I think a pharmacy CEO needs to go on Undercover Boss - let's make this happen!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phramacy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout my work and rotations experience, I have repeatedly gotten the sense that the people that run the large pharmacy chains don't realize just how much their policies negatively impact patients, not to mention employee morale.

It's probably a longshot, but I think we would benefit from having a CEO go on the CBS show "Undercover Boss". My first vote would be CVS, but Walgreens or another large chain would do. No matter the store, the possible revelations that would come from putting this on television could potentially impact practice in all pharmacy chains!

If you're in, let CBS know. They also have a forum to discuss the show: http://www.cbs.com/forum/forums/byCategory/70.page

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to see a retail pharmacy CEO be on that show.

Sounds like a good idea, but good luck getting a wags/cvs CEO to willingly expose the clusterf**k that has become retail fast food pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will never happen unless corporate thinks there's a way to turn this into positive publicity for the chain in which case would defeat your reason for wanting it aired. Some CEOs may be pretty dumb, but no one will voluntarily expose their chain/store for how bad it is eg low employee morale and patient dissatisfaction or safety issues.

Even picturing the ideal scenario occurring, things exposed to be as bad as perceived, it's more likely corporate would just reprimand the one store, punish a few scapegoats, and make a few minor changes there instead of overhauling the entire pharmacy system.

Potential HIPAA violations?

Was about to say that... Filming in a pharmacy? I guess it could be done. But you'd have to black out just about any text picked up by the camera, blur/black out/not show any customers and lots of conversations would have to be beeped out.

This will never happen unless corporate thinks there's a way to turn this into positive publicity for the chain in which case would defeat your reason for wanting it aired. Some CEOs may be pretty dumb, but no one will voluntarily expose their chain/store for how bad it is eg low employee morale and patient dissatisfaction or safety issues.

Even picturing the ideal scenario occurring, things exposed to be as bad as perceived, it's more likely corporate would just reprimand the one store, punish a few scapegoats, and make a few minor changes there instead of overhauling the entire pharmacy system.

Yup...

There won't be any touching lunch break stories

I love the concept of this show. I even kinda enjoyed watching the Hooters episode. But, srsly the show is so fake. I can already tell you how the show will go:

1st visit: CEO partners up with Mary, a tech, and follows her throughout day. He fumbles and struggles to count in 5's, while Mary is shaking her head. Then she asks the CEO to go grab metformin and he can't find it in the M's section b/c the shelves are not organized alphabetically. Instead, they are organized by brand names. So then Mary says, "it's under the G's by Glucophage! Hurry the patient is getting upset that you've been looking for it for 10 minutes!" CEO comes back 5 minutes later with no metformin. Mary says, " You idiot! its under the fast mover's section" and then grabs the bottle herself.

During the course of the work day, Mary invites the CEO over for dinner at her home. During the course of the dinner, CEO learns that the Mary is a struggling single mother of 2 who is going to school full time to become a pharmacist, while trying to support her family by working 40 hours per week. CEO says to the camera that he is amazed at Mary's fortitude and persistance and that something needs to be done. At the end of the show, he gives Mary a $1 raise and a $1000 scholarship.

The CEO will also follow a pregnant pharmacist who doesn't have a chair to sit on during the day and who has had a previous miscarriage due to the stress of the job. At the end of the show, he will present the pharmacist with a gift wrapped chair and tell her she can take a maternity leave for as long as she needs, up to 2 months.

He will also follow a store manager who is a jerk to pharmacy, laughs when he sees pharmacy overwhelmed with a line of over 10 people, and ignores several intercoms calling for change or total voids. At the end of the show, he will be given a stern talking to.

I love the concept of this show. I even kinda enjoyed watching the Hooters episode. But, srsly the show is so fake. I can already tell you how the show will go:

1st visit: CEO partners up with Mary, a tech, and follows her throughout day. He fumbles and struggles to count in 5's, while Mary is shaking her head. Then she asks the CEO to go grab metformin and he can't find it in the M's section b/c the shelves are not organized alphabetically. Instead, they are organized by brand names. So then Mary says, "it's under the G's by Glucophage! Hurry the patient is getting upset that you've been looking for it for 10 minutes!" CEO comes back 5 minutes later with no metformin. Mary says, " You idiot! its under the fast mover's section" and then grabs the bottle herself.

During the course of the work day, Mary invites the CEO over for dinner at her home. During the course of the dinner, CEO learns that the Mary is a struggling single mother of 2 who is going to school full time to become a pharmacist, while trying to support her family by working 40 hours per week. CEO says to the camera that he is amazed at Mary's fortitude and persistance and that something needs to be done. At the end of the show, he gives Mary a $1 raise and a $1000 scholarship.

The CEO will also follow a pregnant pharmacist who doesn't have a chair to sit on during the day and who has had a previous miscarriage due to the stress of the job. At the end of the show, he will present the pharmacist with a gift wrapped chair and tell her she can take a maternity leave for as long as she needs, up to 2 months.

He will also follow a store manager who is a jerk to pharmacy, laughs when he sees pharmacy overwhelmed with a line of over 10 people, and ignores several intercoms calling for change or total voids. At the end of the show, he will be given a stern talking to.

Who the hell actually calls the manager for change, voids, refunds? I just enter in the manager's or PIC's numbers and passwords myself.

Who the hell actually calls the manager for change, voids, refunds? I just enter in the manager's or PIC's numbers and passwords myself.
You have to at Wags because only they have the override key. The RXM doesn't have a key.

You have to at Wags because only they have the override key. The RXM doesn't have a key.

Quick, can we merge this thread with one of the 3000 Wags vs. CVS threads? I believe this makes it 1-0, CVS. The pharmacy manager can't do a freaking refund? Seriously? What a joke.

Quick, can we merge this thread with one of the 3000 Wags vs. CVS threads? I believe this makes it 1-0, CVS. The pharmacy manager can't do a freaking refund? Seriously? What a joke.
Walgreens cash registers date from the early 90s. We are getting new ones this year, but don't know when for my market. The new ones won't use keys but will use passwords for refunds and voids.