I think I made a mistake...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I applied MSTP and now decide I don't want to go through with it, should I call the school and ask to be removed from the MSTP pile and placed in the MD applicant pool?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are sure you don't want to do MSTP, I would do your second option. Tell them ASAP. Honesty is the best policy, almost always. I'm not sure how tough it is to switch from MD/PhD to just MD, but I would assume that it is probably a hassle once you are in.

Oh yeah, vote for more cowbell as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Any other voices?

why do you want to change? what made you change your mind in such a short period of time?

although it probably doesn't look great (maybe i'm being too negative but if it was me, i know i'd be concerned) to change your mind and appear not well-informed of the programs beforehand or to appear indecisive or wishywashy (hey they can think anything they want)..i'd still call them or write a letter requesting the change. You might as well be honest upfront. It may delay things but don't wait for the interview to request a change. Good luck.

I'd suggest writing a letter and ask to be removed from the MSTP pile. Keep the letter simple and straightforward. Don't overdo the apology, just say you've reconsidered the MSTP route.

I would tell them you're not interested ASAP (if you really aren't, of course), because as you said, your app is with the MSTP office which is usually somewhat separate from the MD admissions office. I'm sure the MSTP office will appreciate you not wasting their time. That, and you want to get in on the MD action as soon as possible.

-X

JDAD said:
If I applied MSTP and now decide I don't want to go through with it, should I call the school and ask to be removed from the MSTP pile and placed in the MD applicant pool?

JDAD said:
Any other voices?

Hey JDAD,

I don't know how separate the admissions offices are. Do you have to be accepted by an MD admissions committee AND a PHD admissions committee? If that's true, maybe it's no big deal to opt out at this stage.

-Sparky

Thanks for the help, the MSTP and MD offices are completely seperate, but they do talk to each other. I really don't think withdrawing from MSTP would be a problem and I would make sure I spoke with the MD office to indicate my eagerness to attend MD only. I know the director of admissions, and I think he would be cool with it.

BUT, I think last night was just a weird day. Why would anyone not want to do MSTP? (Unless you don't like research, but this isn't the case, I was just worried about my MD application siting in the pile while everyone elses was being looked at) I wasn't thinking clearly and I am glad that I waited out any action. I am going to stick with my original decision and leave things the way they are.