i think i failed cpje...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trdsol23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the exam today and my goodness, I've never felt so horrible in my life.

Background: 8 years of retail experience in California, studied from rxprep, pharmacy charts, and weissman, 3.6gpa from out-of-state school, did 4/6 rotations in hospital setting (emergency medicine, internal medicine, pain rehab hospital, and acute care hospital)

I felt super confident going into the exam. I went through RX Prep once, pharmacy charts once, and Weissman twice. I got above 90% on the posted practice exams and knew my top 300 (counseling, monitoring, etc.)

I only had about 10-15 questions on actual drugs, 1 question on law, and everything else on hospital policies and procedures. Even on the questions about drugs, they were on dosing of obscure drugs.

Most of my questions were "choose the most effective" and all the choices sounded correct. I felt horrible coming out of the exam and never been more discouraged in my life. The exam was nothing like the practice exam. In fact, some of the questions I couldn't even find the answer to in any of my books, only to find them later in the ISMP guidelines...

Anyone had a similar experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I also took the exam today; didn't do too well. I focused on adverse effects, and not enough on common drug doses/indications. Afterwards, I made a list of the questions I remembered: so far, the list is 80 questions, and for ~25 of them, I either guessed on (not educated guesses, but shot-in-the-dark guesses) or got wrong. Trust me, you aren't alone.

I also took the exam today; didn't do too well. I focused on adverse effects, and not enough on common drug doses/indications. Afterwards, I made a list of the questions I remembered: so far, the list is 80 questions, and for ~25 of them, I either guessed on (not educated guesses, but shot-in-the-dark guesses) or got wrong. Trust me, you aren't alone.

Best of luck to both of us! Im praying for that 75. I just don't understand why I got the version of the exam that had nothing to do with drugs. I felt like I focused way too much time on drugs and not enough on developing policies and procedures for safe practice in a hospital. So unfair! Especially when I'm not even thinking about working in a hospital.

Best of luck to both of us! Im praying for that 75. I just don't understand why I got the version of the exam that had nothing to do with drugs. I felt like I focused way too much time on drugs and not enough on developing policies and procedures for safe practice in a hospital. So unfair! Especially when I'm not even thinking about working in a hospital.

Yeah, hopefully the pseudo-curve is in our favor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on your experience/background, it sounds like pretty much everybody would have probably had a hard time with that exam. I'm sure it will reflect in the criterion-referencing that the Board does to score it. Best of luck to us all.

Last edited:

Background: 8 years of retail experience in California, studied from rxprep, pharmacy charts, and weissman, 3.6gpa from out-of-state school, did 4/6 rotations in hospital setting (emergency medicine, internal medicine, pain rehab hospital, and acute care hospital)

I felt super confident going into the exam. I went through RX Prep once, pharmacy charts once, and Weissman twice. I got above 90% on the posted practice exams and knew my top 300 (counseling, monitoring, etc.)

I only had about 10-15 questions on actual drugs, 1 question on law, and everything else on hospital policies and procedures. Even on the questions about drugs, they were on dosing of obscure drugs.

Most of my questions were "choose the most effective" and all the choices sounded correct. I felt horrible coming out of the exam and never been more discouraged in my life. The exam was nothing like the practice exam. In fact, some of the questions I couldn't even find the answer to in any of my books, only to find them later in the ISMP guidelines...

I'm totally with you. 3.5gpa at UOP in CA. Totally bizarre exam with obscure hospital operations questions and lots of weird opthalamic preparations that I had to guess on, even though I studied that chapter pretty thoroughly. **** me man... in any case glad someone else admits to it being difficult. Best of luck to you

This is so disheartening! I'm taking mine on Monday, and I've been focused on drugs. Obscure hospital policy? Where would I even begin on that??? Ugh, I'm sorry it was so awful.

Does anyone know if we are currently in QA? I'm told it's announced on the boards website, but it's not there.

Does anyone know if we are currently in QA? I'm told it's announced on the boards website, but it's not there.
I don't think so. From what I can tell it looks like the Board blocked out test dates every other month since the April changes so you could take your test in April, June, and August (but not May, July, and September).

Here's something I gathered based off of SDN posters from other CPJE threads:

CPJE test date - date score was received by mail
4/6 - 6/3
4/30 - 6/3
6/1 - 7/25
6/2 - 7/23
6/2 - 7/22
6/10 - 7/25
6/30 - 7/24

Judging by the dates people received their scores, it looks like the Board is releasing an entire month's worth of scores by the end of the following month. So by the pattern, August test-takers should receive their score by late September.

I don't think so. From what I can tell it looks like the Board blocked out test dates every other month since the April changes so you could take your test in April, June, and August (but not May, July, and September).

Here's something I gathered based off of SDN posters from other CPJE threads:

CPJE test date - date score was received by mail
4/6 - 6/3
4/30 - 6/3
6/1 - 7/25
6/2 - 7/23
6/2 - 7/22
6/10 - 7/25
6/30 - 7/24

Judging by the dates people received their scores, it looks like the Board is releasing an entire month's worth of scores by the end of the following month. So by the pattern, August test-takers should receive their score by late September.

TORTURE!!!!

Will be taking the CPJE in 4 days. This post just made me extra scared!!:sick:
I used a very similar study method as the OP, so will probably experience the same torture.
Any tips would be appreciated!!!!

Taking my exam in 3 days. This is the last hurdle and I'm super nervous.
Best of luck to everyone!

I called the CA board of pharmacy today, they confirmed that we are NOT in a QA period. Of course, now I'll know to be super nervous when I check the mail haha.

I took cpje a few days ago, had a same feeling that the law questions were too ambiguous, seemed like choices are similar and correct, couldn't know which is the most right. So :(!!!

Just took mine today! The Exam was so random.....I feel like I failed it. Do you guys know how long it will take for scores? I took naplex on 7/29 and still no scores. ughhhhh...I hate this wait.

Hm, how does that even work? OP got 70 questions on operations? blue print says 20ish?
Anyone else took recently?? I am coming from out of state