I think I made a mistake during an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcrim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know overthinking about a past interview at this point doesn't help much but it's been bothering me for a while. I guess I also wanted to talk it out so it might make me feel better.

So at a recent interview I was asked the "What's your greatest failure" question. I somewhat prepared for this question beforehand but at the interview I decided to go with a different answer than what I prepared for. So I talked about how I was a bully when I was younger (before high school) and gave several anecdotes. I almost got into trouble once but later on I matured and realized that was something I never should've done. My interviewer seemed rather surprised since based on my application it was hard to associate me with such character. I emphasized at the end I definitely regret my behavior and it was probably the worst of me in my life.

Did I just screw up my interview? It's been bothering me because I think my interviewer probably didn't expect me to give such an answer. Also would this be an indication for the school that I'd be a terrible physician? What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I probably would not have picked being a bully when I was younger as a "failure", I think you're overthinking it. As long as you didnt sound like a babbling idiot you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly don't think it sounds all that bad. In fact, it reveals willingness to openly touch upon old shortcomings as well as the capacity to reflect and evolve. Wouldn't sweat it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you demonstrated you're still a bully, you're good mannnnnnnnnnne

Reactions: 4 users
No, that's actually a great answer. Lot's of self-reflection. we like that in med students and doctors.

I know overthinking about a past interview at this point doesn't help much but it's been bothering me for a while. I guess I also wanted to talk it out so it might make me feel better.

So at a recent interview I was asked the "What's your greatest failure" question. I somewhat prepared for this question beforehand but at the interview I decided to go with a different answer than what I prepared for. So I talked about how I was a bully when I was younger (before high school) and gave several anecdotes. I almost got into trouble once but later on I matured and realized that was something I never should've done. My interviewer seemed rather surprised since based on my application it was hard to associate me with such character. I emphasized at the end I definitely regret my behavior and it was probably the worst of me in my life.

Did I just screw up my interview? It's been bothering me because I think my interviewer probably didn't expect me to give such an answer. Also would this be an indication for the school that I'd be a terrible physician? What are your thoughts?

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate them. I know I'm overthinking at this point but it's hard for me to forget about it and it was also at a school I probably have the highest chances of getting in.

No, that's actually a great answer. Lot's of self-reflection. we like that in med students and doctors.

I think the main reason I didn't go with my initial thoughts was because it didn't sound very sincere to me. I'm actually surprised that this would be looked favorably upon by adcoms, especially coming from you Goro. Would you suggest I respond with a similar answer in the future if the same question were to be asked (maybe with less personal anecdotes and details) or a more conservative answer?

Jut answer from the heart.

The problem that I have with the answer is whether or not it answers the question. I always assumed a failure to mean an attempt that didn't go how you had hoped.

The problem that I have with the answer is whether or not it answers the question. I always assumed a failure to mean an attempt that didn't go how you had hoped.
I don't think failures always have to be a single incident or single event that didn't go according to plan. I think what OP wanted to say is that he viewed that part of his life as a failure, and he could've been a better person. I think as long as he learned something from it and walked out of his "failure" it would be acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user