I Wanna go to UCLA dental school..Need your help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balance

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the DAT and I got 22 overall, my overall GPA is 3.6. I graduated from USC 5 years ago with a engineering degree and working as IT manager ever since. I am going to send my application on June/12/04 to AADSAS. I really want to go to the UCLA dental school. Do you guys know what are my chances to get into the UCLA dental school with these numbers. Also, can I do something to make myself more competative. Please adivse.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Never gonna get in, don't even try.

JROGOFF,

why? could you elaborate? by the way, you are really made me hopeful with your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping you would pick up the sarcasm of that staremant, but i guess not. Your stats are awesome man, you could get into the school of your choice.

Great stats, balance.
I am sure you will get into a dental school. May i ask why ucla is so attractive to u?
If you really want to get into one particular school, you have to show them what you could do for their program. What could you bring to ucla that makes us better? What could you do with your engineering background to benefit dentistry?

May I ask you a few more questions:
What have u been doing in yrs after graduation?
Why do you decide to switch career?
How will your family adjust to u being a student again?
Then a few more things: EC is quite important. Shadowing experience, volunteering. Please take the predental denture course and the 80 hrs volunteer program at ucla. That will give u a better feel about the sch. No place is perfect. You just have to find one that fits u best.

TROJANS BOOOOOOOO :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

J/K

Now it is evident that you have the ability to succeed in dental school. The next question Adcoms will ask is "Will this person make a good dentist?" In other words, since you have the number, try to show them your goal, desire and interest in dental profession.

So suppose you got into UCLA, would you root for U$C or UCLA in rose bowl? ;)

hi Balance,

hey, those are really nice stats you've got there! :) You must be really proud. From what you must have already concluded on your own from the AADSAS app, volunteer work-- both in dentistry and in the community is asked for, as well as research. i was pretty weak in research (didn't get to do anything awesome like publish or anything), but it still panned out for me... when i went to interview, three of us were dental assistants. So i think it's pretty safe to say that they take shadowing experience pretty seriously, so i HIGHLY recommend your getting involved in UCLA's dental clinic volunteer program if you may not have had as much time as you would've liked to shadow. You can find more info on it on the web... lemme see..

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=345

just scroll on down to the bottom of that page. now, i personally feel that i barely made it into UCLA by the skin of my teeth (no pun intended) and as a wet-behind-the-ears entering student, i certainly am NO authority on how to improve your app, so in addition to frequenting this site, please establish contact with the office of admissions so that they become familiar with you, and ask them this same question and others that you may have along the way. they will notice that-- and i think that other schools tend to notice it as well. They really like it when you're proactive-- just don't overdo it, if you catch my drift. :p

Best wishes to you,
Sincerely, Sujain

toothpixie said:
hi Balance,

hey, those are really nice stats you've got there! :) You must be really proud. From what you must have already concluded on your own from the AADSAS app, volunteer work-- both in dentistry and in the community is asked for, as well as research. i was pretty weak in research (didn't get to do anything awesome like publish or anything), but it still panned out for me... when i went to interview, three of us were dental assistants. So i think it's pretty safe to say that they take shadowing experience pretty seriously, so i HIGHLY recommend your getting involved in UCLA's dental clinic volunteer program if you may not have had as much time as you would've liked to shadow. You can find more info on it on the web... lemme see..

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=345

just scroll on down to the bottom of that page. now, i personally feel that i barely made it into UCLA by the skin of my teeth (no pun intended) and as a wet-behind-the-ears entering student, i certainly am NO authority on how to improve your app, so in addition to frequenting this site, please establish contact with the office of admissions so that they become familiar with you, and ask them this same question and others that you may have along the way. they will notice that-- and i think that other schools tend to notice it as well. They really like it when you're proactive-- just don't overdo it, if you catch my drift. :p

Best wishes to you,
Sincerely, Sujain

Do they really remember you? Wow, it's like a campaigne. Anyways, does anyone have the dental school number. I want to start early on my campaigne. BTW, do you guys think it's better to volunteer at the UCLA dental clinic or at a private practice. I think I can get a job at a local dental office on Westwood (whiter and brighter). Do you learn more at a private practice or at the dental school?

