did masters program

should def. reapply (in case you don't hear back this cycle)!
you never know what's going to happen.

I reapplied w similar stats except for slightly higher DAT scores and got a couple of interviews and accepted to u syd dmd in which I am now.

I was waitlisted for the previous cycle and retook dat. my gpa stays the same but had a couple more interviews and accepted to one of them so far.

on top of all, i believe you will get in for this cycle!! never give up on your hopes!

hey 2pac.. you will get in..just wait for another 4~6weeks
i heard that 4/1 is the day when people has to give up their spots when hold ing more than one.

I have said it before and i will say it again... Podiatry.

Good luck brotha!

should def. reapply (in case you don't hear back this cycle)!
you never know what's going to happen.

I reapplied w similar stats except for slightly higher DAT scores and got a couple of interviews and accepted to u syd dmd in which I am now.

I was waitlisted for the previous cycle and retook dat. my gpa stays the same but had a couple more interviews and accepted to one of them so far.

on top of all, i believe you will get in for this cycle!! never give up on your hopes!

Yeah but your DAT was different...my EVERYTHING is the same. Just a few more hours of community service and tutoring.

Thanks to those with the encouraging words; and buzz off to those who keep pushing me away from my dreams.

youre the only person who pushed yourself away from your dream

Because my stats are identical to right now...what would change? Only thing I have is taking summer courses + fall + academic update in November.

And my 3.3 master's GPA isn't bad....geez. It's my science GPA from undergraduate that's killing me. It's at like 2.9

Ouch! Well, the first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one.

Is there any way that you could bring that puppy up somehow? I mean the Master's GPA doesn't make the situation any better, either. At least you have an upward trend? ^^;

You really have two options here: take a heap of UG sciences and ace them, or make your Master's classes your bitch.

Good luck to you, OP.

Ouch! Well, the first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one.

Is there any way that you could bring that puppy up somehow? I mean the Master's GPA doesn't make the situation any better, either. At least you have an upward trend? ^^;

You really have two options here: take a heap of UG sciences and ace them, or make your Master's classes your bitch.

Good luck to you, OP.

The graduate courses are already done.

My plan was to take UG courses like you said and do well and just raise science to above 3.0

Your masters is only .4 points higher than your undergrad, which was pretty low.

Since you keep asking, I think you should feel regret. Your 23AA tells me that you are probably a pretty bright kid when you want to be, but you haven't put in the dedication throughout your coursework, which is likely apparent to dental school admission committees.

Did you end up not getting the Masters degree? That might raise some concerns with adcoms.

Hey 2pac how's it going? Btw I grew up listening to 2pac :') brings back good memories.

I might hesitate taking UG coursework, I understand that that's where your app needs the most improvement (believe me, it's my weakness too) however it seems like you might be going backwards from grad level to UG level. D-schools seemingly would assume you can handle UG coursework having already completed a master's.

That being said, it seems like people who do a master's level program understand that it's their way of overshadowing a poor UG performance. D-schools look for strong performance in a master's program to show that while the student didn't have things figured out in UG, they certainly had their head on straight for the master's (shows maturity, dedication, work ethic, upward trend) all things d-schools look for. I'm not sure how convincing a 3.3 is in showing those things, but it's not terrible. I have a feeling a higher grad gpa would have secured more interviews/acceptances, but that is in the past and there's nothing to be done about it.

If you don't get in: I would say call the d-schools you interviewed at and ask what you could do to land an acceptance, they obv like you because you landed interviews. Follow their advice and reapply early and broadly this coming cycle.

Keep in mind there will be a LOT of movement after April 1st (no April Fool's Day joke here) which is when students have to give up their other seats. Trust me, many ppl are holding seats at multiple schools. You will get a call. It wouldn't hurt to follow up with a couple of phone calls between now and then to show you're interested. I saw you already wrote your LOI which is a smart thing.

Keep your head up and keep us posted- good luck!

The graduate courses are already done.

My plan was to take UG courses like you said and do well and just raise science to above 3.0

Even after reading your past posts..I still don't understand why you're keeping your interviewed schools a huge secret. Not like you got accepted to either of them :confused:

Anyways, it seems like you already have the idea of what you need to do to make your dream come true one day. JUST DO IT and stop asking people how you should FEEL after being waitlisted multiple times, especially with your circumstances and ongoing academic performance. Their answers are not going to be very positive for you friend. Good luck.

Hey 2pac how's it going? Btw I grew up listening to 2pac :') brings back good memories.

I might hesitate taking UG coursework, I understand that that's where your app needs the most improvement (believe me, it's my weakness too) however it seems like you might be going backwards from grad level to UG level. D-schools seemingly would assume you can handle UG coursework having already completed a master's.

That being said, it seems like people who do a master's level program understand that it's their way of overshadowing a poor UG performance. D-schools look for strong performance in a master's program to show that while the student didn't have things figured out in UG, they certainly had their head on straight for the master's (shows maturity, dedication, work ethic, upward trend) all things d-schools look for. I'm not sure how convincing a 3.3 is in showing those things, but it's not terrible. I have a feeling a higher grad gpa would have secured more interviews/acceptances, but that is in the past and there's nothing to be done about it.

If you don't get in: I would say call the d-schools you interviewed at and ask what you could do to land an acceptance, they obv like you because you landed interviews. Follow their advice and reapply early and broadly this coming cycle.

Keep in mind there will be a LOT of movement after April 1st (no April Fool's Day joke here) which is when students have to give up their other seats. Trust me, many ppl are holding seats at multiple schools. You will get a call. It wouldn't hurt to follow up with a couple of phone calls between now and then to show you're interested. I saw you already wrote your LOI which is a smart thing.

Keep your head up and keep us posted- good luck!

Yeah thanks. To be honest, my application was "complete" July 27th ish which was the 5th batch last time around.

I actually don't think that played into it, helped or hurt, because both my interviews were AFTER December 1st so it's not like I had the luxury of interviewing early.

But yeah if I were to do it again, it would be 1st batch for sure.

Look into some Biomedical Science programs, I know some offer admittance into their dental school if you attain a certain GPA. Your master's GPA is low, if your going to retake classes, do another masters and show you can succeed at a higher level, I don't think getting an A in freshman bio is going to do that. If you work hard you can get a 4.0, I think thats the only thing holding you back.

Okay I'm glad someone other than me said it (I hesitated before), it might take another masters to do the trick, and getting a 4.0 at that. Don't shoot the messenger. Again best thing is call the schools. It's obvious you are intelligent b/c your DAT scores are stellar. :thumbup: