I think I failed the CCS- Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just finished day 2 of Step 3.

The MCQs I actually felt weren't that bad though of equal difficulty for me in day 1/2.

The CCS however, there was one case where I accidentally advanced the case from Day 1-6 (yes, I know, an idiot mistake), however, I believe I did get the management correct of the underlying situation as the patient continuously said that he was improving.

Also, in addition, I'm freaking out because I did not order actual surgeries on any of my patients. Say for example (NOT ONE OF MY REAL CASES), I had a patient that I wanted to send a patient for surgery because of an SBO. I would place a general surgery consult and then a pop up would appear that said "the patient has been schedule for surgery." AND THEN THE CASE ENDS! So I never ordered "laparotomy" or anything like that.

Anyone else have this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how impt it is to order the actual surg
Hey guys, just finished day 2 of Step 3.

The MCQs I actually felt weren't that bad though of equal difficulty for me in day 1/2.

The CCS however, there was one case where I accidentally advanced the case from Day 1-6 (yes, I know, an idiot mistake), however, I believe I did get the management correct of the underlying situation as the patient continuously said that he was improving.

Also, in addition, I'm freaking out because I did not order actual surgeries on any of my patients. Say for example (NOT ONE OF MY REAL CASES), I had a patient that I wanted to send a patient for surgery because of an SBO. I would place a general surgery consult and then a pop up would appear that said "the patient has been schedule for surgery." AND THEN THE CASE ENDS! So I never ordered "laparotomy" or anything like that.

Anyone else have this experience?

Not sure how impt it is to order the actual surgery. You ordered the surgery consult, so I think you should be fine. Just as long as you didnt do anything invasive that was not required.

Thats whats supposed to happen - calm down, you almost certainly passed, just like 96%+ (or whatever the number is now) of takers...

@worriedMD .... In ********** workshop, it is said that the name of the procedure is scored. Not a big score but apparently, some points will be given for adding the procedure.
The approach is Get surgical consult...surgeon comes and accepts patient, then place pre op orders Pre-op orders which should include :
a) NPO b) IV NSS c) Consent for procedure d) PT, PTT e) Type and screen f) Name of the procedure itself. So know this pre-op order set and place it always once surgeon accepts the patient and you will not go wrong with the indication for surgery. If there is no indication for the surgery in the case or you have not yet ordered necessary investigations to satisfy the criteria for surgery, surgeon will decline. For example, you need staging work up in Colon cancer before you call surgeon to do colectomy.
You mentioned laparotomy which is good for most abdominal procedures and it always work if you do not know exact abdominal procedure name

Members don't see this ad :)
From other usmle forums posts, it seems now uworld simulation cases are not enough to prepare completely for the real exam ones. Now the minimum passing rate goes up in 2016 to add insult to injury.