Balance, your stats are awesome. A 3. 6 is awesome for an engineering major. They will love you.

luckily i had a chance to do both... assuming things haven't changed for the volunteer program at UCLA, i was sent to volunteer a certain amount of time at each department-- patient intake, the chartroom, billing, central sterilization, and the labs. Each person who supervised me then wrote a little letter commenting on me to the clinic director. When i finished the program, i was sent to interview with the clinic director, who later on wrote an overall letter about me for me to keep in my file. I used it as one of my letters of rec. While volunteering there, i got a lot of contact with the students there, and that was extremely cool.

volunteering at a dental office is also invaluable, i had a chance to do both front and back office work, and chairside assisted. another letter of rec was nice to have too. it really does depend on the dentist, though. i came across two who were awesome, but quite a few before were uncomfortable with me being there. so i just kept on searching, and got real lucky.

Miravyn, you are in the unique position of volunteering so very close to the ucla campus-- is there any way you can split your volunteer time between both places?

To "campaign" might be pushing it a little ;) i have heard of dental schools that write down the names of those who call and keep in touch with them. It just shows interest, that's all. can't hurt. Besides, that's also part of what they're there for-- to answer these kinds of questions. You just become more familiar to them in the process. You become more than just a piece of paper in front of them. there are a few stories i've heard from admissions advisors who gave talks at my school that told of students who had apps that blended in with all the others but stood out due to their spirit and interest. Well, that's just my 2 cents. all their contact info is on their website.

toothpixie said:
luckily i had a chance to do both... assuming things haven't changed for the volunteer program at UCLA, i was sent to volunteer a certain amount of time at each department-- patient intake, the chartroom, billing, central sterilization, and the labs. Each person who supervised me then wrote a little letter commenting on me to the clinic director. When i finished the program, i was sent to interview with the clinic director, who later on wrote an overall letter about me for me to keep in my file. I used it as one of my letters of rec. While volunteering there, i got a lot of contact with the students there, and that was extremely cool.

volunteering at a dental office is also invaluable, i had a chance to do both front and back office work, and chairside assisted. another letter of rec was nice to have too. it really does depend on the dentist, though. i came across two who were awesome, but quite a few before were uncomfortable with me being there. so i just kept on searching, and got real lucky.

Miravyn, you are in the unique position of volunteering so very close to the ucla campus-- is there any way you can split your volunteer time between both places?

To "campaign" might be pushing it a little ;) i have heard of dental schools that write down the names of those who call and keep in touch with them. It just shows interest, that's all. can't hurt. Besides, that's also part of what they're there for-- to answer these kinds of questions. You just become more familiar to them in the process. You become more than just a piece of paper in front of them. there are a few stories i've heard from admissions advisors who gave talks at my school that told of students who had apps that blended in with all the others but stood out due to their spirit and interest. Well, that's just my 2 cents. all their contact info is on their website.

Thanks so much for your response. I think I will try both then. Hopefully I can find time to do it all.

Thank you all for your advises, what a great web-site.

Here is a little more about me:

I have been doing volunteer work at a dentist office; also I am involved in a research as well and community activities.
I have been working as an IT manager since graduation in 1999.
Also, I was applying to the dental schools in 1998, due to family issues I had to postpone my graduate studies, now I am ready to go to dental school.

Why UCLA? I am married and my wife cannot relocate from southern California, so I have to either go to UCLA or USC. UCLA is a few miles away from my home, and I want to try a different school. Also, I like to continue my research that I am involved in at UCLA. So, I appreciate if you guys can advise me more. Is UCLA or USC would be a better choice for me?

By the way, I heard UCLA dental students do better on the boards and usually end up in the specialty program. Is this true?

Thank you all.

Definitely, your desire to involve in research can be a plus when it comes to UCLA dental school admission.

Indeed, UCLA dental students do well on the boards but it does not mean that going to UCLA will guarantee you a high score. It all depends on how much efforts you put into, not which dental school you go to. Same for specialty. Some people may argue that going to UCLA or other highly known school will give you a better chance of getting into specialty program but I highly doubt this is true. As long as you rank high, do well on the boards and show a strong desire, you will most likely to get into that specialty.

Lastly, I would highly recommend you to apply to many other schools besides UCLA and USC. Is living in LA only option for you? Since the dental school admission gets tougher each year, there is no guarantee that you will get into a paritcular school (Even if you have good grades/EC's) Consequently, it would be a good idea to consider other schools such as UOP, LLU, UCSF and out-of-state schools as well.

I wish you the best of luck in your dental application school journey and feel free to ask us any question you have. Welcome to SDN! :)

Dentalist

balance said:
Thank you all for your advises, what a great web-site.

Here is a little more about me:

I have been doing volunteer work at a dentist office; also I am involved in a research as well and community activities.
I have been working as an IT manager since graduation in 1999.
Also, I was applying to the dental schools in 1998, due to family issues I had to postpone my graduate studies, now I am ready to go to dental school.

