Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I think I found my Verbal battle tactic

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Vanguard23, May 12, 2007.

1. Vanguard23

Vanguard23 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Well, I've for the most part ditched Kaplan's strategy save a few points like recognizing the topic and purpose. None of this writing down anything BS.
    I've found using the highlighter feature is MORE than enough to annotate the passages. Mostly, this is because it allows me to read actively and aggressively. My verbal scores on the AAMCs have gone up around 3-5 points doing so. I also finish in *just* enough time.
    Now, the last one I took(AAMC 9) I made a 9 on. I *would* have done better(I was missing a question every other passage or so) until I came across this one about visual/tactile learning and I just dropped the ball on it, missing all the questions.
    But case in point is I've found something that keeps me from glazing over the passages and I can easily reference items if I need to.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HristosKaran

HristosKaran Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2006
    So whats your tactic? Highlighting?? Man thats a good one I never thought of..:cool: I do agree with you on the active reading part...the only problem I have is I try to absorb EVERYTHING and it really slows my time down...

Another thing I've noticed, but too scared to try on the real test, is if you just try to eliminate answer choices just by the way the choice is written, you can usually spot the two answers that seem right...maybe I'm just being stupid, but I've noticed when I only have 5 minutes left and answer the questions based on limited knowledge from the passage, I'm getting 60-80% right..what gives?

4. shaqkillz451

shaqkillz451 7+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2006
    USA
    I agree, don't worry about all the mapping stuff- that actually forces you to focus on a lot of details. It has been said a million times on SDN but the ultimate key to doing good is to focus hard on the author's main purpose. A lot of times, you'll read a lot of detailed stuff that does not make sense b/c the vocab might be crazy or u don't have prior familiarity with the content, but I think that even if u can't figure out all the supporting details, u can still grasp the idea. Just focus on the first few sentences of the opening paragraph, and as u read thereon, take a second to once in a while and actually say out loud what the author is saying....stopping and restating the main points out loud as I go has helped me on the passages, even if i don't understand all the detailed stuff!

5. Vanguard23

Vanguard23 5+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Highlighting is a means of just cutting the passage apart. Don't try to absorb everything; just get what you can out of it and use the annotation to quickly go back. Sort of like memory markers, for me.

6. Doc Henry

Doc Henry blowin' in the wind 10+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    MDApps:
    I'm just now starting verbal with EK and I've liked what they said so far. They really discourage you from highlighting or writing and they tell you not to worry about the details at all.

I'm starting Kaplan in June and I'm a little worried that I might have a hard time just sticking to one method.

The EK books are VERY VERY insistent that you use their method and do not pick and choose....I don't know how I feel about that.

I guess I'll just see how my scores are and go from there.