I verbally abused (cussed/yelled) a CVS RPh yesterday. Should I apologize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it happens to them daily, but I feel bad now.

I was stressed out; my girlfriend had got mugged last night and all her IDs and insurance cards stolen (insurance wasn't on file because we just moved to the area), and every time I tried to deal with the CVS RPh (he looked to be rougly 40-50 yrs old) about the prescription he kept giving me attitude and acted like it was our fault for being irresponsible because we didn't have ID or her insurance card. After multiple calls to Caremark, I finally get someone on the phone to give us her ID number over the phone (they refused to do so the first several times and even claimed a CVS RPh could run it without the ID number, using only the group and PCN. I was skeptical but believed her the first time, and of course the pharmacist yelled at me for even daring to suggest such a thing to them).

So after that, he then transfer the prescription from our old pharmacy and tells us it'll be ready in a while. We go to pick it up a few hours later, and apparently he transferred the wrong profile (there was a profile with the exact same pt name, same DOB and had an RX for BC on file). OK, that's like a one in a billion coincidence, so I'm not even mad about that. But as soon as that is realized, he actually gets an attitude with me again, starts raising his voice at me about how he can't do anything about it now. Never says "sorry, there was a mistake, let me call and transfer over the correct profile." It was almost as if he genuinely believed it was my fault somehow. This is where I snapped. Under normal circumstances, I would just dealt with it myself and called the old store to make sure the RPh knows the correct profile to transfer this time, but instead I went on a tirade about how he was the most f*cking ******ed pharmacist I've ever met and told him to go f*ck himself, etc for a couple mins until he threatened to call the cops.

I feel bad now, because even though I'm no longer working retail, All my friends do and I know that environment is awful.

Should I apologize?

Members don't see this ad.

I was stressed out; my girlfriend had got mugged last night and all her IDs and insurance cards stolen (insurance wasn't on file because we just moved to the area), and every time I tried to deal with the CVS RPh (he looked to be rougly 40-50 yrs old) about the prescription he kept giving me attitude and acted like it was our fault for being irresponsible because we didn't have ID or her insurance card. After multiple calls to Caremark, I finally get someone on the phone to give us her ID number over the phone (they refused to do so the first several times and even claimed a CVS RPh could run it without the ID number, using only the group and PCN. I was skeptical but believed her the first time, and of course the pharmacist yelled at me for even daring to suggest such a thing to them).

So after that, he then transfer the prescription from our old pharmacy and tells us it'll be ready in a while. We go to pick it up a few hours later, and apparently he transferred the wrong profile (there was a profile with the exact same pt name, same DOB and had an RX for BC on file). OK, that's like a one in a billion coincidence, so I'm not even mad about that. But as soon as that is realized, he actually gets an attitude with me again, starts raising his voice at me about how he can't do anything about it now. Never says "sorry, there was a mistake, let me call and transfer over the correct profile." It was almost as if he genuinely believed it was my fault somehow. This is where I snapped. Under normal circumstances, I would just dealt with it myself and called the old store to make sure the RPh knows the correct profile to transfer this time, but instead I went on a tirade about how he was the most f*cking ******ed pharmacist I've ever met and told him to go f*ck himself, etc for a couple mins until he threatened to call the cops.

I feel bad now, because even though I'm no longer working retail, All my friends do and I know that environment is awful.

Should I apologize?

if the story happened exactly how you described it and he was the one who was rude first, f*ck apologizing.
not saying that you are lying, but sometimes people leave out the parts where they were acting like an ******* when they retell a story about an argument/conflict

Should I apologize?

Apologizing would be appropriate to put the situation behind you. Hopefully you can hold your temper in frustrating situations in the future. It'd be horrible for your career if you lost your temper like that on the job.
No doubt the pharmacist needs to work on his customer service and attitude, no matter how horrible his day has been before you came in. As for the insurance, a simple solution would have been the pharmacist or tech calling your old pharmacy and getting your insurance info from them instead of you going in circles with Caremark. At the same time the pharmacist would have transferred her scripts from the correct profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the insurance, a simple solution would have been the pharmacist or tech calling your old pharmacy and getting your insurance info from them instead of you going in circles with Caremark. At the same time the pharmacist would have transferred her scripts from the correct profile.

