I think I want to be a clinician, but not sure how I feel about drawing blood...any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted a career in healthcare. I used to be a pharmacy tech, tried pre-pharmacy and gave up on it. Then I was considering being a PA and kind of gave up on that as well. My main issues were with Organic Chem.

Anyway, I am now working in an administrative role at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. I don't see the patients face-to-face much, but interacting with them over the phone and really being able to make a difference in their day really makes me feel great. The patients I work with LOVE me, and it really makes me feel good. I would really like to help them in more of a hands-on role, so I've been considering going to nursing school and maybe hopefully even becoming an NP.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous is having to stick someone. I'm not really grossed out by the sight of blood, but the thought of feeling around for someone's veins and then sticking something in it, kind of irks me a little. Having to inject someone with a needle is a bit of a turn off for me too, but I think I can manage it, it's just the vein/IV thing that creeps me out. I also have very shaky hands to begin with, so not sure if me handling a needle is a good idea anyway lol.

Obviously, this a HUGE part of the job though. Do you think this is something I can learn to overcome, or is it just simply not for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wanted a career in healthcare. I used to be a pharmacy tech, tried pre-pharmacy and gave up on it. Then I was considering being a PA and kind of gave up on that as well. My main issues were with Organic Chem.

Anyway, I am now working in an administrative role at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. I don't see the patients face-to-face much, but interacting with them over the phone and really being able to make a difference in their day really makes me feel great. The patients I work with LOVE me, and it really makes me feel good. I would really like to help them in more of a hands-on role, so I've been considering going to nursing school and maybe hopefully even becoming an NP.

The only thing that makes me a little nervous is having to stick someone. I'm not really grossed out by the sight of blood, but the thought of feeling around for someone's veins and then sticking something in it, kind of irks me a little. Having to inject someone with a needle is a bit of a turn off for me too, but I think I can manage it, it's just the vein/IV thing that creeps me out. I also have very shaky hands to begin with, so not sure if me handling a needle is a good idea anyway lol.

Obviously, this a HUGE part of the job though. Do you think this is something I can learn to overcome, or is it just simply not for me?

I wasn't fond of blood and needles before i went into medicine/nursing - but you get use to it after stabbing a few thousand people. Funny thing is, i still occaionally passout when i get stuck for blood or shots, but i can give them all day long and not flinch. Except for kids, kids freak me out.

I would try to shadow a phlebotomist or nurse, get exposed to it.

And Ochem does suck but you can do it.

I hate drawing blood and setting IV’s, but I’m good at it, and it was just something I had to conquer. You practice it on each other too, so there’s no getting around it. Maybe addressing OChem will be easier for you than getting used to needles, but that’s for you to decide. I know PAs that have never touched a patient before they became a PA student, and even then they didn’t have to stick anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate drawing blood and setting IV’s, but I’m good at it, and it was just something I had to conquer. You practice it on each other too, so there’s no getting around it. Maybe addressing OChem will be easier for you than getting used to needles, but that’s for you to decide. I know PAs that have never touched a patient before they became a PA student, and even then they didn’t have to stick anyone.

Yeah, I've heard that PAs do little if any blood drawing/IVs. I'd probably prefer that route, but like I said, OChem was really hard for me. I guess I can find a way to get through it, it's just going to be tough taking all of these pre-reqs since I work full time 9-5. I'm 28 years old, not getting any younger lol. I have General Chem and Bio 1 & 2 done, but from what I understand, most PA pre-reqs require OChem 1 & 2, A&P 1 & 2, Microbiology, etc. I do have my patient hands-on care (or whatever it's called) already done though, and I know most PA schools require that as well.

Yeah, I've heard that PAs do little if any blood drawing/IVs. I'd probably prefer that route, but like I said, OChem was really hard for me. I guess I can find a way to get through it, it's just going to be tough taking all of these pre-reqs since I work full time 9-5. I'm 28 years old, not getting any younger lol. I have General Chem and Bio 1 & 2 done, but from what I understand, most PA pre-reqs require OChem 1 & 2, A&P 1 & 2, Microbiology, etc. I do have my patient hands-on care (or whatever it's called) already done though, and I know most PA schools require that as well.

I worked fulltime while doing my prereqs for med school. It stinks, but it totally possible. I think i was 27 or 28 when i took Ochem? idk.

maybe take A&P and Micro first. Those are fun classes, might give you a little boost in confidence.

I agree with the above, provided you want to be a PA, which would be a good option.

The overall concern about taking the PA route is that nothing is guaranteed. All that effort is wasted if you don’t get into school. The road to PA school is littered with folks who didn’t get in and have a bachelors degree that does little for them on its own. A nursing degree is a degree that gives you a geat job with benefits and plenty of time off. A biology degree gets you very little on its own. I don’t regret my pathway to NP where I got a bachelors degree in biology, and then in lab science, then a BSN. But it would have been a ton easier to just get my BSN in my early 20s and then me making RN wages from there. If I was advising someone what to do, I’d suggest nursing. You can go anywhere in the nation and find a good job. If you want to become an executive, you can get there through nursing. If you want to be a ski bum, you can do that through nursing too. Work on a helicopter lifeflight crew, school nurse, health department, teach, employee health, research, case management, anywhere in the hospital, care coordination, etc. the list goes on to about 80 diffeeent roles that an RN can step into. I read recently about how several hospital systems are getting rid of management executives in favor of RNs with business degrees in those roles. Many of those roles pay as much or more than a PA or NP. And with a nursing degree, you can work while in school. I’m not selling nursing, it just sells itself when you look into it. My bachelors in biology got me temp agency work.

I feel like PA school is good for a certain segment of the population, and not others.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm now considering Radiation Therapy.

I work for Memorial Sloan Kettering and they offer a program. It's full time for 23 months, but it's only $5k per year (plus they give scholarships). I'd only need to take A&P I and take an entrance exam then I can apply. They make decent money from what I've heard, it's working directly with patients, and there's no IVs/needles/catheters involved as far as I know.

Thoughts?

I'm now considering Radiation Therapy.

I work for Memorial Sloan Kettering and they offer a program. It's full time for 23 months, but it's only $5k per year (plus they give scholarships). I'd only need to take A&P I and take an entrance exam then I can apply. They make decent money from what I've heard, it's working directly with patients, and there's no IVs/needles/catheters involved as far as I know.

Thoughts?

How do you figure? There are plenty of times people need IVs for rads. Think PET/CT scans. Someone has to do it. If it is put on the nurses where you are, like it often is, then you're free of it; but that isn't always the case.

I don't understand the whole fear/hate of blood. Blood is life; w/o it, we are all screwed. But that's me. I have literally been covered in it in certain codes over the years. I am still here decades later to tell of it.