I took the wrong ochem series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started university with the goal of going into clinical psychology because I felt that I just wasn't cut out for medical school. At my university, there are two levels of organic chemistry: pre-med and non pre-med. So convinced that med school wasn't for me, I took (and finished) the non pre-med series. It wasn't until I made that choice of "non pre-med" that I realized how badly I wanted to continue into medical school.

My question is: Will it look bad if I take the pre-med ochem now that I've finished the non-premed series? Even if I manage As? I will essentially be taking ochem for two years (but I will receive half credit for the new series).

Thank you in advance! I really appreciate any feedback. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whether it looks bad or not --- Do you have any other choice?

I think you should apply to medical school and then speak with the admissions department and ask them if they will accept it. I would think that you will know which medical school you are attending by May and therefore would know whether or not they are accepting it. If they aren't accepting it then you still have that summer to find the easiest/cheapest CC or state school and just take organic in the summer.

Most medical schools say that you don't have to have all of your pre-req's fulfilled by the time you apply, they just need to be fulfilled by the time you matriculate.

And I recommend this simply because who wants to take organic twice? lol if you can avoid it then I'd avoid it and if you are already accepted at the school then you really just need to pull the bare minimum grade and don't have to worry about protecting your GPA (Like B-, a C may even be fine).

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether it looks bad or not --- Do you have any other choice?

Unfortunately, no. The ochem series I took was two quarters rather than a year so I would need to take the second series. I just wonder how much this would hurt me.. :(

It might be worth an interview question. So long as you have a decent answer (I was originally not pre-med) then it certainly shouldn't be fatal.

You'll need to do well in 'Big O-Chem' though, having already taken 'Baby O-Chem'

Thank you for the reply! I plan to work my butt off for those A's -- both for the MCAT and because it would look poor if I did not do great in a second year of ochem lol