It was brand new insurance too. Just moved here and she just started a new job. So no pharmacy had her insurance info on file. I mean I know that's got nothing to do with being the CVS RPh's job/fault. It just all sent me over the edge and I became one of those crazy customers you hear about on here every day. I'm embarrassed about that, but at the same time, I wish someone would sit that pharmacist down and tell him that you can't get an attitude with your patient and say there's nothing you can do about the fact that you transferred the wrong profile over. All he needed to do is his job... Call the pharmacy again and transfer the correct profile over this time. Again, any other day I would've handled it better, but with my girlfriend getting mugged the night before and us handling canceling all her cards and trying get everything together so she can function in her daily life, the frustration came to a boiling point over something that should have been the easiest thing to replace in her stolen purse, birth control. I do need to get some anger management help though....

Yes, apologize.

And please keep her on BC. We don't want irresponsible parents having babies.

Sounds exciting

I have felt my temper rising once or twice but have stayed controlled. Other, more tolerant people have had patients shouting at them through the drive through multiple times - though that has never happened to me. Patients deliver food to me through the drive through :cool:

Apologizing will make that pharmacists day (or at least their technicians), It is extremely rare that I have a patient apologize to me, and I always appreciate when they do. Although I agree, the story you've told, it sounds like it was the RPH who escalated the situation, and then you snapped. Mistakes/misunderstandings/miscommunications happen, but you are correct, it wasn't your fault, and the pharmacist should have just recalled to get the correct prescription(s) transferred over instead of telling you that he couldn't do anything (I assume the pharmacy he was calling was still open, the pharmacy being closed would be pretty much the only reason why he couldn't call back and get the prescriptions transferred.)

Why did she carry her BC around in her purse?

Why did the pharmacist need to call the other store? He can just centrally search for her profile and transfer the prescription over electronically. The only reason why he can't do that is if they already filled it, then he would need to call them to back it out. So I am very confused about the whole wrong profile being transferred. He can just return what he had filled if it was wrong.

Another simple solution for this is just to pay cash for it. Bring it back and have them re-bill thru the insurance when you get that info and get a refund.

Should you apologize? Hmm...if it makes you feel better. As for me, I'd rather not see that person again in my pharmacy than to have that person come and apologize.

I think most girls do that....

Why did the pharmacist need to call the other store? He can just centrally search for her profile and transfer the prescription over electronically. The only reason why he can't do that is if they already filled it, then he would need to call them to back it out. So I am very confused about the whole wrong profile being transferred. He can just return what he had filled if it was wrong.

That's another thing I didn't understand and probably the chief reason I got so frustrated because I know this is all so incredibly routine and simple to do. He just kept giving me attitude and kept saying he couldn't do anything without even trying to explain why. Maybe we both caught each other on the wrong day?

Another simple solution for this is just to pay cash for it. Bring it back and have them re-bill thru the insurance when you get that info and get a refund.

Well he was refusing to fill the RX at this point because he didn't have the correct profile so he would be intentionally making a dispensing error to the wrong patient. Understandable, but again, all he had to do was call the other store and get the correct profile. I could have done that myself too, but you know that is kind of your job as a retail RPh.

Should you apologize? Hmm...if it makes you feel better. As for me, I'd rather not see that person again in my pharmacy than to have that person come and apologize.

Yeah I'm just going to leave it alone. The risk of us getting into another argument like that outweighs the small chance that we'll end up feeling better about the situation.

Why did she carry her BC around in her purse
I was thinking this too. Probably not the best place since you're no doubt going to take the purse to both hot and cold environments, certainly outside of the specified 68-77 range.

Now, if your friends work retail, why not give them your business? I'm sure your friend would be less likely to get in a shouting match with you.

I have no idea why anyone would carry it in their purse. I took mine in the morning and left it at home.

To your second point, if a customer screamed and dropped the F-bomb on me, I would certainly not want an apology. I'd want them GONE. I'd have called security/cops and told them to select another pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
The pharmacist whom my husband works with at CVS got called A**hole last weekend by an elder woman. To my surprise, husband was rather upset with the pharmacist than the woman because he has been rude to customers.

