I transferred colleges to get better GPA. What are my chances

May 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I played around during freshman and sophomore year due to many distractions at a big school. My GPA was 2.4 by the end of soph year. I then transferred to a smaller school, I repeated some classes, and my GPA at this school is now 3.6 (improvement).

However, if i add up everything, I have a 3.2 science GPA, 3.3 cumulative GPA. I going to take the MCAT, which im studying hard for. What are my chances of getting into MD or DO school?

kingdomheart

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
DO schools do grade replacement, so that shouldn't be a problem, if you decided to retake some classes.
As for MD, it comes down to the whole picture, if your GPA is on the low side, try to compensate that with a high MCAT score and some strong ECs (clinical, non-clinical, shadowing and research). Also they look at the trend of your gpa, and yours is rising so thats good. You should apply to both MD and DO, focus on low-tier MD schools and your state schools.
In the end, your MCAT score is going to play a huge role, focus on that and study hard, shoot for 508+, the higher the better.
Best of luck!

Reactions: iwh

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
DO has a grade replacement policy.
MD averages out the grades.
The average matriculate for an MD has around a 3.75
Can't provide much detail based off just GPA. The MCAT is crucial.