1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I took the PCAT July and September

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by jaymin8, Sep 4, 2014.

1. jaymin8

2+ Year Member

I have been reading the forums today and a lot of you guys killed it today. Congrats!!

As I was reading other posts, it seems the VA and RC are what some people struggled in. I just wanted to post that this (September) PCAT RC was harder than July's BY A LOT!! I know everyone gets different passages etc. but I was shocked on how different it was. I got 84% in July and got 54% this time around. Fortunately, my July PCAT was good (89% comp.) but had low bio and low VA and I was able to get 53% VA (Not great but meets the minimums for most schools) and improve my 38% bio to >80% (Had lots of micro in July).

The reason I posted this was anyone that didn't do well in the sections, it could just be bad luck on the "draw of the test"-meaning you just got a hard test. I know its graded by how other people do etc. but still. Like always if you have any questions, pm or post and I will try to assist you.

*Also, I am not good in VA or RC like many others. My vocabulary is a joke and my attention span while reading those passages is awful. RC (IMO) is very easy to improve in comparison to VA. RC, I kept reading and tried to stay interested in the topic. I pretended I was the author and tried to see where he/she was coming from. That helped me 1) stay interested in the passage and 2) be able to answer the common questions. VA, I did Dr. Collins and prayed I get repeats etc., and I used Kaplans 6 bridges.

Good luck to all that apply this cycle!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spurs2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for your post! I took it in July as well and did super well on chem/bio/quant but totally sucked at RC (got a 26) and verbal (49). I'm retaking it today at 4pm and I'm dreading the english sections. I also did dr collins and kaplan for verbal and am praying for similar analogies/sc. I use the +/- for the blanks but really hoping for some repeats as well. How was your verbal this time around - was it mostly repeats or no? I noticed in july that one of hte last words would be switched compared to Dr. C's which was super annoying so this time I tried defining every single word i didn't know and looked up synonyms.

For RC, I used MCAT prep (EK verbal 101 book and princeton reviews hyperlearning). I totally panicked in my july test for reading and didn't have much prep under my belt and thought I could kinda wing it with my lack of adequate prep. This time, I'm feeling okay and just am trying to get through the passages/questions as quick as I can without skipping around passages (a dumb mistake I did when I panicked in july). How do you manage the timing?? Sometimes I get so caught up in the questions and waste so much time but I've been trying to manage that. I panicked so much since hte clock was staring right at me at the test so I'm gonna try to block it out today and just get through everything efficiently and hopefully raise my score tremendously. Any last minute advice? ahh

4. spurs2014

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    also whatd you think about quant when you took it this week?? not too bad or hard? and lots of triaging right

5. jaymin8

2+ Year Member

quant section i scored the same. I had no trig (July I had a lot). There was a bit more calc and precalc though! Verbal was the same and I got some repeats plus some from Collins. If you can do passage questions and have time left then you are set for the PCAT. It sounds like you practiced a lot since July and should be more than ready. Goodluck and tell me how it goes.

6. believee

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I thought they got rid of trigs for 2014 pcats?