Anyway, if you do want to apologize, maybe send a card. You can avoid any unexpected/unappreciated results from face to face apology. Hopefully the pharmacist has had some thoughts over his behavior as well.

Last edited:
in the hallmark section there's something call sympathy. repeat what you just wrote here onto it, and give it to him. also, CVS does sell flowers (including those with thorns). :love:

the problem is not with retail pharmacies under staffed. the problem is most companies nowadays are under staffed. their cut cost attitudes have drove a lot of customers n employees insane.

Why in gods name would you apologize?

I'm a cvs pharmacist, and If you came to me and told me all of this, I don't give a flying **** if I was beyond busy, id call both the store and the insurance for you. Sure, I'd tell you to give me 2-3 hours, but id do it for you. ITS MY JOB.

Don't you dare apologize. It's pharmacists like that that piss me off that ruin it for all of us.

"irresponsible because we didn't have ID or her insurance card."

we always make our patients call their own insurance if they don't have the information. It's YOUR insurance and YOUR responsibility.

I'm a cvs pharmacist, and If you came to me and told me all of this, I don't give a flying **** if I was beyond busy, id call both the store and the insurance for you. Sure, I'd tell you to give me 2-3 hours, but id do it for you. ITS MY JOB.

Don't you dare apologize. It's pharmacists like that that piss me off that ruin it for all of us.

You are at home now. You don't have to be afraid anymore. It's OK to take your lips of a customer's b*tt.

This fool just wasted 15-30 mins of a pharmacist's time and you are apologizing profusely?

If you have to ask someone or solicit advice from the anonymous members of an internet forum you should probably apologize. If for no other reason then to make him feel like a complete ass for the way he acted.

Or you could go the passive aggressive route and call the corporate 1-800 complaint number CVS has posted everywhere. Tell them you're not calling to register a complaint but to apologize for losing you temper with one of their pharmacists. Then give them the whole story like you did above. End it with
"I felt compelled to call and apologize for my rude behavior. Even in the face of such horrendous customer service I am a better person than that and shouldn't have let him drag me down to his level. I would go back and apologize in person but his aggressive and rude behavior has me worried about his metal stability and my safety if I were to return. Please relay my apology to him.

Or something like that...

It warms my heart to hear you so proudly proclaim ITS YOUR JOB to call an insurance company and another store. God forbid the customer take any responsibility:scared:

I bet you're a good little metrics boy aren't you? Do you get a little warm fuzzy every time the DM sends you one of those little Scoobie Snack att-a boy e-mails when you hit your triple BS, CQW, B49, F4, phone timer stat whatever else they measure metrics?

You keep on keeping on DOING YOUR JOB calling the insurance company and other valuable things you spent a 120k to get a PharmD for.

It warms my heart to hear you so proudly proclaim ITS YOUR JOB to call an insurance company and another store. God forbid the customer take any responsibility:scared:

I bet you're a good little metrics boy aren't you? Do you get a little warm fuzzy every time the DM sends you one of those little Scoobie Snack att-a boy e-mails when you hit your triple BS, CQW, B49, F4, phone timer stat whatever else they measure metrics?

You keep on keeping on DOING YOUR JOB calling the insurance company and other valuable things you spent a 120k to get a PharmD for.

You're a complete ******.

The guy said his girlfriend got mugged and lost everything. Have some ****ing sympathy.

It doesn't make me warm and fuzzy when my DM says that, but it DOES make me feel good when I make a patients day by doing them a favor when they are in dire circumstances.

People like you are why pharmacists are all cynical. You guys are pissed off you spent 100k and are stuck in retail. Too bad. Either go work in a hospital and pretend to be a clinician or suck it up and do your goddamn job. Getting a script = higher script count. Doesn't matter If you work for a chain, your job in a chain is to get more scripts and make the customer happy.

Why don't you do everybody that comes to your pharmacy a favor and quit? You obviously hate your job, you think you are above it.

Why don't you do everybody that comes to your pharmacy a favor and quit?
Yeah Mountain, why don't you do every patient who walks into your cubicle a favor? Too bad you're stuck in retail.

The guy said his girlfriend got mugged and lost everything. Have some ****ing sympathy.

