1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I think I'm behind...Need major help.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NeilSaha, Aug 18, 2011.

1. NeilSaha

I am going to be a sophomore in Queens College in NY this fall semester. The only science I have taken so far is Chemistry. I did horrible in it. I got a C due to personal problems but I'm willing to put in whatever it takes to get A's in the rest of my sciences.

I didn't get to take any sciences my very first semester due to being late in registration. Second semester I decided to only take chemistry because I thought doubling up would be too difficult for me then. But next semester I'm taking Bio 1 and Chem 2 with labs for both.

Question is am I behind? Everywhere I read on SDN, I see people saying they doubled up right off the bat in their very first semester and I get worried.

What should I do? I basically need help planning out my route to medical school I guess. I would appreciate any help I get.

P.S. First Semester I also took calc, I got a B-. But I took calc 2 this summer and got an A. (idk if this helps you guys but any help is really appreciated)

Thanks guys!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaliGirl14

CaliGirl14 No worries.
    Removed 7+ Year Member

Don't trip. I didn't take any science classes my first year (besides Stats and Calc). You'll be fine.

4. aSagacious

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    A good number of students are able to complete their pre-reqs in two years (excluding summers). If you are willing and able to make use of your summer semesters you could readily finish your pre-reqs in time for an MCAT at the end of your junior year (which is 'on schedule' with most other applicants).

5. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You will want to work on your study habits and identify the right studying/learning style.

Many students would never become doctor if they didn't change their study habits.

6. NeilSaha

thanks a lot guys really appreciate it!

but can you guys give me a rundown of how my schedule or route should look like throughout the rest of my college years? My first semester of sophomore year I'm taking Bio 1 and CHem 2.

Chem 1, Calc 1, and Calc 2 is over with. I'm willing to take summer classes if you guys recommend me to do so.

7. theseeker4

theseeker4 PGY 3
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Winter sophmore: Bio II and either Organic Chem I or Physics I
    Summer: Organic II or Physics II.
    Fall Junior: Physics I or Organic I plus 1 or 2 other helpful classes like micro, cell bio, biochemistry, genetics, etc. depending on your schedule.
    Winter Junior: Final pre-req (orgo II or Physics II) plus another 1 or 2 upper-level classes.
    Your other classes required for graduation would fill in above as necessary.

MCAT no later than July, study for the MCAT and get your application together and submitted after winter classes are done. Make sure your application is finished and submitted before taking the MCAT so the grades can be verified as quickly as possible and the application sent to your schools as soon as the MCAT scores are released. :luck:

8. NeilSaha

wait winter vacation is one month right? and summer vacation is 2 months. I'm sorry but may I ask why I should take 2 courses over the winter and 1 over the summer? I dont get that part^. 2 science courses in one month sounds crazy lol

but I really appreciate the help though. It gave me a really good idea of how my plan should look. Anyone else have any tips of how my plan should look like for the rest of my college years? ANY help will be appreciated!

9. desi0chick

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^ I don't think the user means taking classes during winter break (I don't think that's even possible especially in the CUNY system). I think rather than rushing everything you should take your time and re-evaluate your study habits first. A C is not the end of the world, but focus on maintaining a strong gpa. You can always take classes during the summer. For example, many people finish Chem 1 & Chem 2 over the summer or Physics 1& 2. Just make sure you take the prerequisite courses before taking the MCAT. As for your schedule you'll be done with Bio and Chem by the end of sophomore year which leaves you with Physics and Organic Chemistry. Take Physics over the summer, and Orgo during your academic year, hope that helps.

10. StephanieZ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I didn't take any of my science pre-reqs until my junior year because I didn't decide that I wanted to go to medical school until half-way through my sophomore year. You will have to take alot of science classes your last few years while your peers are polishing off their electives, and you may need to take summer classes, or an extra semester, but it's definitely doable. Don't stress ;)

11. Truzzi

Pre-Medical
    I only did Biology and calculus first semester. So I didn't start chem until second semester. My second semester is Chem1, Bio2+labs, and Calc2 though with chem2 planned for the summer. You may need to triple one semester, but I think it's definitely doable as long as one of them is a math.

12. Sesom

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I would say you are behind that science GPA goal, I'd say you want it to be 3.5 or higher. With school it's hard to say whether you are behind or ahead. Of course, you could say other people are ahead of you now. In a year from now you may be where they are now as well.

13. 10Acious

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You are NEVER behind. You make mistakes, but LEARN from that and keep improving. Never lose faith in yourself and your abilities. If its something you truly want to accomplish, you will get it done. That's all there is to it.

14. alexandertg6

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As someone else said, dont trip. I graduated in 3 years and filled all my prereqs, so one way of looking at that is I didnt take any classes my first year :p

#13 alexandertg6, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  15. Sesom

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Pfft, and?

16. Pattycake25

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're FINE. You are not playing at a disadvantage if you're light on the science courses, so long as:

1. You take the prereqs.
    2. You still perform well on the MCAT, which depends on the prereqs.
    3. Your schedule does not look like someone gunning for easy A's, no matter what it is in. Don't try to do the bare minimum on upper-level courses, in other words - medical schools like applicants to have evidence of rising to an academic challenge.

17. NeilSaha

Thank you all for your time and the replies! I really appreciate your help!

So I definitely have no choice but to take sciences over the summer right? Should I take sciences for BOTH sessions of the summer or just one session? Will I be alright with that?

18. alexandertg6

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  19. Morsetlis

Morsetlis I wish I were a dentist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do not worry about the length in which you complete your degree and prereqs. Rather, worry about your GPA and your MCAT.

20. Chir0nex

5+ Year Member

I was in similar situation and started with Chem 1 fall of freshmen year and then took one science per semester except for fall junior year where i did orgo 2 and bio 2 at once. I also did physics 1&2 over the span of one summer. The result of this is that I am taking a gap year since there was no way I could take my MCATs before senior year. If you want to avoid a gap year then you will have to double up more science courses, but otherwise you are fine as you are in terms of courses completed.

As for sciences over the summer it depends on your dedication. In my experience, summer courses go much faster, so you need to be willing to dedicated yourself completely to your course to get an A (or hope you get an easy teacher). That being said, taking two over the course of a summer is totally doable.