1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I suck at math...post your best QR tips/shortcuts...

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by yzf600, Jul 25, 2006.

1. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

I totally suck at math....yes, all of it (well I can add/subtract :thumbup: )

Everyone post your best tips and tricks to getting through the QR problems.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 714guy

714guy counting down till 5/2012
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Harsh but the only tip is PRACTICE, No easy out unless you're already good at it. Math is a learn by doing subject, not too much of a memorizing subject like Bio.

4. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I didn't study much for math, but I did make a 30 so here are my tips.

1. In solve for x problems, always put your answer back into the original equation to find out if it is correct. If you can't figure out how to come up with an answer, try working backwards from one of the answer choices to figure it out.

2. Know all formulas for area, perimeter, and volume of various structures such as triangles, rectangles, cylinders, etc. The Kaplan Blue Book does a good job of covering this.

3. Know your right triangles such as 3,4,5 or 5, 12, 13, equilateral, or 30/60/90 triangles. If something on the test looks like it might be a right triangle, it probably is. One question I had on the test was like a rectangle with what looked like a right triangle missing from it and it wanted to know the area. The answer was the area of the rectangle - the area of the triangle. I was able to determine the base and height of the triangle because I could tell that it was a 3/4/5 triangle.

4. Learn how to write equations to solve for problems. For example, in one problem it said Guy A owed Guy B $540.00. Guy A paid him back over three months, adding $10 in the 2nd month and $10 more in the 3rd. What was the payment in the 3rd month?
    if x = first payment, then: (x) + (x + 10) + (x + 20) = 540
    3x + 30 = 540
    x = 170 = first month payment
    x + 20 = 190 = third month payment

4. Remember that solving for x doesn't always give you the answer. Before you select an answer, make sure that you are giving them the answer that they are asking for. In the example above if I wasn't paying attention I might have answered $170 and got it wrong.

5. Know your sin, cos, tan, tan-1, etc. Don't just try to memorize certain values for those functions... figure out how to estimate them on your own. One of the questions I got had various values of sin from 0 to 360 and you had to figure out which one had the highest value. It is very easy to estimate if you quickly make a grid and draw lines at the various angles. The Kaplan blue book teaches you how to do this if you don't know already.

6. Know how to solve quadratic equations. I didn't see any hard ones where you have to use that formula, but there was at least one question with two equations and it asked where they intersected. I put the two equations equal to eachother and then solved for x which ended up having two possible answers.

7. Remain calm. Being hyper will not help you think any better. I didn't see anything that I would classify as a "trick question" on the test so I think you'll do fine as long as you know the Kaplan Blue Book math section and can get through the problems fast enough.

Ash2021 likes this.
  5. yzf600

yzf600 Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks a bunch aggie.....thats the stuff I was lookin for.

I've been using the kaplan bluebook for QR, and it just seems like there is so much to memorize.

Was this your only resource for QR, or did you use any other materials?

6. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The only thing I did to prepare for the math was to go through the Kaplan Math section once and take the blue book math test. I did make a 30 on that one also. I'm very good at math which had a lot to do with my score, but I don't remember anything on the actual DAT that required more knowledge than the Kaplan book had to offer.