It doesn't make me warm and fuzzy when my DM says that, but it DOES make me feel good when I make a patients day by doing them a favor when they are in dire circumstances.

People like you are why pharmacists are all cynical. You guys are pissed off you spent 100k and are stuck in retail. Too bad. Either go work in a hospital and pretend to be a clinician or suck it up and do your goddamn job. Getting a script = higher script count. Doesn't matter If you work for a chain, your job in a chain is to get more scripts and make the customer happy.

Why don't you do everybody that comes to your pharmacy a favor and quit? You obviously hate your job, you think you are above it.

Such an awesome post. :thumbup:

To the OP, do not apologize, it was most certainly the ******* pharmacist's fault.

I can at least understand if this guy is some 18 year old kid but he has a doctorate degree and he is a pharmacist.

this one customer went ballistic on me last week. yelled for 20 minutes, called me a chink piece of **** and a chinese mother f--ker, and stormed out.
My question is, why i gotta be a chinese mother f--ker? why can't i just be a mother f--ker that wont give you your 240 oxycodones written by a physician whos clinic is 100 miles away? :D

this one customer went ballistic on me last week. yelled for 20 minutes, called me a chink piece of **** and a chinese mother f--ker, and stormed out.
My question is, why i gotta be a chinese mother f--ker? why can't i just be a mother f--ker that wont give you your 240 oxycodones written by a physician whos clinic is 100 miles away? :D

Someone needs to stop this abuse sooner than 20 minutes. Abuse prevention needs to be part of the job training for retail pharmacists.

If you have to ask someone or solicit advice from the anonymous members of an internet forum you should probably apologize. If for no other reason then to make him feel like a complete ass for the way he acted.

Or you could go the passive aggressive route and call the corporate 1-800 complaint number CVS has posted everywhere. Tell them you're not calling to register a complaint but to apologize for losing you temper with one of their pharmacists. Then give them the whole story like you did above. End it with

Or something like that...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Classic. I've worked hard to overcome my personal passive-aggressiveness, but I still appreciate a good passive-aggressive story. :laugh:

you can always take your biz elsewhere. No one puts a gun to your head and tells you to go to CVS. Why get mad because he is stupid? I just don't get people these days.

Not just in a retail setting, but in general, I can't and will not carry on a conversation with someone ranting like a fool. I generally just nod, try to be understanding, and refer them to another pharmacy close by. I've gotten pretty good about standing my ground, especially when it comes to controls.

As Carman would say, "And you will respect my authoritah!"

I don't mind the yelling and screaming any more because I learned to stop paying attention to them when they start ranting (although Im nodding and saying uh huh) but I do mind when these people with mental conditions threaten me because who knows what these people will do?

Ive been threatened multiple times that they will come back with a gun to shoot my head off or that i better watch my back because they will be waiting to stab me when Im off from work.

The manager had few front end guys to escort me to my car whenever these threats are made but I feel unsafe at times.
The upper management states that the threat needs to create "imminent" danger before I can call the authorities and any threat referring to future event wont get me protection from the legal authorities

Maybe these were all empty threats but it only takes one mad cuckoo to injure/kill me.

Whenever the threats sound/feel serious, I go to my benefits page to confirm that my life insurance and accident insurance is active. At least my family will get some financial assistance if anything happens to me.

Those situations also happened to me. At least if upper management won't do anything, file a police report. That way you have on record what happened to you. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

The sad part is that retails wont even ban people who make physical threats. Just to show you how much they care about you.

Exactly BMBiology! The front store manager acted like he didn't believe me, as if any of us would ever make something like that up. No panic buttons, caller IDs, or the recording of phone calls, showed how much that awful company cared.

The sad part is that retails wont even ban people who make physical threats. Just to show you how much they care about you.

Like many of the regulars of the SDN pharmacy forum, there's not enough cheese in the history of cheese for all your whine. Man up ya big baby.

Carry mace or something else on your person. If upper management said that to me about my safety, I would already be looking for other work.

I am a little confused by all this talk about front store/senior management and safety concerns. If I thought my safety were in jeopardy I would call the police. Not the front store manager or anyone else, just 911. I am confused why anyone who thought that they were in danger would do anything else. :shrug:

Having said that, I have only had to call the police once. My boss asked me the next day what happened, I explained, and that was that. Really not a big deal.

