I think I am moving to Texas, Does this seem like a good plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I only have one in state school where I live currently. I REFUSE to pay ridiculous out of state or private tuition. Besides that ultimately I know I want to end up in Texas to practice someday anyway.

So...

I am strongly considering moving to Texas this summer after I take the DAT to finish my degree and get established residency. I have already spoken with TMDSAS and they said my plan would cover all basis.

I would move to TX this June, buy a condo or house with my fiance, and finish my degree. I would then apply the following June to Texas schools. So I would have a gap year or semester (depending on how my credits transfer) but ultimately I would be saving a ton on tuition/fees and establish myself in the state which I intend to live and practice.

Seem like a good plan?

Alternatively I could stay where I am, apply a year earlier to my state school and risk not getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can establish residency, then I say go for it. But just know that Texas schools are competitive and you're not guaranteed anything. You are going with a gamble here.

But if you are a competitive applicant and you enjoy living (and intend to practice) in Texas then I say go for it. I suggest to live in Houston, the best city in Texas.

(clearly I'm biased since I'm from houston lol)

Last edited:
If it works out, great, but what is plan B if you don't get into any of the Texas schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
great idea and definitely worth the shot. Finish with great stats and you should be good to go!

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure to work hard in your remaining undergraduate year. Remember, working hard during that year could end up saving you 300k+ in the long run!

Theres like 3 schools and from what I heard its more competitive than getting in medical school. And for gods sake do NOT live/practice in houston. There's a run down out of business dental practice every other block here. And on the alternating blocks there's an open one. There's more dental practices here than anything else. -_-