Edit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indianb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is from Page 24 of the MCAT essentials. I guess, Adcoms can see you took but voided a test and this may come up during interviews. As long you can explain it, you should be fine. Maybe, someone with an experience like this can explain better.

 Information from voided exams is not included on any score reports that are sent to medical schools. However, indication of a voided exam will be displayed in the MCAT Score Reporting System after the scheduled score release date for you to see.

 A voided exam does count toward your testing limits. (See Testing More Than Once and Testing Limits.) Regardless of the reason you choose to void your exam, you must wait at least 48 hours from your original test date and time to register for a new test date.

This is from Page 24 of the MCAT essentials. I guess, Adcoms can see you took but voided a test and this may come up during interviews.

Wrong interpretation. Adcoms will probably never see it. It is for the applicant to see, not adcoms.

I got sick prior to the test. However, I felt fine but threw up in the middle of my break and didn't eat/felt tired. I couldn't focus and had to void. I did amazingly well on the practice exams from AAMC, so I was obviously disappointed after the test. But, after I saw a few posts here my heart sank as ADCOMs say they can see it and it has a negative impact on admission. is this true? If so, what can they actually see?

I plan on taking the mcat on the next available date.
This has been asked and answered on here multiple times and is on the AAMC site. No one sees a voided or cancelled MCAT date, but the voided exam does count against your 3/year 7/lifetime limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been asked and answered on here multiple times and is on the AAMC site. No one sees a voided or cancelled MCAT date, but the voided exam does count against your 3/year 7/lifetime limit.

edit

Last edited:
Voided exams are not SENT to the schools with the AMCAS package. Neither are no-shows.

HOWEVER, there is (or was 2 years ago with new MCAT) a portal where med school admissions officers CAN and MIGHT and DO see how many times an applicant has taken a test, voided, etc.

So yes, they could do that (in the old days, pre-2015 there was no way for admissions officers to know, that changed with the new exam).

@Goro @gyngyn - still true?

Voided exams are not SENT to the schools with the AMCAS package. Neither are no-shows.

HOWEVER, there is (or was 2 years ago with new MCAT) a portal where med school admissions officers CAN and MIGHT and DO see how many times an applicant has taken a test, voided, etc.

So yes, they could do that (in the old days, pre-2015 there was no way for admissions officers to know, that changed with the new exam).

I haven't checked lately, but I guess I could do some reconnaissance...

Reactions: 1 users
I have yet to see in any apps where the voids are mentioned, and it's never been discussed at our Adcom meetings.

Reactions: 1 user
I used to fret about these things too before I applied to med school... Don't worry about it. Adcoms don't have the time and energy to look at each applicant in that much detail (Nor do they care to even if they could, they'd go nuts themselves). Just do good on the MCAT and you'll be fine. The WORST WORST case scenario, if they even bring it up, is ask why you voided, you say you felt sick and you are glad that the AAMC allows you to void for etc etc reasons, and you move forward.

In short, focus on the Big Fish.

I have yet to see in any apps where the voids are mentioned, and it's never been discussed at our Adcom meetings.
Thank you, I figured the AAMC would not be wrong about their own system. Typical pre-med paranoia.

But, there have been multiple threads which say that voided exams can be seen by adcoms if they go through the portal. They state that it is a feature of the new mcat.
I'm gonna go with the AAMC on this, not what random threads say on SDN. We even have a longtime adcom on here saying they have never seen it. Please do not help spread misinformation.

To think that adcoms have the time, or inclination to see voided exams (even if they could via the MSRS) is ridiculous. If there is one real story or evidence to support this has ever happened, I have yet to see it.

Study hard, if you need to void, void. No one will ever know why you voided if, in a 1 in a million chance, they even try to find out. Wasted energy if you ask me.
Thanks @Goro

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.