I turned down an Ivy/Top 10 for......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newmedstudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

tell me if I am crazy for turning down a top 10/Ivy school for another school...

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, beyond crazy - more like insane. You do realize, I hope, that you now will have ZERO chance of getting any residency other than a Family Medicine spot in Carbunkle, NB.

UCLA - sheesh - why not just sign up for the Bernie Pvshmechalashck School of Medicine and Yak Farming located in rural Nepal?? I mean seriously man, you are out of your mind!! If I were you I would just drop out now, your life is so over.

UCLA is top 10 in NIH funding. Obviously residency directors only care about US News, though, so those multi-hundreds of millions of NIH dollars won't be able to save your career. Sorry.

US News > NIH

In other news, Dick Cheney > The Constitution

Hey All,

tell me if I am crazy for turning down a top 10/Ivy school for another school...not top 10, but UCLA.

Thanks!!!

:sleep:

Isn't UCLA top-15 and much less expensive?

yes, top 15...but the Ivy offering me way more $, so i would be in less debt

You're doomed. J/k... Personally, yeah I wouldn't have turned down an Ivy esp. if they offered me more $$ than UCLA. But you gotta pick the school that's right for your expectations.

For some people, going to a big-name school makes a difference... but in the end, you have to go with the school you'd love to spent the next 4 years of your life with :love: Lol.

Congrats, you just won the most egotistical post of the year for 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey All,

tell me if I am crazy for turning down a top 10/Ivy school for another school...not top 10, but UCLA.

Thanks!!!

I'm sorry, but you are crazy.

See if the Ivy will take you back... if not, reapply.

(BTW. the point of a stealth brag thread is to be... I dunno, stealthy
1703.gif
)

yes, top 15...but the Ivy offering me way more $, so i would be in less debt
There are only three Ivies higher ranked than UCLA: Harvard, Penn and Yale. Were you accepted to one of these?

Just curious. Go with the school you prefer, though personally I'd prefer the school that costs less. But if you're not talking about one of the three Ivies that actually is top 10, then your post reads as if you're building up your acceptance that you're turning down to be a better acceptance than it is.

If you write that you're turning down a "top 10/ivy" when you're actually talking about Brown, that's just sad.

EDIT: Just saw that it's a Yale acceptance. Even if you're a ratings junkie, you're only talking about 4-5 spots difference between them. Look at how much money will be saved by attending Yale, then ask yourself how much more you want to attend UCLA. They're both great schools and you'll be getting a great education either way. If you're going to look at it purely for professional reasons, I'd go with UCLA if I wanted to set up a shingle on the west coast.

If the ivy offered more money and you still turned them down then yes you are.
I'd find it hard to turn away money to attend one good school over another.

That said, OP, if you have a real love of UCLA and the money isn't a huge factor (savings isn't $100K or something insance), go with UCLA. You're still attending one of the best med schools in the nation, so it's not going to be a huge hit to your future.

Hey All,

Thanks!!!

Props. :thumbup: Can you give the rest of us some tips on how you landed those interviews so we can be in the same crazy situation you are in?

I don't think it will be detrimental to your career if you choose either so good luck.

Congrats, you just won the most egotistical post of the year for 2007.

I swear, I just thought your screen name was 'TheMightyAnus'

I'm not sure if that'd be something to brag about, or keep to oneself..

I swear, I just thought your screen name was 'TheMightyAnus'

I'm not sure if that'd be something to brag about, or keep to oneself..

goatse ?

*shudder*

Dude, beyond crazy - more like insane. You do realize, I hope, that you now will have ZERO chance of getting any residency other than a Family Medicine spot in Carbunkle, NB.

UCLA - sheesh - why not just sign up for the Bernie Pvshmechalashck School of Medicine and Yak Farming located in rural Nepal?? I mean seriously man, you are out of your mind!! If I were you I would just drop out now, your life is so over.

but the op will find it easier to get in derm from ucla, i've heard that a lot of people over there got in derm because they thought they could have all pork rinds they can eat though.

To OP: I know it's none of my business but stop bragging about this. Didnt we talk about this over and over and now you changed to a new account and still discuss this? Come on now. J, remember how much you wanted to go to UCLA when you were still on the waitlist or before you sent out the letter of intent to UCLA? Just dont give people a bad impression about what kind of students are attending UCLA MED please.