I transferred colleges to get better GPA. What are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pheroh1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I played around during freshman and sophomore year due to many distractions at a big school. My GPA was 2.4 by the end of soph year. I then transferred to a smaller school, I repeated some classes, and my GPA at this school is now 3.6 (improvement).

However, if i add up everything, I have a 3.2 science GPA, 3.3 cumulative GPA. I going to take the MCAT, which im studying hard for. What are my chances of getting into MD or DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

DO schools do grade replacement, so that shouldn't be a problem, if you decided to retake some classes.
As for MD, it comes down to the whole picture, if your GPA is on the low side, try to compensate that with a high MCAT score and some strong ECs (clinical, non-clinical, shadowing and research). Also they look at the trend of your gpa, and yours is rising so thats good. You should apply to both MD and DO, focus on low-tier MD schools and your state schools.
In the end, your MCAT score is going to play a huge role, focus on that and study hard, shoot for 508+, the higher the better.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DO has a grade replacement policy.
MD averages out the grades.
The average matriculate for an MD has around a 3.75
Can't provide much detail based off just GPA. The MCAT is crucial.