I think screening is overrated...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supertrooper66

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been calling all the schools I'm applying to that screen to make sure I don't get screened out before they receive my MCAT retake. most schools will put you on hold till the 2nd one comes in, others will only put you on hold if they are interested in the rest of your app, and others have such low cutoffs that you'll probably receive the secondary anyway.

for example, i just called one school and they asked me what my first score was. I said 26R and they said "as long as your GPA is a B to B-, then you'll most likely be sent a secondary. if you do worse on your MCAT retake, we average your two most recent scores, though." i almost said "i don't think i'll do worse than a 26...i'm actually going to study this time" haha.

so basically, i think even the schools that screen still send secondaries to most applicants. why wouldn't they? it just makes them lose money the more applicants they don't send it to.

Members don't see this ad.

I can think of 2 schools in particular that don't screen.. I've lost about $400 in applications to them.

I'm thankful for those that do screen.. if I don't have a chance, don't let me waste my time and money.

On the other hand, I hate schools who screen me out.. they should give me a chance ;)

...for example, i just called one school and they asked me what my first score was. I said 26R and they said "as long as your GPA is a B to B-, then you'll most likely be sent a secondary.

That med school is simply cashing secondary checks prior to tossing your app in the trash...what med school accepts a 2.7-3.0/26?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can think of 2 schools in particular that don't screen.. I've lost about $400 in applications to them.

I'm thankful for those that do screen.. if I don't have a chance, don't let me waste my time and money.

On the other hand, I hate schools who screen me out.. they should give me a chance ;)

Haha, I think Mayo when I saw this :laugh:

That med school is simply cashing secondary checks prior to tossing your app in the trash...what med school accepts a 2.7-3.0/26?

i agree. that's why i don't get why that school even screens!
i don't care if they try to trash my app, tho, because once my 2nd score comes in i'll show them who's boss! i have a 3.63, which i always consider low; however, i don't think i'll have trouble getting past their GPA screening

Now everyone will chime in with their little anecdote about how they heard of someone getting in with far worse numbers, and how schools shouldn't screen at all because numbers don't mean anything...

My white as snow grandmother got into Harvard with a 2.95 cGPA and a 29 on the MCAT. Stats don't mean anything. She made the adcom a batch of cookies. It's possible! Everyone who disbelieves is a hater and should be eliminated.

My white as snow grandmother got into Harvard with a 2.95 cGPA and a 29 on the MCAT. Stats don't mean anything. She made the adcom a batch of cookies. It's possible! Everyone who disbelieves is a hater and should be eliminated.
Do believers get a batch of cookies then? =)

To be honest, I kind of wished more schools screened when I was applying as it would have saved me a ton in secondary fees.

To be honest, I kind of wished more schools screened when I was applying as it would have saved me a ton in secondary fees.

Agreed. It's better to quash hopes and dreams quickly rather than slowly squeeze the life out of them.

word. not only does it save you money, it saves you precious time and energy. filling out secondaries and answering the same stupid 'why do you want to be a doctor, why do you want to go to our school, why are you special' essay questions (slightly modified) 10 times gets very exhausting and taxing. i think it would be far better for the schools to screen the primary so that we can focus on the secondaries for schools that are actually interested in us, instead of just wasting our efforts on little more than a money trap.

just because they send you a secondary doesn't mean you haven't already been screened. Schools generally do not read applications below certain numbers and they'll take your secondary (and check) and then send you a rejection letter.

just because they send you a secondary doesn't mean you haven't already been screened. Schools generally do not read applications below certain numbers and they'll take your secondary (and check) and then send you a rejection letter.
thats why I think all schools should do like Wake, UNC, and most of the UCs...screen presec or only offer a secondary to those who get an interview.....greedy bastards.

screening after a secondary should be illegal. They shouldn't send secondaries to people who they have no intention of interviewing/admitting. But I guess the adcom's gotta eat too.

screening after a secondary should be illegal. They shouldn't send secondaries to people who they have no intention of interviewing/admitting. But I guess the adcom's gotta eat too.

Gotta eat?? Trust me bro, the members of the adcom are far from worrying about having to find some grub for the evening. Most likely, all those dollars are being funneled into the university's already massive bank account.