I am a little confused by all this talk about front store/senior management and safety concerns. If I thought my safety were in jeopardy I would call the police. Not the front store manager or anyone else, just 911. I am confused why anyone who thought that they were in danger would do anything else. :shrug:

Having said that, I have only had to call the police once. My boss asked me the next day what happened, I explained, and that was that. Really not a big deal.

Was this recent?

I had a customer who was behaving very strangely and getting agitated. I thought about calling the police, but was worried I was overreacting... so I called for security and they weren't in the store. Then I asked for the manager-on-duty and she came back to the pharmacy. The guy yelled at both of us and then left. It was odd.

Yep..I'm the ******...you got me!

The guy said his girlfriend got mugged and lost everything. Have some ****ing sympathy

Oh..my bad...his girlfriend got mugged so he gets a free pass on everything! I guess he can go to the grocery store, load up a cart with $200.00 in groceries and just throw his hands up at the check out and say "My girl friend got mugged and I have no money, credit cards or ID"..and expect someone to start calling his bank to see if they could get a credit card number. Oh, but wait, if the check out clerk equivalent of you were working they would drop everything and start calling all the banks to get his credit card number. Because that's THERE JOB said no one ever except for an idiot like you. Heaven forbid the customer take responsibility for anything!

You know what my problem was in retail? I didn't know what my real job was! Thank you for clearing it up.

suck it up and do your goddamn job. Getting a script = higher script count. Doesn't matter If you work for a chain, your job in a chain is to get more scripts

My job was to get more scripts...it all makes sense now. All that time wasted in pharmacy school...and all I needed to know was my goddamn job could be boiled down to one simple equation...Getting a script = higher script count and my job in a chain was to get more scripts.

Should I apologize?
I can understand your frustration after all the events that have happened that day, but what you said to the pharmacist was not only rude but very insulting. I agree with everyone that he should of done some things different and tried to help your situation further, however that is not reason to verbally abuse him like that. Look I used to work for CVS for 5 years and this is nothing new to him. The amount of work CVS makes pharmacist do with such little help is overwhelming for anybody so of course he is going to try and get the customer to do as much as possible so he can try and catch up on what already is a hectic environment. That is still no excuse for the way he ignored your request and even acted lazy. This is nothing new to him I bet. I am grateful for the company I work now. Our customers are not really rude but just needy. I can handle needy compared to CVS's customers who can be rude and just straight up nasty. I think you should apologize but that is just me.

To OP:

The issue of apologizing is not important at this point to show who is right or wrong but to show that you are a person who does not live as "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". I think if you apologize to the pharmacist you had problem with, it does not mean that you are wrong but it is meant that you are a forgiving person, a individual with a desire character that any society wants to have. I have tried this method many times and I have won over many people that now are my friends. Hope it sheds some light.

I can understand your frustration after all the events that have happened that day, but what you said to the pharmacist was not only rude but very insulting. I agree with everyone that he should of done some things different and tried to help your situation further, however that is not reason to verbally abuse him like that. Look I used to work for CVS for 5 years and this is nothing new to him. The amount of work CVS makes pharmacist do with such little help is overwhelming for anybody so of course he is going to try and get the customer to do as much as possible so he can try and catch up on what already is a hectic environment. That is still no excuse for the way he ignored your request and even acted lazy. This is nothing new to him I bet. I am grateful for the company I work now. Our customers are not really rude but just needy. I can handle needy compared to CVS's customers who can be rude and just straight up nasty. I think you should apologize but that is just me.

What company do you work for now? ;)

Was this recent?

Nah it was ages ago.

I have had some people be disruptive but not threatening, for which I have called the front store manager though. They hardly ever come, but that is a totally different complaint.

I get the management involved when people start cursing and verbally abuse me or the pharmacy staff.
So by the time when these threats are made, managers are already involved.
The dilemma of calling 911 is the timing for me.
I cant call them just because they are yelling/screaming/cursing.
Also these types of people make threats on their way out so I feel that its too late to call the police.
Also, wouldnt it be a HIPPA violation if I provide personal info of the person making the threat even if I dont disclose the medication that caused the entire scene?