I took enrichment classes at a CC after already getting my degree. Would those count in the ↓ trend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayjaystudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for 10 years now (graduated 2006) with a degree in Engineering, and here's the trend in my grades:
  • I attended a community college with a GPA of 3.78
  • I transferred to a well-known university, and graduated with a GPA of 3.10
  • After a couple of years, I took some enrichment classes at 2 other community colleges for my craft (e.g., web design, 3d modeling, etc.). They total about 24 credit hours and my GPA was 3.875.
  • After doing some excel calculations, my cGPA is 3.49 and sGPA is 3.53
  • The downward trend from the first community college to the university is very noticeable.
Question: How will the enrichment classes I took after graduating be treated? Will they be part of the trend? Or does the trend stop after I completed my degree?

P.S., I'm also about to start taking my pre-reqs this coming semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, there's this thing called a search bar...up at the top by your user name.... also stickies at the top of the forum page so you don't even have to filter through search results for the best answers...

Now, as has been answered many times before, this is how your gpa will be laid out in AMCAS after you enter all your classes (the numbers get filled in after your app is verified). AACOMAS is slightly different, but similar. Everything you did after getting the first bachelors falls into the postbacc slot, and then ALL ug level classes get averaged together for the cumulative.
upload_2016-10-15_11-15-4.png

Worry less about your drop between CC and university, since you can't change that and it was a long time ago, and worry more about acing the pre-reqs, so that your current grades show that you are prepared for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
I did the same as you. Honestly the trend at this point isn't worth noting. Where you will be scrutinized the most is on how you do in the medicine prerequisites. Do very well in those and you won't have to worry about trending etc. My undergrad GPA was not competitive at all (~3.1), however the fact that it was Engineering coupled with a great performance in medicine prerequisites and a successful career behind me helped to alleviate any concerns. Do well on MCAT too. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same as you. Honestly the trend at this point isn't worth noting. Where you will be scrutinized the most is on how you do in the medicine prerequisites. Do very well in those and you won't have to worry about trending etc. My undergrad GPA was not competitive at all (~3.1), however the fact that it was Engineering coupled with a great performance in medicine prerequisites and a successful career behind me helped to alleviate any concerns. Do well on MCAT too. Good luck

Thanks! So does the trend not count if one has been out of school for years? I've been reading here that grade trend counts.

How well are you doing now or recently? You have to prove that the you of now is not the you of then.

Understood. I plan to take my pre-reqs next semester, and I'm hoping to ace all of them.

Out of curiosity... for someone who finished his bachelor's a decade ago, which one do you think would the ADCOMs find more favorable: completing a formal post-bacc program OR taking DIY University extension classes? Let's say both will be at a university-setting (i.e., not community college).

Doesn't matter. Just ace the coursework.

Out of curiosity... for someone who finished his bachelor's a decade ago, which one do you think would the ADCOMs find more favorable: completing a formal post-bacc program OR taking DIY University extension classes? Let's say both will be at a university-setting (i.e., not community college).[/QUOTE]