I traveled across the country and all I got was this folder, notepad, and pen.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellJS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cheers to the interview process. Where most of us are shuttled around the country to be told we're not good enough!
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Let's count how much these folders and pens cost:

mcat prep course: ~$2000
mcat fee: $250
amcas app: $31
avg 2nd app fee: $80
avg air ticket for interview: $250
= $2611.

(Rejection letter: priceless
lol. And for everything else, you have master card to pay for them.)

Ouch, these pens are even more expensive than those Mon Blanc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont forget your acceptasnces longhorn :)

Some interviews don't even give you pens or folders...... :mad:

whoa whoa whoa...A PEN?!

I did NOT get any pens.

At least they all give you lunch. Without that, it would indeed be cruel.

At least they all give you lunch. Without that, it would indeed be cruel.

i was expecting breakfast at one of mine (like bagels/coffee) because we had to be there at 8:30am... they definitely didn't have anything. i was on my way to my first interview like :scared: and super hypoglycemic so i went into the student book store and bought some trail mix and snarfed it down :p

Oooh I love those pens and folders. I like collecting stuff, lol. I also have random stuff from fairs (USC pen, pencil from Guadalajara school of med, lol). I love free junk.

Yeah actually not all schools even give stuff. :( I also wish I could get the folders/pens from the schools I withdrew interviews from, lol.

The lunches are pretty good imo but I can't enjoy it when talking to medical students (kind of intimidating when you're talking to 4th years applying to plastic surgery while you scarf down food)

seriously OP, make up the t-shirts. we'll buy :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean you guys didn't even steal a stapler or lab coat?

HAHA!!

thats why im only applying to places in my state...luckily there are 7...cuz i might be traveling around the state to find out im not good enough haha

Let's count how much these folders and pens cost:

mcat prep course: ~$2000
mcat fee: $250
amcas app: $31
avg 2nd app fee: $80
avg air ticket for interview: $250
= $2611.

(Rejection letter: priceless
lol. And for everything else, you have master card to pay for them.)

Ouch, these pens are even more expensive than those Mon Blanc...

Don't forget hotel and cab fares!

And have your airline tix really only been $250 on avg? Mine are usually in the $300s range. And my ticket to the east coast was $1000 (booked around the holidays last minute... oops). That school better give me an acceptance. :p

We were part of my schools experimental "half day" interviews. All I got was an apple and a coke.

Oh ya, and an acceptance :D
An apple for lunch? That's not cool.....You should ask for partial refund of your 2nd fee. :DMay I know which school is that?

Cheers to the interview process. Where most of us are shuttled around the country to be told we're not good enough!
:thumbup:

Eh, some people would kill just for an interview.

Don't forget hotel and cab fares!

And have your airline tix really only been $250 on avg? Mine are usually in the $300s range. And my ticket to the east coast was $1000 (booked around the holidays last minute... oops). That school better give me an acceptance. :p
Good catch!!!

Ouch, I cant believe how expensive these pity pens are...

Anyway, $1000 tickets....Were you flying from Hawaii or Alaska or things like that? It costed a lot.... I could have a round trip ticket to Hong Kong within that amount :eek:

My question is why do some schools hand out baggage tags? If you're traveling back from the interview, you're not affiliated with that institution anyway and feel uncomfortable using it. You're uncomfortable traveling to a different interview with it. If you get rejected from that school, it's even more uncomfortable. If you get accepted to that school but then go somewhere else, it's not really uncomfortable so much as odd. And if you get accepted and go there, everyone else has it too, so it doesn't distinguish your bag at all (assuming that you find yourself in an airport with all of your classmates all at once--that's not a stretch is it?!). It just makes more sense to hand that sort of thing out at second look.

On the other hand, there are some schools that hand out baggage tags with blinding (and I mean blinding), motion-sensitive LEDs. Everyone and his mother will know that it's your bag, so your goods are safe. Unless the TSA also finds shiny lights interesting.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I won a Baylor pen. But it doesn't work. :(

I put all of my rejected schools' materials in my Ohio State bag that they gave me. I've called it the Bag of Rejection and I will burn it at some point down the road.
As a matter of fact we went to the same interview day...And you know what, I also haven't heard a **** from them.:(

Hahaha I love the name of this thread. Though I really can't compare since I didn't apply/ go to any out of state interviews

wtf i never got a pen either.

CCOM gave me a dual pen/highlighter! Booooyah!

I believe they looked at me as a whole individual and decided to address my writing impliment needs in a more complete way.

On one of my interviews, I got a water bottle, a stress ball shaped like a star, and a rape whistle. Definite win.

I was happy when i got a key chain flash light

On one of my interviews, I got a water bottle, a stress ball shaped like a star, and a rape whistle. Definite win.

wth.. where was this? I wanna interview there. :laugh:

I have come to develop a pathological hatred for all things brochurish.

I got a "stress ruler" from one of my interview. There's a place on the ruler for you to put your thumb on. After pressing your thumb onto it, you can tell you your stress level by reading the color change on that pad.:smuggrin:

In psych, not medicine, but: one of my interviews gave us tons of stuff (Nalgene bottle, pens, luggage tag [I agree with Myuu that they are a bizzare choice and vaguely inappropriate to give to applicants], etc.) and the other two so far have given interviewees nothing--well, besides lunch or dinner. Oh, and one gave me a bookmark in my interview invite letter!

wth.. where was this? I wanna interview there. :laugh:

Virginia Tech Carilion

Actually a really cool school, but the rape whistle made me feel like I was interviewing in south central LA instead of Roanoke, VA lol.

I won a Baylor pen. But it doesn't work. :(

I put all of my rejected schools' materials in my Ohio State bag that they gave me. I've called it the Bag of Rejection and I will burn it at some point down the road.

yesssss, if i'm not taken off the deferred status, I will burn my OSU bag with you!

I got a plain, boxy, insulated blue lunchkit at WVU. What are they trying to say-- "Buy your own lunch next time, sucka!!" ?

by far the best!-too bad I didn't get an interview at this one, wherever it may have ben!