Why UCLA? I am married and my wife cannot relocate from southern California, so I have to either go to UCLA or USC. UCLA is a few miles away from my home, and I want to try a different school. Also, I like to continue my research that I am involved in at UCLA. So, I appreciate if you guys can advise me more. Is UCLA or USC would be a better choice for me?

By the way, I heard UCLA dental students do better on the boards and usually end up in the specialty program. Is this true?

Thank you all.

Dentalist,

thanks for response. I guess I have to say I am only considering southern califronia and if I am not getting accpeted this year then I have to apply next year.

Thanks

balance said:
Dentalist,

thanks for response. I guess I have to say I am only considering southern califronia and if I am not getting accpeted this year then I have to apply next year.

Thanks

With your qualifications, I'm sure you can get in. Don't worry too much.

miravyn,

Thank you for your moral support.

i have a 3.48 overall GPA, and overall 22 on the DAT, with a 17 :eek: :( on the PAT. honestly, i was a bit worried about my chances in california. i was floored by my 22 for the DAT, and immediately was on my knees kissing the ground, but the GPA and perceptual had a lot of people cringing when i would tell them my stats. (So don't ever be like me and let others get you down... we can only do the best we can.) UCLA was my "reach" school, and i also applied to UOP and USC. i ended up having to stay in so cal for family as well, and i was fully prepared to re-apply if i didn't get into any of the schools. i don't want to sound like a broken record here, but i just can't stress it enough. my wanting to go to UCLA was so strong, at times it physically hurt to think about it. so if you want to increase your chances at UCLA, go for their predental courses, and volunteer program, and anything else they have to offer to get your name out there. i cannot guarantee you that it's foolproof, but you've got nothing to lose and SO MUCH to gain! I only had a chance to do their volunteer program, but i learned so much! and i have heard really great things about their pre-dent courses. i kick myself for not having gotten involved in those when i had the time... so hang in there Balance and Miravyn, and if you do choose to volunteer at UCLA or take a course or two, pour your heart into it. i do believe that they notice your level of determination and work ethic.

Toothpixie,

What a coincident I have the same exact DAT scores as you! I am working full time and I won't be able to attend the UCLA volunteer program? Also, I am currently helping a dentist.
How are the pre-dent classes, are they offered on the week-ends?

i know Balance, sometimes the hardest part is finding the time to do it all in... we all sacrifice according to how much we really want something, although for some, it is much harder to do so. see if it is at all possible for you. here's the page; scroll down, and all the info you need on pre-dent courses offered by UCLA is right above their Volunteer Program. The UCLA website is a really great resource. Looks like the courses are all taking place this month... so i hope it works out for you! :)

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=345#predental

toothpixie said:
i know Balance, sometimes the hardest part is finding the time to do it all in... we all sacrifice according to how much we really want something, although for some, it is much harder to do so. see if it is at all possible for you. here's the page; scroll down, and all the info you need on pre-dent courses offered by UCLA is right above their Volunteer Program. The UCLA website is a really great resource. Looks like the courses are all taking place this month... so i hope it works out for you! :)

http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=345#predental

toothpixie,

Thank you so much. I just contacted UCLA and luckily the pre-dent classes are on the week-ends, I should be able to squeeze it in my schedule. As far as volunteer at UCLA, do u think my working in a dental office is sufficient?

hi Balance,

i think it's great that you work at a dental office-- as long as we get some good exposure is what ultimately matters. :) Of course, with the UCLA volunteer program, the adcom knows exactly what that involves and what us volunteers are exposed to, and they know the people who supervise us. The only thing about volunteering at a dental office is that what we get to do depends on how comfortable the dentist is with us. i was really blessed to finally come across a couple of dentists who really took me under their wing. Are you getting alot of patient contact, both chairside and otherwise, do you have some stories to tell for interview about your dental office experiences-- i could be totally wrong here when it comes to others and what was stressed upon during their interviews, but i had questions during my interview that fell along those lines. For me, volunteering allowed me to see how dentistry could have good days and bad days. But after each day, i still knew that this was what i wanted to do. :p i wish i knew if the adcom had a preference between the two (dental office/clinic vs. UCLA clinic volunteering), but i really don't. i know very little about what works and what doesn't, but i can't imagine that your not being in the UCLA volunteer program will hurt your chances-- you really do have a lot going for you as it is! plus, i'm glad to hear that you'll get involved in their pre-dent courses. That's something i wasn't able to do. So it looks like you've got all your bases covered, Balance, which is great! Dental office work, community service, research, solid stats, the pre-dent courses, early applicant-- you've got a LOT going for you. :luck:

Best Wishes, my friend.